•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Bronco II Body Lift Question..

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have a 2.9 and an A4LD Trannie... I know if i do a body lift like 3" it will KILL the transmission and i have to do some modifications, i believe like for the radiator and steering... What is the MINIMUM lift i can put on my little bronco II that WONT kill the transmission and WITHOUT any modifications??

Thanks Guys!
Chaz.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Why would it kill the transmission?

I have had a 3" BL on my Ranger for 2 years with mud tires and have yet to hurt my A4LD.

You have to trim the bottom of the radiator shroud and insert a supplied steering shaft extension, that is it. If you have a manual shift T-Case extending the lever really helps too. If you have a manual transmission some like to extend that as well, whereas some like shorter, but that has nothing to do with the transmission's lifespan.

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
We had a guy that had a 3" lift on his bronco II and he went through 3 transmissions. and a couple of years ago i brought it up about lifting MY bronco II on here and alot of people were telling me not to, cause it will hurt the A4LD. thats why i was wondering about maybe a 1" lift. something small.

thanks
chaz.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
The A4LD is not a particularly strong piece of equipment, but if you take care of it and don't beat on it will do fine. It is WOT with oversize boggers and stock gearing that will kill them, not just the body lift.

I blew my first A4LD 4 years before I had a body lift, and haven't had a problem since.

mhughes165

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
yes, a body lift will have no effect on the trans....what u may do after u get a body lift on is what will effect it, if u dont drive any differently and get ur rears regeared for the size tire u are running u will have no issues.....assuming u do proper maintence on it

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Agreed, there shouldn't be any direct connection between your transmission and a bodylift with the one possible exception being related to the reduced cooling efficiency created by butchering up your fan shroud.

Instead of cutting it all up, just lower it down using two strips of sheetmetal. This way you'll better preserve the airflow through your radiator.

igiveup

Reaction score
Agreed, there shouldn't be any direct connection between your transmission and a bodylift with the one possible exception being related to the reduced cooling efficiency created by butchering up your fan shroud.

Instead of cutting it all up, just lower it down using two strips of sheetmetal. This way you'll better preserve the airflow through your radiator.
Go with an Electric Fan. Problem solved. And a few more ponys.

igiveup