•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

8H rebuild

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Rebuilt the M5OD in the Bronco Saturday. Took me under 8H from rolling it into the shop to driving it out. Remember this is Just me doing the work. I had no help.

replaced the bearings and syncros.

Would have taken me less time but I also rebuilt the cardian on the rear driveshaft.

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Good for you! Want a gold star? :icon_twisted: HaHa!

That's pretty good, but I have you beat. Two weekends ago I pulled my M5OD, went back to the junkyard and traded for a new one, put it back in. All in ~3 hours.

(I'm not one to rebuild tranny's, I haven't the tools to do so.)

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0

That's pretty good, but I have you beat. Two weekends ago I pulled my M5OD, went back to the junkyard and traded for a new one, put it back in. All in ~3 hours.

i didnt think there was any special tools required to rebuild a tranny:icon_confused: i have to take a 2.3 m5od and 4.0 m5od swap the 4.0 guts and tail shaft to the 2.3 case so i can finish my truggy....

i rebuilt a t5 outta a 80 stang, i made it into a world class t5 and it took me 4.5 hours :D it shifted great and i sold it to a guy for 1K:icon_hornsup:

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L

My Junk yard is 45 min one way. And it's in about 2 feet of snow. No way i could swap one out in 3 H. But if I had the trans ready to go it wouldn't have taken me near as long to do. Rebuilding is cake. There is only one special tool you need but then you really don't need it if you have a cresent wrench big enough. I took my time and made sure everything was good, inspecting nearly all the parts.

The driveshaft was what gave me the most grief. Both taking it off and rebuilding the cardian.

Good thing I have a suspension lift as I needed no jack stands, and thanks I have a 1.25" bodylift as it made getting the top bellhousing bolts a breeze.

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Hell it took me 6 hours to get mine out the 1st time. That was just a clutch change. I'll be faster next time.

PlumCrazy

Solid Axle Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
i didnt think there was any special tools required to rebuild a tranny:icon_confused: i have to take a 2.3 m5od and 4.0 m5od swap the 4.0 guts and tail shaft to the 2.3 case so i can finish my truggy....

i rebuilt a t5 outta a 80 stang, i made it into a world class t5 and it took me 4.5 hours :D it shifted great and i sold it to a guy for 1K:icon_hornsup:
Dont put the 4.0 guts in the 2.3 case, just swap tail shafts and housings. Unless you want to gear UP. the 2.3 gears are lower in 1,2,and 3.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L

Sasquatch_Ryda

Coast Mountain Crawlers
Supporting Member
Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2002/2008
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/4.0L/6.4L
Hero Cookie!

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
The bell housing is different between the 2.3 and the 4.0/2.9 aren't they?

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Dont put the 4.0 guts in the 2.3 case, just swap tail shafts and housings. Unless you want to gear UP. the 2.3 gears are lower in 1,2,and 3.
so i just put the 4.0 tail shaft on the 2.3 trans?:icon_confused:

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
that was my understanding. i have a 2.3 in my truggy and its a 2wd. i need 4wd so i yanked a exploder 5speed and was told to swap the guts and tail shaft so i can have 4wd

PlumCrazy

Solid Axle Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Yes the bell housings are different.

He wants a 4x4 2.3 trans, so he just needs to swap the tail shaft and tail shaft housing from the 4.0 onto the 2.3 trans.

PlumCrazy

Solid Axle Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
CopyKat, Do you remember what size the nut is on the output shaft? I borrowed huge crows foot from my uncle last time, but I like your design. I think I may steal your idea for my next hybrid swap.
I would measure the extra one I have laying at home, but I am 2hrs away and I may be able to talk my professor into making one for me on a CNC Laser he has where he works.

IlovemybroncII

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Chev
For
Engine Size
350/2.9/2.9
copykat a smart thing would be go to jy and buy one this summer rebuild it and have it as spare then when you need rebuild again pop it out slam the spare in the in with siting by wood stove rebuild the it again recycle it

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Yes the bell housings are different.

He wants a 4x4 2.3 trans, so he just needs to swap the tail shaft and tail shaft housing from the 4.0 onto the 2.3 trans.
This is all you need to do.:icon_thumby:
sweet thank you both:icon_thumby:

CopyKat, Do you remember what size the nut is on the output shaft? I borrowed huge crows foot from my uncle last time, but I like your design. I think I may steal your idea for my next hybrid swap.
I would measure the extra one I have laying at home, but I am 2hrs away and I may be able to talk my professor into making one for me on a CNC Laser he has where he works.
i could have someone make one for me too if he posts the size of the nut. thats a really good idea to make that tool:beer:

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
CopyKat, Do you remember what size the nut is on the output shaft?
It's big! :dunno:

copykat a smart thing would be go to jy and buy one this summer rebuild it and have it as spare then when you need rebuild again pop it out slam the spare in the in with siting by wood stove rebuild the it again recycle it
No need right now. I have 3 in my shed. Just the $300 for the rebuild kit is costly.