•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

4.0 in my 84 with a 2.8? t-case?

Lockwood BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I have an 84 bII with a 2.8, 5 speed, and manual tcase, my friend wrecked his 1996 explorer sport with the 4.0 setup i need. well my question is, i read and understand the motor swap, but if i keep the auto out of the explorer instead of my 5 speed am i gonna have a problem, now what about the tcase? will my manual tcase work or????????? Please and thank you

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
7111127 just did a swap similar to this. Might wanna holler at him.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
from my searching, if u use the pcm for the auto tranny it should work fine, u can use your current pedal assemly i believe, by taking out the rod that holds the pedals on and using the auto pedal on it. your manual t-case should work fine, but why go with the auto, it would be much easier to use your current 5spd with the 4.0 flywheel and clutch

not trying to hijack the thread but i thought about the 4.0 swap in my 85, but dont know how you hook the 4.0 harness to the 85 body harness that runs to the guages and whatnot, is it plug and play? or do u have to splice the old connections to the 4.0 harness?

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
There will probably be some splicing involved. Plus, being an 85, there is a chance his 5spd is a tk5. A 4.0 will OBLITERATE that tranny.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The 4.0 will obliterate anything less than an M5. It's a driveline killer.

will1861

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
plus 1 on the pedal assembly, just did it my self. Try to adapt his wiring harness. The dash harness is going to be harder maybe you can update the newer dash too, but I'm no where sure about that. But anything can be done with enough hard work.

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
not trying to hijack the thread but i thought about the 4.0 swap in my 85, but dont know how you hook the 4.0 harness to the 85 body harness that runs to the guages and whatnot, is it plug and play? or do u have to splice the old connections to the 4.0 harness?
Use the entire harness and dash. From what I've read, people have swapped in the entire dash. None of this is plug and play, there will always be a little splicing involved. The engine is the easy part, its the figuring out of the wiring thats hard.

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
There will be splicing. If I were doing a an '84-85, I would swap the dash from the Explorer as well.

I wouldn't use your current 5 speed, it wont last long. You can use the Auto, but I have no idea what shifter will work...the '84's has floor shifter I beleive? You'll have to find one in a junkyard and make it work with the tranny you have. Personally, I would find an M5OD and swap it in. Much better tranny.

You will need the fuel pump and lines up to the filter on the frame from a 2.9 BII, and if you are lucky the Explorers fuel lines coming off the motor will tie in to your new 2.9 BII lines. It worked for me on one of the 4.0 swap I did.

Good luck!

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Good to see you on here lockwood Ive enjoyed reading your mine trips and wildlife photography especially the horses on RENO 4x4 .com.The 4.0 is a good switch what most people do is change the dash and steering column and you only hook up the lights and acc. outside the 96 wiring.The A4Ld is really prone to problems if you could find an M 50DR1 witch is the tranny in most Ford Rangers Explorers after 91 or 92.Your tranny will bolt up to the 4.0 but that motor can break it.I didn't hear any mention that you need the fuel pump from the Explorer for more pressure.The 4.0 is a real popular conversion for a good reason it works real well.

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Use the entire harness and dash. From what I've read, people have swapped in the entire dash. None of this is plug and play, there will always be a little splicing involved. The engine is the easy part, its the figuring out of the wiring thats hard.
I used the dash and complete wiring harness from a 94 explorer in my 88 Bii, there is a few holes you need to drill in the body for parts of the harness to pass through, but it is not that hard to do. Once you have the explorer harness and dash in it's plug and play :)

Louis