•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

63" Chevy's into B2... Need some advice!

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
63" Chevy's into B2... The Progress Continues

I am just starting on my 63" swap. I got a set of Teraflex lift shackles, and 5.5" lift ProComp 63" springs. My goal was to lose the old Skyjacker springs and blocks and gain a bit of flex. I already pulled the overload and angle shim out of the spring pack. My question is. Will the front spring mounting be in an ok place? Its obviously only mocked up in the pics and havent made gussets and such. I dont have any scrape marks on my old springs, radius arms or frame in that area. But I am wondering if its ok to mount them there. How will it affect my roll center? Is it worth all the extra work to move them up an inch or so? What do you guys think?

Old NON UA proof Belltechs and new Teraflex shackles

4" Skyjackers and 3" blocks

New 63" vs Skyjackers

Proposed mounting spot

Underside view

Other side view with original springs and blocks

Last edited:

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Here is what I have come up with so far... it doesnt hand any lower than my radius arm mounts and the truck sits level with NO BLOCKS!! I wonder if its worth modifying the front mount a bit more to gain maybe another inch of clearance, but then I might need to add the overload strictly for height. Should I just leave it along and get to fabbin'??? As soon as I get this done, I can drop the 60 in. Hopefully with these springs and Ruff Stuff spring perches, I can ditch the traction bar.

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
I have to say, this may be tech library worthy. Looks good keep going.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Inboarding then wouldnt of gained any ground clearance since they are already even with the bottom of the frame. Most likely it would of made it much less stable from the springs being quite a bit closer together.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Coast Mountain Crawlers
Supporting Member
Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2002/2008
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/4.0L/6.4L
Where did you get the shackles from Shay? I've been looking for something beefier to replace my homemade ones.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Sasquatch,
They are Teraflex XJ shackles

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Why not use the stock front hangers and then move your rear out to the bumper? It seems like this is a better option. I'm currently pondering how I'm gonna do my setup as well.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The thought has crossed my mind about doing it that way. However, not sure about fuel tank interference and also what my sheetmetal would look like. The 6" stretch would sure make it a better wheeler, but again, concerned with sheetmetal and the fuel tank.

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
I wouldn't suggest running the springs without the OL leafs, you'd be chancing spring fatigue right at the leaf perch (not to mention it will also increase spring windup).
Find some flatter overload leafs to put in there (say, stock RBV ones maybe) and mount them with the long side forward. This will maintain some support under the leaves right at the axle perch without hindering your flex much.

I can only see good from a handling aspect with the mount below the frame like that, however as you already noted, you do lose clearance. I think the springs being longer would provide some of the same benefits as the lower mount would (less flex steer, etc.) which I think it might be worth the time to fab up a bracket to mount them on the side of the frame (incorporating the body mount bracket into it) to gain some clearance.
Don't get real hopeful about ditching your traction bar with leafs in a SOA config though.

FWIW, I moved my axle back 3" and no clearance issues with the fuel tank or it's skid plate, so you'd only have to go about 3" forward with the mounts while using the Chevy leafs to put your axle in a similar position as mine. YMMV with the D60 though.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I might put the OL's back in and play with it some more. Im actually toying with the idea of going the full 6". It should just clear the tank. Looks like the shackles would go on the back of the bumper or even on the inside of the bumper... maybe get carried away with the body work and try this...

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Yeah I have thought about the fuel tank clearance, my sheet metal is already cut off back pretty far. I also have a chopped top and have been thinking about mounting a fuel cell up higher in the back so I wouldnt have to worry about that part. Im not sure I want to undertake all that at this point. Im alrady dying to get this thing out in the dirt.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Looks like 3" back will be where I start. 6" with a D60 puts me right into the fuel tank. That is one big differential! I will keep you updated on my new mounts and progress.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
i vote moving the tank :D

i like the spot, but it will be a bitch if you need to do anythint to that body mount.

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Replace/upgrade what you can with the body mount now and you wont have to worry about it for a good long time.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I recently replaced all the body mounts with new poly stuff. Shouldnt need to fool with anything for a while. As for the stretch, looks like I will start fooling with a 3" stretch. I moved it back 6" and the D60 runs right into the fuel tank.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
ah. maybe a fuel cell? just a thought...

as for the mounting, i like it. just make sure that you account for shackle angle, so it doesn't flip on you by accident

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Are you doing an engine swap too? Why the D60? seems a bit overkill for a V6.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D60 Overkill? Ask the two 8.8's that have been broken behind the V6 and doubler.... D60 Should be a nice upgrade.

No fuel cell in the rig, has to stay underneath. We do way to much camping and exploring to lose any cargo room. The 3" stretch should be just the ticket then.

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Are you saying I should rethink my 8.8 swap? I do have a 9inch laying around but it needs a lot more work than the 8.8 I have. What did you break?