•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Dana 35 take the stress/weight of a 302?

roughranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
ok i have a 85 bronco II that i have a 302 in but i keep breaking u joints in the front end and tearing up hubs also. i rough truck thsi bronco so it has alot of weight coming down on the nose. my question is will a dana 35 take the torque of the 302 and take the weight of it when i land hard? thanks:headbang:

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Nope, my D35 can't stant behind my 4.0L. Blown jounts, snapped shafts, exploded hubs, cracked axle beam. I think the D35 is a nice axle for a commuter/ DD truck, that as far as I'd put it, others may argue...

I think that in your situation a well built D44 or a D60 is in order.

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Yours is welded, that's a BIG reason why yours wont hold up, the shafts never get a chance to unload except from the slipping tires.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Mines welded and his will see wheel spin and suddenly no wheel spin when he jumps it.
Either way, both are way to much force for the 35s shafts and joints.

Sunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well it is a bolt in a affair, and much cheaper than building a 44 or getting 60. If you take the time to set it up right, you'll be a lot better off than you are now with the D28.

roughranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ok thanks for all of your help! I will be looking for a 44 now to put in it! again thanks for your help

Sunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The Dana44 uses the same size joints as the D35, so the only thing you really gain (though some may disagree) is the fact that it is a straight axle. You could build it, but then you're looking at a price that is close to that of a stock 60, which is why it was mentioned.

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Ok thanks for all of your help! I will be looking for a 44 now to put in it! again thanks for your help
So your going to go with a solid 44 up front or a ttb 44?

A dana 35 is a bolt in swap for the dana 28 (may have to shorten front driveshaft) and will have the same u joints as a dana 44.

If you are not locked in the front, I'd say the D35 would hold up just fine.

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
I'd say go for the 35 depending on what kind of wheeling you do. If you're in the rocks at all, go solid axle.

The problem with axle upgrades is that nothing is ever good enough for everyone... the 28 is crap to a lot of people, the 35 is as strong as the 44, building a 44 costs as much as a 60, building a 60 costs as much as Rockwells...see what I'm getting at?

I have had really good luck with my 28, which is kind of surprising. The only thing that's I've had problems with so far is the pinion seal and I wheel it pretty hard. I guess I did bend a drop bracket too. Which is one reason I am doing the D44 EB swap sometime. Just less shit to break.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Nope, my D35 can't stant behind my 4.0L. Blown jounts, snapped shafts, exploded hubs, cracked axle beam. I think the D35 is a nice axle for a commuter/ DD truck, that as far as I'd put it, others may argue...

I think that in your situation a well built D44 or a D60 is in order.

If you blew joints on your 35, you'll also blow them on the 44. The joints are exactly the same. As far as shafts, the inner shafts on a 35 are thicker than on a 44. The 44 necks down as it goes into the diff and frequently fails at this point. The 35 does not have this neck down.

As far as blowing up hubs, you can swap 44 outers onto a 35 beam fairly easily. Or, you can run Jeep hubs which are fairly strong.

If your beam cracked, you were either not running a pinch bolt, or you were doing something that put a rediculous amount of stress on the axle. The 35 beams are quite strong. If you cracked them there's a good chance you'll also have a failure with a 44 setup.

I run 35s under my rebuilt 4.0 with a locked D35. I've had the pedal to the rug many times on mud, rocks, and hill climbs, and have not broken anything in years.

Last edited:

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
If you blew joints on your 35, you'll also blow them on the 44. The joints are exactly the same. As far as shafts, the inner shafts on a 35 are thicker than on a 44. The 44 necks down as it goes into the diff and frequently fails at this point. The 35 does not have this neck down.
I'll be using aftermarket shafts, which aren't available for the 35, and tougher joints. I'll have better articulation up front as well as less parts to break. And not to mention I'll be lifted 9'' with no bump steer. A little money now is better than the costly repair to the TTB later. The money I've used to repair my TTB now, would have paid for my SAS already.

Cracking the beam was my fault, but I was doing the same thing he wants to do with his, runnin the hell out of it. A solid 44 w/ it's tubes welded in and maybe a small truss/ backbone, wouldn't be phased by that type of use.

So for the reasons of his question, I believe a built 44 or 60 SAS is in order.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
I'll be using aftermarket shafts, which aren't available for the 35, and tougher joints. I'll have better articulation up front as well as less parts to break. And not to mention I'll be lifted 9'' with no bump steer. A little money now is better than the costly repair to the TTB later. The money I've used to repair my TTB now, would have paid for my SAS already.

Cracking the beam was my fault, but I was doing the same thing he wants to do with his, runnin the hell out of it. A solid 44 w/ it's tubes welded in and maybe a small truss/ backbone, wouldn't be phased by that type of use.

So for the reasons of his question, I believe a built 44 or 60 SAS is in order.
Broncograveyard sells chromo outers for the 35. :icon_twisted:

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Mines welded and his will see wheel spin and suddenly no wheel spin when he jumps it.
Either way, both are way to much force for the 35s shafts and joints.
Yeah, that's what breaks shit. Sudden wheel stoppage will break even a Rockwell. :no2:

And all this about the availability of blingin' chromo shafts... they aint quite all what they're cracked up to be either.
I've seen the results from destructive testing and they're maybe a little over 15% stronger than stock, whereas stock D60 stuff is 40-50% (or more) stronger, yet costs the same when you compare the cost of a built-up D44 that's now maxed out and cannot be upgraded any further (Hell, you can get 10-15% more strength out of D35/D44 stock shafts just by running the Spicer 760X u-joints (about $30 ea.) with full-round retainer clips (or just welding the caps in).

The D35 and D44 are both a good 50-60% stronger than the spindly little D28.
If it's just the weight you're worried about, the D35 can take that no problem (go check out a prerunner Ranger forum, they sky their trucks many feet quite regularly with no complaints from the D35. Just don't keep the throttle pinned to redline while you're actually airborne, because the shockload created in the driveline when those spinning wheels come crashing back down to earth is what breaks shit).

Additionally, if you haven't broken the rear 7.5" in your BII, I doubt you'd have anything to worry about with the D35.

Last edited: