•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Brake Rotor

martin45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Well I think I bought something wrong just received two blank rotors for my 89 bll on the front and back side the inner races are there but not the rest of the bearings can I use them and what else or what size bearings do I need to get.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The existing bearings can be reused, if they are not damaged or worn. You just need to replace the grease seal on the back. The old bearings need to be cleaned out and re-greased.

I don't think the rotor ever came with the bearings already in it.

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
I strongly disagree with using a new race with an old (or different brand) bearing.
Bearings & races wear into, or are 'mated' with each other after a bit. If you change one, the other should be changed as well.

If the bearings are still in good shape w/fairly low miles, I'd put the races from the old rotors into the new ones (who knows what the origin of those races are anyway... China?).
Or better yet, just get yourself four Timken pt# SET-45 bearing & race sets and call it a day (#SET-37 if you have a D35 axle).

A hammer & punch can be used to remove & replace the races if you do it carefully.

jrpdash9

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
I agree, I have thrown just bearing in to get the vehicle home but then I change the race out wen I get home