•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Buy a driveshaft, or buy another Bronco II?

Pif

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I'm sure most of you folks have had this quandary before. I blew up my rear driveshaft, but the splines on the shaft are ok. Can't really find instructions on rebuilding it, so I'm looking to replace it.

On my drive home I noticed another BII that hadn't been moved in ages. I approached the owner and he wants to sell it, but is asking a bit much. It's very rusty, the door handles are broken, and I'm sure it has many other issues. But it has an electric transfer case, and the CV style driveshaft.

Do I buy it and gut it, hoping to resell some parts, or do I just buy a damn driveshaft?!

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Just buy a rear drive shaft, or make something to replace it. They aren't hard to rebuild, just a stupid design for something that takes up that much load.

Frankly, if I were to put the money into replacing a rear shaft on a BII, I would take the old one to a machine or driveline shop and get a U-joint unit made.

Pif

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Just buy a rear drive shaft, or make something to replace it. They aren't hard to rebuild, just a stupid design for something that takes up that much load.

Frankly, if I were to put the money into replacing a rear shaft on a BII, I would take the old one to a machine or driveline shop and get a U-joint unit made.

There's only one shop to serve half the province. And they quoted me at $250 for the u-joints. Not including the shaft, labor etc. Bronco graveyard has new ones for $200, but I think I could get the truck for $350.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
You didn't say you were in Canada. That changes things.

Pif

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
You didn't say you were in Canada. That changes things.
My bad. I'm also in one of the saltiest provinces, Nova Scotia.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Vehicle
fords and only
Call around to see if you can find a one piece. You can check here in maime and I will drop it off to you this summer when the ferry is open from portland to yarmouth :)

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
order a u-joint replacement style shaft for it...

Pif

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Call around to see if you can find a one piece. You can check here in maime and I will drop it off to you this summer when the ferry is open from portland to yarmouth :)
I appreciate the offer, but I need to get her on the road by the end of the month. Looks like I can't find one east of Montreal, I'll just have to buy a new one.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 2001
Vehicle
1989=Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Look into companies like "Fleet Pride". Back in the day this company had pre-made Bronco II drive shafts available for purchase.

Also a company called "Denny's DriveShaft" from Rochester, NY does decent custom drive shafts that are built very tough. He custom makes everything and is reasonable (last time I checked) with the costs. Not sure how it would work with the import 'fees' and what not?

S-

kaytor692

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford bronco ll
i put a bronco graveyard one in my 86 when it broke there not bad but the u-joints didnt last long i like it was $200 ish

Pif

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
i put a bronco graveyard one in my 86 when it broke there not bad but the u-joints didnt last long i like it was $200 ish
Good to know. I just found out it has an FM146 transmission in it, and I have a spare 146 on the side. Not sure which driveshaft I need now...

Also with my power steering box leaking badly at the bottom, and correct seal from Bronco Graveyard, that other bronco 2 is looking better and better.

shadow88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
I've changed that seal before on the stearing box, it's very easy and they sell the seal at napa, at least they did 3 years ago

Pif

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I've changed that seal before on the stearing box, it's very easy and they sell the seal at napa, at least they did 3 years ago
Huh, Napa said I had to buy the whole seal kit, at $80. Checking out my options now.

As for the driveshaft, I found Outer Joint TRW Part # 22669W, is this the socket/flange for the rear of the shaft?