•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

BW 1350 Electric T Case

xAKPxplaymate08

Reaction score
I have an 87 Bronco 2 EFI 2.9. I have the mazda 5 speed and the BW1350 E T case and I dont have 4WD operation. I put on manual hubs to eliminate that problem, but still the front driveshaft wont spin. The motor works, so I took that off and put a 3/8 open end on it and tried to put it by hand, and it wont go, it feels like you have to force it, and then when you try to push it in and it jumps past into no mans land, but then it will go into 4LO with ease, but then the front driveshaft wont spin at all.... Any ideas??? /:

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Unless it was swapped in at some point, you should have a Mitsubishi FM145 transmission in that.

As for your t-case, if the little triangle-shaped shaft under the shifter motor is actually pointing at 4-LO but the front driveshaft is not engaged, then you have some internal issue with your t-case (same thing for 4-HI, however you would have to hold the shaft there, there's no detent for 4-HI).

xAKPxplaymate08

Reaction score
How do I know what transmission is in it then? And could I do a manual swap? And if so is the floor pre drilled?

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Factory your truck would have had an FM145. The shifter for that trans is crooked. The FM146 and M5OD shifters are straight.

Yes, the T-case can be swapped to a manual, no the floor isn't pre-cut. It's not hard to do though. You just have to make sure that your shift assemblies complete to the arm that is attached to the trasnfer case are a matched set.

If you are close to northeast PA I have a good electric case in my garage that is set up for 87. The threads for the bolts that hold the case to the trans chaned in 88. 87 and back had an SAE thread, in 88 they changed to metric.

xAKPxplaymate08

Reaction score
So it is the fm145. Haha. And how hard or where would I drill the hole for the manual, and no im in Oregon. Haha

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The bolt hole to attach the shifter setup to the trans is already there. Just pull the shifter boot off the floor and take a dremel and a pack of cutting wheels to the floor. Take the hole over about 6 inches.