•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

4.0 wireing

broncointhemaking

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 going to a 4.0 now
I am 17 and doing my first motor swap EVER and up till now I have done well. I got to the wireing and hit the issue of what goes where. I am swaping a 1995 4.0 out of an explorer 4X4 into a 1986 Bronco 2 2.9EFI. Any one thats gone through a simular problemb please help. Also if you have pictures that would greatly help. Thanks.

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Using a 95+ engine greatly complicates things. My only suggestion is to get wire diagrams for both and get to work.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Yeah.....using the 95+ wiring and engine does complicate things greatly. You'll also need to find a way to adapt an EVAP sytem to the BII. You'll have to run a Catalytic convertor to keep the PCM happy.

What you need is a 4.0, wiring (all from the headlights to the cannon plug on the fre wall), PCM, Y-pipe, etc. from a 90-92 Ranger or 91-94 Explorer. This wiring is a little easier to adapt to the engine bay and ALOT easier to hook up.

nate12346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
What I ended up doing is buying the whole wrecked explorer and literally transferred every wire from the explorer over to the B2. Then I just plugged everything in! :) Took less time than sitting and figuring out each wire.

broncointhemaking

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 going to a 4.0 now
were you able to use the same stearing column and controls when you switched the wires out like that?:icon_thumby:

nate12346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yeah I was able to keep everything in, but I didn't have any controls to begin with. Everything is manual in my rig. I did have to do a little wire work with the dash gauges and small things here and there, like the headlights/breaks. I have no reverse lights, mostly because I got lazy.

My check engine light comes on only because I kept the BII Exhaust system and they only had one O2 Sensor on the Y pipe. The explorer had one on each header.

nate12346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
no i just spliced the explorer wiring into the BII headlights and taillights

broncointhemaking

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 going to a 4.0 now
do you happen to have any pics because im very visual and if you dont dont worry about it