•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Bronco II Cruise Control

zzouriparts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
My son has a 1989 Bronco II (in very nice condition I might add) and the cruise is inop. Don't know alot about cruise, however we have checked the obvious, conections, fuses, hoses and so on. All components are present and accounted for and all connected as they should be (for what I know). The only questionable connection is the plug to the brake reservoir. When I pulled on that plug it more or less came apart, the wires came out of the plastic connector. So, we don't know if it had been like that before and some one did not reinstall the wires correctly, nor do I know if I reinstalled the wires correctly. The three wires are one black, one purple/white and one purple/yellow. Does anyone have a picture they could post of that connection showing the correct wire positioning. Once we isolate this (and if it doesn't fix the problem), then we can move on to something else. Thank you for any help, it is appreciated! :icon_confused:

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The plug right at the bottom of the plastic reservoir? That plug is for the brake fluid level sensor and shouldn't figure into cruise operation.

The issue is probably in the buttons or one of the solid state electronic units.

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
If it's a stickshift, check that the clutch pedal sensor switch (around base of the rod linkage) is secured properly (mine had this issue, the catch tab for it was broken off allowing it to float back & forth on the rod).

zzouriparts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks guys for the imput! It is an automatic and I didn't realize the plug was for the brake fluid level. We bought cruise switches on eBay and needless to say the switches were correct but the plug into the steering wheel was different. I'll take a look again and see if I can make it work, if not we'll try to find an electronics unit. Thank you again for the imput!