•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Auto to manual swap

davidbmd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1985
Vehicle
bronco II
Have a 1985 BII, 4x4, manual trans

Want to swap into my 1986 BII

Can I use the complete driveline from the 85?

Same drive shafts, any odd ball things I need to do, wiring, u joints, couplings, pedal issues, switches, computers?

Thanks

I am giving away the 85, has nice back seat, red plaid, windows, bumpers, brakes, only thing missing is pedal assembly, trans, drive shafts, engine is NO good.

dab

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L

Oooo...don't even get me started.

Original Poster, we welcome you into the forum, but you must search for this information before posting. Please check the Tech Library in the forum and make a VERY thorough use of the search bar in the top right of the page.

I know I'M perfectly civil to new guys asking questions, but others may not be so kind :icon_rofl:

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
:play innocent: What? I don't know what you mean?

davidbmd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1985
Vehicle
bronco II
Thanks everyone, I did the searching and found everything I need

EXCEPT: Do I have to completely remove the pedal assembly from my Auto 1986, or can I swap the shaft only, from my 85 donor?

Thats all, everything else I found by SEARCHING, thanks for the gentle suggestion.

davidbmd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1985
Vehicle
bronco II
OH, by the way, if anyone wants a 1985 BII, it has cherry chrome bumpers, all the glass is good, has windwings, motor no good, mint back seat, missing pedal assembly most of dash, front carpet, but has tons of parts on it. I have 2 Bii's and cant use a 3rd.

FREE for the asking. Im in San Jose California. Dont have a title, hasnt been registered since 1999, was used on a ranch in the central valley to haul hay to the cattle till the motor gave out.

snoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
All 10 are Ford
Engine Size
4.0,5.0,4BT,4.0
If you pull the E-brake pedal out of the way, you can remove the clip, slide the shaft out and replace the pedals. No need to pull everything apart.

TEK4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
When iba didnt mine i just got the floor platewhere the shifter comes through the linkage to mount the t-case shifter the tranny the peddal rod and the clutch peddle. i didnt mess with the computer i justo had to wireing the reverse lights switch to the existing reverse sensor wires. U only use two outters of the three not sure once the colors right off hand. And took the kick down cable out. Its not hard you should be fine. The only issue i had was the drive shafts because iba used the fm145 which is 3 inches shorter then the A5od but iba believe thats the only tranny that is shorter.

TEK4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i meant wires not outters. Sorry auto correct once my phone blows.

TEK4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
And i instead of iba...

davidbmd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1985
Vehicle
bronco II
Thanks everyone, you guys are great. I have all the info I need and will do the swap this weekend, will post some pics when it is done.

If no one bites on the free 85Bii i have, think I will swap out the windwings into my 86 as it does not have windwings and I think they are nice to have.

My 86 has a big smittybuilt bumper and I will take that off and put the chrome bumper on it from the 85.

Will wait a while to see if anyone wants it.

Thanks again

davidbmd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1985
Vehicle
bronco II
Do you want pics of the Smitty bumper or the chrome bumpers on the 85?

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If you pull the E-brake pedal out of the way, you can remove the clip, slide the shaft out and replace the pedals. No need to pull everything apart.
I didn't even have to move the pedal (but then, I always have the brake set anyway). The 83 to 87 pedals come out easy. The 88+ are a bastard.

And I'll be a nut that he wants pics of the Smitty. We have all seen the stock chrome bumpers for a gen 1.

davidbmd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1985
Vehicle
bronco II
ok, I will take pics of the 85 and the Smitty bumper and post them on the week end, as dont have time to do it during the week.

davidbmd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1985
Vehicle
bronco II
THANKS, THANKS for everyone that chimed in on my auto to manual swap, did it this week end and it was fun.

Moving the e brake out of the way saved me tons of time rather than taking the whole thing out, actually took only 20 minutes in total.

Thanks again.

David