•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

babyblue 89 b2 build

natmanjoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
so finally decided to start a build thread so i can get help when i run into snags along the way. fyi, this is my first major mechanical endeavor, so any and all advice, help, hey you should have done that first before you attached the blank, sorry you have to tear all that apart again and do it this way, type of info will be much appreciated.

first things first, my current bronco 2:

DSC03214.JPGDSC03215.JPGDSC03216.JPG

89 bronco 2 xlt
2.9l
a4ld
3.73 d28 8.8
31'' m/t
3'' james duff stage 1 lift

the donor

DSC03212.JPGDSC03213.JPG

what i want to end up with:
4.0l
m5od (will start with the a4ld until it dies or i find a good deal)
33''
lockers (havent decided on welding the rear yet or not)
another 2'' of lift (or just a body lift, i want to keep her low to the ground)
paint (not urgent)
bumpers and sliders
winch

info about me and the b2: my grandfather bought the b2 brand new from my other grandfather who owned a dealership. been in the family ever since. was his fishing truck for years and i always remembered driving the mountains to his favorite fishing holes to have a good time. then sleeping in the back on the way home.
after he died, b2 was passed to my family and we all used it in high school as our first car. after we all left home, my parents had it in the garage for 5 yrs sitting, never drove. when they finally decided they wanted to sell it, i told them i would take it. $500 delivery fee for shipping and it ended up in my garage. fluids were shot, brakes rusted to hell, and rear axle was shot. did some preventative maintenance things to it, changed fluids, replaced spark plugs, etc. and changed out the battery, and viola! started right up! couldnt believe it! of course, driving it sucked cause it vibrated like hell due to a shot rear ring in the rear axle. instead of wasting the money reparing it, i decided to swap in a 8.8 from an explorer. now that it was working, decided to have some fun and installed a 3in lift and 31'' tires. now the trannies shot and slipping like a mofo. once again, didnt want to waste the money on a rebuild or just swapping for another weaker a4ld, so went out and bought an explorer with some 'minor' cosmetic work. and now, here i am, about to start a major mechanical endeavor with little experience! should be loads of cursing and banging on things, but the end result will be looking back on it and saying, 'totally worth it!'

more to come...

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
It looks good! Cool story too...its really cool to see you giving it a second life.

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
You will love the 4.0/m5od combo