•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Dana gears??

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Whats the tallest gear set you have seen for our small stock Dana front rears?? I'm doing the V8 swap now and would like to lower the gear ratio numerically. I have plenty of 7.5 gears for the rear, but what can I get for the front??

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The only thing that I have found is 4:11 and 5:13 gears from Randy's Ring and Pinion. They are both out of stock.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I want a tall ratio. I have the stock 3.45s and that is too low for me. I would like a set of 3.08s or 2.73s :)

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
The tallest gear available for both the Dana 28 and 35 is 3.08. According to the tech library, the Dana 35 wasn't available with 3.08, but I'm about 85% sure it was. The next tallest is 3.27.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
with a 7.5 and d28 you should be able to find a 3.08... idk why you'd want to tho? enlighten me please? even with a v8 most people still want at least 3.45ish or lower (# higher)

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
. . cool, a 3.08 would suffice if I can find one. If anyone knows of one, pass it on. As for way?? Because I'm after fuel mileage and driveability. I don't go off road . . I build performance cars :) I'm wanting an AOD, just not going to pull that trigger now.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
but taller gears don't really = best gas mileage..
all motors have a RPM range they like to stay in.

like my chevy(i said a bad word!!!lol), i can't drive it around town in OD b/c it lags the motor down w/ a 350 paired to a 4l60E and 3.42's in the rear w/ 30 inch tires. it gets BETTER mileage in straight D that kicks the RPMS up

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Hey, you want to discuss engine theory, I'm in :) Seriously. However, who said every engine? I'm building my vehicle. I know my engine and how I built it and what I built it for right? However, here something to chew on. I built a 302 many years ago, pretty stout. It runs 12.8s in total street trim in a Mustang. I had about 50 miles on it and took it to Indy . Thats was a 1400 mile trip for me. Now we're talking a cammed up engine, heads ported etc etc. No economy engine here. However with my T5, I was turning under 2K at cruising speeds. In its sweet spot? Hell no, I shift it at 6200- 6500 and have taken it to 7000 just for fun :icon_bounceblue: But, I got 24 mpgs at 70 mph with as fresh of an engine as you can have; 50 miles on it. You slow the engine down, you are going to use less fuel in most cases. No to the point of this post, I built this engine for low rpm efficiency. Everything is matched for low Rs . . I want to slow it down as much as I can. But the 12.8 engine is just one to think about. Keep your mind open . . things happen.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I've been told that 3.08s only came in select 2wd 4.0s trucks, but I'm pretty sure that MountainMike has a 3.08 geared 4x4.

I don't know that 3.27s were ever available for the 7.5 or Dana 28, but if you have any inclination to upgrade a D-35 and 8.8, I have a set of 3.27 rings and pinions that I'll give you for price of shipping or trade for a 4.10 D-35 center chunk.

EDIT: Sorry, Mike's truck is 3.27 gears.

Last edited:

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Hey, you want to discuss engine theory, I'm in :) Seriously. However, who said every engine? I'm building my vehicle. I know my engine and how I built it and what I built it for right? However, here something to chew on. I built a 302 many years ago, pretty stout. It runs 12.8s in total street trim in a Mustang. I had about 50 miles on it and took it to Indy . Thats was a 1400 mile trip for me. Now we're talking a cammed up engine, heads ported etc etc. No economy engine here. However with my T5, I was turning under 2K at cruising speeds. In its sweet spot? Hell no, I shift it at 6200- 6500 and have taken it to 7000 just for fun :icon_bounceblue: But, I got 24 mpgs at 70 mph with as fresh of an engine as you can have; 50 miles on it. You slow the engine down, you are going to use less fuel in most cases. No to the point of this post, I built this engine for low rpm efficiency. Everything is matched for low Rs . . I want to slow it down as much as I can. But the 12.8 engine is just one to think about. Keep your mind open . . things happen.
Want a cookie? Lol. It's all good man. You never said anything about a built 302 before. And besides that-- if you know all this motor stuff why do you have to ask about gears?? Not trying to be a jerk, just a question. If you would have specifically Said it was a built 302 for low rpm's I wouldn't have stated anything like I did.

Another point is.. A simple google search would have came up with what the tallest gear you could get is.

For a link-- look in my build thread on the last page where I documented the Dana 30 gears.. See what they have in gears that you're looking for.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Want a cookie?
I love cookies.

Maybe he came to us because we are the freakin experts man. Although posting in Axles and Gears may have been better since that is far from a B2 specific question.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I didn't ask about gears other than what was available. I'm not an off road guy, I haven't done anything with these small Dana rears, don't know whats available. Isn't that what a forum is for?? Jesus!! Any adults on here??

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Calm down.. It's all good. No reason to start anything. I apologize for everything said.

I'll look at that website in a little while when I'm not posting on my phone and see what the tallest they carry is. Also there's another site I have in my favorites I'll check. Just don't know the name off the top of my head

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Wait didn't some mustangs come with 7.5's and 2.73's??

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Absolutely 7.5s had 2.73s, but as I said, its not the 7.5 that I am having a problem . . . Read my first post :

Whats the tallest gear set you have seen for our small stock Dana front rears?? I'm doing the V8 swap now and would like to lower the gear ratio numerically. I have plenty of 7.5 gears for the rear, but what can I get for the front??
I could find nothing for the small Dana when I searched, hense why I asked here. I agree I should have posted in axles and gears.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well, like I said. If you have any interest in putting a D-35 in the front, I have a 3.27 ring and pinion that you can have.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Broncograveyard.com has 3.08 STANDARD rotation gears for 98+ rangers but thats all I could find for that ratio

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Are you still gonna use the 4x4?

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Sure, not changing anything about the 4X4, but only for street use. Therefore, I can't see myself changing the housing if I don't have to . . however, if I have to do it, maybe something from a Jeep?? But seriously, I might go AOD before I change the front housing. The truck only has 58K on it.