•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Bad Spark Plug (See Picture) Cause ?

joenorthcarolina

Reaction score
Vehicle
Ford
I just bought a 90 B2 XLT.
This is my #4 spark plug. The rest of the plugs are fine. It still has a miss-fire after all new cap/rotor,wires, and motorcraft plugs. The exhaust is not smoking, yet. I'm thinking I have a bad injector dumping too much fuel.
What do you all think ?

sblake01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
That looks more like oil fouling to me. How's the comperession in that cylinder?

joenorthcarolina

Reaction score
Vehicle
Ford
I haven't check the compression. However, I just pulled the plug out after a half mile ride.
The plug looks very clean and simi wet. I also pulled the plug next to it and it looked like its been firing perfect.
Therefore, I poured a bottle of Lucas and Seafoam in the tank (super clean hopefully). I'm going to drive it tonight and keep a check on the oil to see if the level raises any.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
With the plug looking like that the cylinder is probably washed since the fuel has obviously not been burning. The plug is wet because liquid fuel is hitting it and not being burnt since there is no fire in the cylinder. I doubt it has anything to do with a bad injector.

Change the oil and drive the piss out of it for a week and see if it gets any better.

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Run some seafoam through it and then do a compression test. What kind of plugs are those maybe it is just a fouled plug you can bet the valves on that cyl look the same. I use autolite single platinum with no problems but the motorcraft plugs are recommended. If you dont know how old the plug wires are get new ones and change the PCV regularly with plugs. If your curious do the compression test before and after the seafoam be sure a write down the numbers and test each cylinder three times to confirm the reading.

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Looks like tons of oil to me. Let us know how this week goes with it!

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
A hotter plug may help burn deposits off in the future.

Richard