•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

4.0 Conversion Question

Stubbie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L soon to be 4.0
I am needing information, I have an 89 Bronco II in my shop that belongs to my son in the Marine Corp. I am going to get it running and out of my shop. The 2.9 has cracked heads (go figure). I also have a complete donor 96 Explorer with a 4.0 for this conversion. My Question... has anyone done an OBD2 to OBD1 swap? What are the issues with the wiring harness? :icon_confused:

Last edited:

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
This member just finished(Oct.) a 2.9 to 4.0 swap, he might be able to answer some of your questions

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132893&highlight=2.9+4.0+swap

Not for nothin', but have you considered a trade, i.e. trading your working 4.0 engine for a working 2.9

No wiring or power train issues to deal with and you "may" be able to get a couple of bucks to boot, lol, probably not but hey worth a shot.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
a trade with a 1996 4.0 for a more easily swapping in 1990-92 or 1993 4.0 might work out better.

Remember that swapping for a running 2.9 is like trading for a discarded hand at the world series of poker.

The last new 2.9 engine was manufactured sometime in early 1991...

AD

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
the obd II swap is very time consuming.... I'd love to have done it on mine but the wiring looks terrible lol

Scott B.

EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 / '06
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0, 4.0 L SOHC
An OBD II swap is a lot of work - a lot of extra chassis wiring.

I suggest finding either a pre-OBD II (1996, I believe) Ranger or Explorer to swap, or an engine wiring harness and computer from one of those vehicles to use with your existing Ex engine.

I just re-read your post: If you are asking about using the '96 engine in an OBD I setup - that's the easy way. Grab a computer and wiring harness, and you are in business.

You could almost use your current wiring harness, but I think the computer mismatch will be a problem.

Stubbie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L soon to be 4.0
Thanks for the quick replies. Here is a little more food for thought. You all know the difference low budget and no budget? Well this is a "no budget" conversion. I have the space, the skills and I am retired, so I have the time.
This is the first time I have delt with an OBD2 ECM and am trying to figure out if there is going to be a "gotcha" or a real show stopper.
My Explorer is an auto trans, so I know the first change is to get an ECM for a standard trans. What role does the Speedometer play (if any)? Will the Electric fuel pump for the 2.9 support the 4.0?

“Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it.” Sir Henry Royce

Stubbie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L soon to be 4.0
Yes! Scott B, I am trying to put the 96 OBD2 4.0 into the 89 OBD1 bronco II.

“Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it.” Sir Henry Royce

ronclark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
that's the easy way. Grab a computer and wiring harness, and you are in business.

You could almost use your current wiring harness, but I think the computer mismatch will be a problem.
I would do as Scott B suggested use the motor and get a 90 to 93 explorer (rangers changed ECU spots at some point) harness and ECU.
Other wise your looking at a lot of harness changes, and i do believe the ECU is in a difference place.

If you are set on going OBD II, i am pretty sure your looking at swapping the whole dash just to makes things more simple. I am not sure when thy went to electronic speedos

Stubbie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L soon to be 4.0
Okay guys, Just to be clear. It sounds like I can use my 96 4.0 engine in my 89 Bronco II with an ECU and harness from a 90-93 Explorer. This is just the Info I was looking for. Thank you all so much!

ronclark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Okay guys, Just to be clear. It sounds like I can use my 96 4.0 engine in my 89 Bronco II with an ECU and harness from a 90-93 Explorer. This is just the Info I was looking for. Thank you all so much!
If you do decide to use 93 Explorer harness i have copy's of the EVTMs i can send you.

Plan on getting EVTM's from the 89 bronco II and one for what ever harness you decide to use it will make your job way easier.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If you have unlimited time and the skills/experience to do it, the OBDII swap is 100% doable. Most of us don't bother with it because it is not something that is easy to do and we do not have unlimited time.

Since you are dealing with a very early OBDII computer there should not be any real "gotchas". The IC is not a module in it's own right, there is no PATS system to deal with, no module network. I think the worst thing you might run across with gotchas is the auto to manual swap. The early harnesses were all the same with a jumper plug across the clutch switch to make it auto. I do not know how far that goes into the 90s.

I say go for it. Swap dashes if you must, there will be modifications involved in that. I would try to make it work with the 89 dash. A lot of the work should simply be cutting and replacing connectors.

The VSS/speedo signal will figure into things like cruise control and trans shifting for an auto. If you have a manual the computer will want to see one present (even my 87 wants to see one, I have codes for a missing VSS because I never plugged the sensor back in last time I had the trans out), but it won't be used for a whole lot.

Stubbie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L soon to be 4.0
You guys are the best! I am headed to the shop now!

yeeharacing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Not to hijack but kindof on the same topic and I did not want to start a new thread...

I have a TRS member that offered me a 2000 Explorer 4.0 that I'm thinking of putting in my 94 Ranger XLT 5spd 4x4 to replace the nightmare of a 4.0 currently residing in the truck. What would need to be done to make this motor work with my ECM? Or can I just swap the sensors and intake off my existing motore to the new one and be up and running.

This is my DD that just blew a HD gasket and I need it up and running with the least amount of down time and easiest swap.

PlumCrazy

Solid Axle Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
If the Expo is OHV then then just swap your harness over and run it. If your truck is non-egr then you need to swap intakes as well. The 2000 will have a cam sensor, just leave it there since you wont have anything to plug into it, or swap your oil pump drive over from your engine.
The 2000 will have the plastic intake, and the EGR moved down, but you should be able to reach everything with your harness. You will need to run the 2000 vacuum lines if you keep the plastic intake on it.

-PlumCrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
how far from i75 are you?

do you want ac? with the 96 you can easily still stand alone those systems, though running with a manual can bring some gremlins

Last edited: