•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

A4ld: what's hot and what's too hot?

Phantom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have an 88 bronco ll with an a4ld auto, was wandering what temp is considered normal running condition, when is it hot, and then melt down temp... Thanks in advance for the help... Tried searching for specific temps but came up blank...

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I am not sure about the A4LD specifically, but the 4R44/55 and 5R55 trannies that are the next generation of the A4LD's family are considered to be "at operating temp" around 90 degrees.

Obviously with a fluid cooler in the radiator you can't expect it to run much less than about 170 though. I would think about 200 is the trouble zone.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
So what your saying is ideally, you should put a cooler in thats not connected to the rad, so it can run cooler than 170ish?

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
I am not sure about the A4LD specifically, but the 4R44/55 and 5R55 trannies that are the next generation of the A4LD's family are considered to be "at operating temp" around 90 degrees.

Obviously with a fluid cooler in the radiator you can't expect it to run much less than about 170 though. I would think about 200 is the trouble zone.
I would have to agree with this as well.

Chris_North

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thirded(ed?). In my experience it's rare that I ever pass 190 on a 4r44E except when hauling uphill or at a certain relative's home atop 3 steep hills, and even then I think it is more to do with coming to a stop in the driveway and thus slowing airflow through the rad. It's less to do with temp and more to do with time at that temp. From what I understand, staying at temps above 190 for more than a few minutes is bad, and at temps more than 210 for more than a few seconds is really bad.