•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

89 bronco II wont start

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
it cranked, but it wouldn't catch. The fix was a new TPS, but I highly doubt that this is your problem since it was a much newer car. A lot more stuff depended on that TPS circuit.

Do you have 12 volts to the coil? I'd be far more interested in your weak spark than in other things at this point. If you can get a nice blue spark and it still won't catch then I'd worry about other stuff.

awagner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
coil voltage is good. changed fuel filter and it was full of dirt. how do i check injectors?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Do you smell fuel on the plugs when you crank on it will tell you if your getting fuel. If your getting fuel and spark it should fire unless you skipped a tooth or two on the timing chain. A weak spark will not ignite the fuel mix either. Check all your grounds to the computer and coil take apart and sand any corrosion or rust away. get a spark plug tester to check out the spark if your not sure you should see a crisp blue snap or just hold it and see if your knees buckle and ur heart stops or just flutters. No dont do that test it hurts and is not very accurate. How many miles does that engine have if it dont have good compression and the cylinders are bad evenly pull the timing cover and check the chain and gears if it is stock it probably needs a chan and cam gear anyway but I always change both gears while you have it apart.

fordrocks1986

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 L v6
Take them off and take to a parts store and have them tested I'm haveing this same problem its like 15$ a injector for test and new seals this is a pain in the ass for me to

Last edited:

awagner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
ok finally got a code reader and it gave me a system checks good? now i am even more confused

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Your compression is ok and will probably get better when running at least it is even and within 5%. maybe get a spark tester and see how it does are you sure the timing is correct can you see the timing mark with a light on the #1 plug wire around 10 dbtdc with the spout unplugged and did you try spraying starter fluid in the throttle body while cranking you have to be missing something. Hold the throttle about half open while someone cranks on it while you spray some starting fluid in. If the plugs are wet is it fuel could be water in the tank maybe ur buddie playing a prank how long has it been sitting. Can you disconnect the fuel line and use the pump to fill a quart jar about half full and see if you have separation water being on the bottom or pour some good fuel from the lawnmower in and see if there is separation. UR missing something

ldbill39

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Ok, I have read all of the info that has been offered, except no one has asked you if you checked the inertia switch. I have seen a inertia switch cause a no start problem with a weak spark. The switch is on the passenger side just under the heater core. Unplug it and jump the two wires, make sure you have a real good connection, make up a jumper wire with two 1/16th inch wide spade connectors. It sounds odd, but I have seen that problem before on a Thunderchicken. Good luck! Lee

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I know it's been quite awhile since the last posting on this..... But for my own education, I was really wondering what you finally did? What ended up being the problem? How did you fix it?