•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Axle repair help

kb1kvd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6 MPFI
Hello my name is Jason and I have a 1990 Bronco II with a dana 35 ttb. Back in August I got into a accident where I lost my brakes. In the process I believe I might have bent the right side of my front axle. I had the frame check out by a friend who has a frame rack and everything is straight.

The question is how easy is the repair and would it be easier to just replace the whole axle?

Tnx and 73's
Jason, Kb1kvd

Here are some of the pics of the damage.

http://s993.photobucket.com/albums/af58/kb1kvd/?action=view&current=DSC00499.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Your best bet would be to replace the whole passenger side beam/axle. It's not that difficult and you can probably find one cheap in a salvage yard. I would check the radius arm closely as well. That looks like it was a hard hit. Take a close look at the bracket that mounts the beam under the engine crossmember. As far as that looks like it's pushed back, there's a chance you've bent that as well.

kb1kvd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6 MPFI
That's what i figured, because I had lost my brakes on a highway in traffic and I managed to try and steer away, only to damage the axle.

Tnx

Jason kb1kvd

scotts90ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
being pushed that far back, I would just look at the radius arm mount/crossmember as that's the only thing that holds the front/back position of the axle

kb1kvd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6 MPFI
I purchased a new set of radius arm brackets a couple of weeks ago, I am going to purchase a new set of radius arms and a right side axle arm. Originally I was just going to buy a replacement front axle,but from reading here it seems like its more easy than I had imagined.

scotts90ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
yeah, not that hard really, radius arm bolt, pivot bolt, sway bar, shock, brake line (or caliper, whatever) and tie rod end is all that holds the axle on, once you get that far the axle shaft should pull apart at the center slip yoke or take the hub off and the C clip on it and it will just slide out of there...

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Yeah, it's pretty simple under there.

Most probable:

Bent radius arm
Bent radius arm crossmember
Bent axle beam.

Unless the hit was from the side at all, I think its fairly unlikely that the beam pivot bracket is bent.

Hope that helps

kb1kvd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6 MPFI
That's great to hear. Thank you very much.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
yeah, not that hard really, radius arm bolt, pivot bolt, sway bar, shock, brake line (or caliper, whatever) and tie rod end is all that holds the axle on, once you get that far the axle shaft should pull apart at the center slip yoke or take the hub off and the C clip on it and it will just slide out of there...
Do the C-clip eliminator mod while you're at it, I did the one using a 1" diameter spring inside my D28 axle and it works great. Maintenance and swapping shafts will be much easier later on down the road too. Good luck on your repair, it's not that difficult.