•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

finally chopped it

B2Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
yea man, if you dont mind take some more photos of how its mounted and in the cab part. i need to get some more ideas.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
does 0.120" wall equal out to about 1/8th"?
i know i deffinetly want to go with a 2" tube. Im online right now looking up material for a soft top so I can hopefully get everything going on it soon. so far everything that i've read says that either denim or vinyl are the best materials to use... any opinions on either?

im uploading some pics of my back hatch I cut down and put in place for now to see if I want to just use that and make it swing down or use a ranger tailgate. Im going to get some sheet metal and cover the inside of the tailgate so it will be all smooth looking if i decide to stick with it.
1/8 = .125, so it is .005 thinner... for all practicality it is one and the same.

I wouldn't think denim would be all that great for a top... It is cotton and far from waterproof or even water resistant.

sbsrlewis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
B2Guy can you tell me how the cut down hatch is secured? Maybe some pictures too? Thanks.

Steve

B2Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
right now the hatch is just latched on like normal which makes it loose on the bottom so im going to have to figure something out to keep it tight...

sbsrlewis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I wonder if you could use the tailgate hinges from a ranger? Would hold the bottom in place n u still have the BII latch up top?? How are you planning to close the opening at the top where u cut the hatch? Any ideals?

Also can you take some other pictures of the lift gate? Maybe with it off? If possible could you also take some pictures of the cab where you chopped it. Maybe some of the area right behind the seats (part of cab going up, front of the window area) and across top of cab? Different views?

Thanks.
Steve

B2Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I wonder if you could use the tailgate hinges from a ranger? Would hold the bottom in place n u still have the BII latch up top?? How are you planning to close the opening at the top where u cut the hatch? Any ideals?

Also can you take some other pictures of the lift gate? Maybe with it off? If possible could you also take some pictures of the cab where you chopped it. Maybe some of the area right behind the seats (part of cab going up, front of the window area) and across top of cab? Different views?

Thanks.
Steve
yea, ill see what i can do about getting some pictures. i wont be able to tonight and probably not tomorrow after work cause itll be dark by the time I get home but im finally off this weekend and ill get a few pics posted that you want. as for covering the top of the hatch im going to use sheetmetal to cap over the top and come down on the inside as one piece and probably just use self tapping screws. or maybe some kind of rivet.

sbsrlewis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
thanks. this weekend will be fine.

Steve

B2Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
sorry i forgot all about getting those pictures. ill get them tomorrow and post them.

TEK4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
hey sorry i have been really busy with work and school ill be finishing up the manual swap either tonight or tomorrow night and ill take those pics for you B2guy i am having the cage tied into the frame next week so its stronger.

B2Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
sounds good tek. cant wait to see them. i need to get this thing road ready. I dont want to drive it without a cage.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l FI, 2.9L FI, 2.8L
Good call, think you may have altered the structural integrity of the little Bronco.
LOL!

sbsrlewis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Ok I'm bring this post back. B2Guy were u ever able to take pictures of your hatch n close ups of the cab n rails where u cut them? I'm very interested in them because I am planning to chop mine soon.

Steve

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Hey Steve, check out Rico's build thread.He did a good job covering his bed rails

sbsrlewis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Country do u have a direct link to his build? I can't find his build thread. Sometimes me n my computer knowledge don't work very well together.

Steve

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Steve, what is your full plan? Are you going to do a cage, or anything like that, or close off the back of the cab? I'm toying with an idea to move the back hatch to just behind the seats, so it is still openable (is that a word?) but has an exposed bed as well.

sbsrlewis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
My plans are to chop it then add a full cage. Currently I just added a Ranger tailgate. I have it set up where I can I can remove it and put the hatch back on. Once I do chop it I might, just might, cut the hatch and then make the choice as to which set up I like best.

Other future plans are to make some half doors with the extra set I bought. Boatside it, cut another 1"-1.5" out of the fenders them beadlocks and 37"s! Oh and somewhere in there I will box the frame too. Before everyone jumps in and tries to pop my dream these are the plans I have today...by the time I can do these things I might have changed my mind and go another direction but this is what I think about right now. Thanks to this divorce this might be like my dream of winning the lotto. LOL. Until then I will just continue to amaze the jeepers when we hit the trail. Love listening to them talk about how shocked they are that "that little bronco" can do alot!

Steve

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Btw steve. Got some body panels for u to practice on and some nice Big ford steelies. Been workin on my F150 and have some extra parts