•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Dots on the speedo

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
What are those small dots on the speedo dial for.Are those shift range points? They are on the inside of the MPH scale.There are 2 dots at 10 and 14mph,2 at 29 and 33 and 60 and 63 mph.

Last edited:

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
I honestly never noticed those till reading this. If it is shift points my a4ld is WAY off lol

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
I honestly never noticed those till reading this. If it is shift points my a4ld is WAY off lol
How's the 4.0 working for you,what year motor did you put in?

marcuspur

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
are you talkin about the the 2 that are just to the left and right of the needle if so there the screws to hold it on if that ant what your talkin about that im not sure

marcuspur

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
are you talkin about the the 2 that are just to the left and right of the needle if so there the screws to hold it on if that ant what your talkin about that im not sure

o i just seen what you where talkin about i have no idea what thay are:icon_confused:

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
o i just seen what you where talkin about i have no idea what thay are:icon_confused:
I guess it's one of lifes mysterie:icons

Last edited:

b2rich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
i have noticed those on my B2. I do notice that the shift of the a4ld do coincide with those markings.

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
i have noticed those on my B2. I do notice that the shift of the a4ld do coincide with those markings.
I thought that's what they were for, auto trans.I thought Ford was messing with me.I was going to get a lawyer and sue.:icon_rofl:

marcuspur

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I thought that's what they were for, auto trans.I thought Ford was messing with me.I was going to get a lawyer and sue.:icon_rofl:
lmfao ford does a lot of crap to mess with me :shok:

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
How's the 4.0 working for you,what year motor did you put in?
The 4.0 is awesome. I love it. I used a 92 explorer motor and everything. The wiring was a nightmare. But now I've heard use a ranger harness? Idk how true that is personally but... Lol. Love the power the gas milage the everything!

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
The 4.0 is awesome. I love it. I used a 92 explorer motor and everything. The wiring was a nightmare. But now I've heard use a ranger harness? Idk how true that is personally but... Lol. Love the power the gas milage the everything!
Thats good to hear,I think when the time comes to replace mine I am going to put in a 4.0

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Thats good to hear,I think when the time comes to replace mine I am going to put in a 4.0
just do your research first for sure. i used the motor, trans, t/case, and driveshafts. on the driveshaft you need to find a spare explorer driveshaft and use the front flange on the rear of the driveshaft you will be using. the 8.8 has a wider flange than the 7.5. you'll wanna do this just to get rid of the cv joint style driveshaft if you have it. on the front driveshaft i went from the splined of the b2 to the completely bolt in of the explorer b/c of the swapping of t/cases. i've done this swap and done a 302 swap for a friend and with all the work involved in the other, i think the 4.0 is more practical.. its cheaper and easier. and still plenty of power, don't get me wrong, i'd love to have a 302 :headbang:

and wow, TRS is getting like other off road forums i'm on a lot, always thread hijacking and getting off topic lol. my bad guys..

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
What are those small dots on the speedo dial for.Are those shift range points? They are on the inside of the MPH scale.There are 2 dots at 10 and 14mph,2 at 29 and 33 and 60 and 63 mph.
mine is in Overdrive LOOONNNGGG before 60 or 63

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Carbureted
I have them on my speedometer...they align almost perfectly with "conservative" driving with a 2.3 manual tranny...but I usually shift just a bit over them to optimize the gear ratio...and I've taken third up as high as 90 Km/hr (just taking it easy) without the revs going too high...and I think I can take it as high as 100, but I don't want to go there yet...

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I dunno. I've been wondering this for a while too. I figured they weren't shift points since I never shift anywhere near them and if I did I'd be in a gear that is way too high.

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
just do your research first for sure. i used the motor, trans, t/case, and driveshafts. on the driveshaft you need to find a spare explorer driveshaft and use the front flange on the rear of the driveshaft you will be using. the 8.8 has a wider flange than the 7.5. you'll wanna do this just to get rid of the cv joint style driveshaft if you have it. on the front driveshaft i went from the splined of the b2 to the completely bolt in of the explorer b/c of the swapping of t/cases. i've done this swap and done a 302 swap for a friend and with all the work involved in the other, i think the 4.0 is more practical.. its cheaper and easier. and still plenty of power, don't get me wrong, i'd love to have a 302 :headbang:

and wow, TRS is getting like other off road forums i'm on a lot, always thread hijacking and getting off topic lol. my bad guys..
Good info,I only have 120,500 miles on my B2 now and I am going to keep it. I think the 4.0 is a good choice.

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
I'm totally making this up here but maybe those dots are the stall points for the trans in each gear? They're spec'ed in the A4LD handbook in the tech library but I dont recall them. Like if it was on a lift and you did the stall test, what the speedo would would read if they werent on the road.