•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Advice requested...

BroncoDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
A while back I bought an 88 BII with a bad 2.9 and a wrecked Exploder with a good 4.0... I have finally started working on it... now I've ran across an 85 FSB that I'm strongly considering... Body is in good shape... it's 4x4 with manual locking hubs... has an EFI 302... The interior is rough but i'm not super concerned about that seeing as this truck is going to see the beach quite a bit...

I really like the smaller BIIs but I've seen a couple FSBs running around town the the top off and it sure did look nice... Is the bigger truck and lower gas mileage worth it? What do you guys think...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

BroncoDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I've honestly thought about that... and that would probably be the direction I would go with the BII... of course the FSB is already setup for it... you can even get premade soft tops for them commercially...

More info about me... I drove a V6 2WD F150 for about 6 years... then switched to mustangs and haven't really had a truck since (about 5 years)... picked up my first BII about a year ago and drove that sucker every day even with a very pitiful 2.9L and shot A4LD... I sold it to a friend who desperately needed a vehicle... and have been dying for my 4x4 ever since...

Last edited:

Andres629

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Yeah, but then when someone asks you where you got the soft top for a FSB, you say "blah blah store blah" but then... the BII, you say "I made it!"

BroncoDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
My biggest concern for the BII is that ultimately it won't be able to do what I need it to... I'm hoping to move in March and think it will handle a small trailer just fine with the 4.0l but eventually I'm wanting to buy a small boat...

I just got my body lift and mounts in too... ;-)

Sorry if my thoughts seem scattered... Just going over all this in my head and typing it out as I come up with it...

Last edited:

Andres629

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Hey, no worries, that's how projects start!

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
chop it!!!

my b2 with a chopped top, and 30x9.5's handled a 18ft flatbed and two quads. and that was with a 2.9 and a tk5.

tho i wouldn't dare try it now with the m50d and 33's. still on 3.73's and 2.9.

4.0, no problem!

go unique man!!!!

BroncoDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
well i wouldn't be towing anything more than a 14' trailer with furniture and then eventually an aluminum fishing boat 18' max... it has 31's on it now and whatever the stock gearing is... 3.73 i'm guessing... my weak point is of course the a4ld but don't really want to give up the auto...

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
My biggest concern for the BII is that ultimately it won't be able to do what I need it to... I'm hoping to move in March and think it will handle a small trailer just fine with the 4.0l but eventually I'm wanting to buy a small boat...
I've haul a 16' trailer w a tractor on it, and a 16' stock trailer w my BII. Hauling a trailer ain't no thing.

Andres629

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
I actually pulled another Ranger home on a car trailer with my Ranger 2.9 and it pulled it like a champ, even uphill. Was a little sagged out on the back, but not hitting the bumpstops! lol

BroncoDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Well I went and looked at that FSB... it was all rusted out so that made my decision easy... BII with a 4.0 or bust!!!

That's good to hear though... that was my biggest concern with the BII...

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
congrats!!! and welcome home!!!

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
I've towed a 12' enclosed trailer with about 2000lbs of stuff in it with my BII (2.9L) and although it ain't no speed demon up hills, it does decent (a 4.0L will certainly be able to move it much easier).

The biggest thing is if you plan on towing anything large with a BII, get a weight-distributing hitch for it (and possibly a sway control bar too), otherwise the BII's short wheelbase (combined with it's light weight) increases the chances of the trailer tossing your truck into the ditch if a wind gust comes by.

TheOne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
also i would strongly recommend the m5od behind the 4L...ur a4ld will not cut it AT ALL...

these auto trannies have a hard time with the 2.9L never mind a 4L lol

BroncoDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
yea... i'm going to see how long i can make the a4ld last... I've been chatting with a guy on another site that did the same setup as I am doing and he claims not to have issues... of course I won't be surprised when my a4ld dumps its fluid at the sight of my boat... :3gears:

I've actually been eye-balling another explorer that is 5sp 4x4... i might pick it up if it's still around as a back up...

TheOne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
if u can get that 5 speed explorer then u can pull the engine and tranny as a unit...plus it has all the computer crap and wiring that u will need anyways for the 4l swap.

make life REALLY simple