•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

2.9 engine pull write-up?

moronic_kaos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
So I sold my F150 to someone who was a bit short on cash, so they threw a 5 speed 4x4 bronco II in with the deal. I gotta say this truck is way more fun to drive than the old Jeep I used to own, but it leaks about a quart of oil every 15 minutes. Oil pan gasket believe it or not. I had to look at it like 10 times before I believed it.

I've wrapped my head around the fact that I'm gonna have to pull the engine out to do this, but the only engines I've ever had to lift out and drop in were front wheel drive automatics. So if someone could point me in a direction of a good write-up with pictures so I don't frig up my clutch or drop this engine on my head then id appreciate it. All I know about standard transmissions is how to drive them.

Thanks

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Its pretty simple.
Disconnect neg cable from battery.

Disconnect starter.

Disconnect front and rear driveshafts, lower the tcase down as low as possible to reach the tranny bolts.

Slide tranny back.

Disconnect motor mounts and engine wiring and fuel lines and yank engine.

Thats just the basics, feel free to add to this.

Or just get a Haynes book from your parts store or library.

Good luck

NEVERDONE86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
The 2.9 is simple to pull. Trans bolts, all wiring n hoses, exhaust bolts, engine mounts, fuel lines, i pulled the rad for clearence.... And just misc stuff. Not hard at all. If you buy a haynes it will help.
Good luck.

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Pull the motor just to change the pan gasket? Sounds like a PITA. Is there any way to unbolt the mounts and jack it up enough to slide it out?

NEVERDONE86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
By the time u jack it up high enough, u have pulled the engine. Im not saying it cant be done but id just pull it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
if it has a body lift you can do it in the truck, otherwise its easier to pull it ime.

pull it and do the rear main too along with the intake and valve covers...take a long day to dig it out and clean it all up and stuff but at least it will be fresh and clean.

fyre82

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
My credo
The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime
Its definitely not that big of a deal. I pulled and put mine back alone and did not pull the tranny. I do have a body lift which I love for the ease of getting to the top tranny bolts. In that case I just jacked up the tranny a bit to stab the clutch, used long bolts to suck it together and put the rest of the accessories back. If you are unsure of the wiring, color tape match the connectors, although they are all different and some unused.

Good luck

Rich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
yeah....the wiring is fairly straight forward.

i agree its easier to pull and like previously mentioned a basic freshen and reseal if funds allow go a long way for maint.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yeah, if you can pull the engine from a FWD auto, you can do this. Undo the 6 bell bolts, the 4 y-pipe to manifold bolts, undo all the bundle of connectors next to the brake master/PS pump, remove the radiator, set the PS pump aside. Get the starter off and then unhook the computer inside and feed it through the firewall, and then get the ground cables off the engine. Unhook the fuel rail, unbolt the mounts at either side, and then pull the engine out.

It took me about 2 hours working by myself with hand tools.

moronic_kaos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Souds pretty easy. Is there anything I should have to worry about though when re-installing the engine like messing with the clutch hydrolics or adjustment of some sort? Or does it just all stay in place and line up as it was?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
pinching wire etc...basic shit....the exaust can be a assbiter though.