•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Finally did the 4.0 swap. What a beast!!!

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hey guys and gals, just wanted to say a big thank you for all the great info on this site!! After reading about this swap for a couple of years now and wanting to do it, all the money and pieces came together. I got the EVTM's for both vehicles as stated on hear and dove in. The dreaded wiring wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it could have been. After nearly 2 months of working on it, only that long due to time off and it being an hour away from my home it runs and drives like new. Who knew that this little thing could be such a monster. I was flat amazed at the torque and power of this 4.0 engine. After driving it I wonder why anyone in would want a 302 in a mostly street driven Bronco II. I actually lit the 235/75R15's all terains up without even really trying. Again thanks for all the good info, without it I would have been lost. The Ranger Station and 4 liter Bronco II's ROCK!!!!!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
i have yet to swap one of them into anything originally equipped with a lesser engine where the owner didnt say the same thing initially.

the inline 4.0 jeep, 4.3 gm and 4.0 fords are really great engines ime and imo for these trucks.

if only they didnt sound so shitty to my ear.....but the new v6 fords have a sound i think i can live with.

have fun with your job well done

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i love mine too :)

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks bobbywalter and Ruth. I kinda understand the sound thing you mentioned. I think it depends on the exhaust though. I used the factory y-pipe and exhaust system from the Ex back to just short of where the muffler mounted. I then put a used cherry bomb on it, for lack of a better muffler, and just put a turn down on it behind that. Figured it would sound crappy but needed something untill I got the cash for something else. To my surprise it sounds really decent. I tend to like the Flowmaster type sound with a deep rumble instead of that cackling noise some people like. This setup provides that believe it or not. I will still do something better when cash allows though.

By the way Ruth, I love your signature, I will use that as a bumper sticker on my 89 when I get it built and chopped if you don't mind.

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
By the way, bobbywalter you mentioned the new Ford v-6's. I am assuming that you are talking about the 4.2 like in the 97 and newer F-150's. Has anybody ever gave a thought to swapping one of these in an RBV. I was talking to a guy today about his F-150 when this thought crossed my mind. i drove one one time and was amazed at the power it had. Don't know much about them though as far as reliability and issues.

Xandor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88, 89, 89
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 2.9 2.3
Congrats. I'd love to put my 4.0 in mine.

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Xandor, just do it man you won't be disappointed trust me. By the way, have you found a body for yours yet? I haven't been following your rebuild.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
By the way, bobbywalter you mentioned the new Ford v-6's. I am assuming that you are talking about the 4.2 like in the 97 and newer F-150's. Has anybody ever gave a thought to swapping one of these in an RBV. I was talking to a guy today about his F-150 when this thought crossed my mind. i drove one one time and was amazed at the power it had. Don't know much about them though as far as reliability and issues.
i am talking the 3.7 and the ecoBEAST.....guuud gawd they are unreal.

i got to beat the shit out of a 3.7 about 10 hours ago. pretty impressed. makes a stock truck 5.0 look retarded.

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Wow I have not been paying attention to engine sizes lately I guess. What the world are they puttin them in? I might have to do some checking. Reason I'm asking is my 89 Bronco II nicknamed "step child" is getting ready to be built from a pile of parts and I am thinking that, even though I love the 4.0, I want to do something a little different with it. but then again, might do the 4.0 in it too. Haven't decided yet.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
Wow I have not been paying attention to engine sizes lately I guess. What the world are they puttin them in? I might have to do some checking. Reason I'm asking is my 89 Bronco II nicknamed "step child" is getting ready to be built from a pile of parts and I am thinking that, even though I love the 4.0, I want to do something a little different with it. but then again, might do the 4.0 in it too. Haven't decided yet.

the 3.7 basically is the 300 hp mustang engine with some tweaks.

it even looks friggen huge in this 150...its a platform truck and kind of boogered up but to me its going to be the best swap going before long.

met up with the guys "data testing" it and it had 3 men and two deer in it when i was checking it out and still a pretty bad ass rig for what will be bottom of the line for the trucks. go drive one when they get to your local lot

kolton

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
thanks for posting that, i havent heard anything but good news about them! cant wait to get mine in!

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
The 4.0 swap rocks, this engine should of been in the truck from the get go. Mine took a couple months foe various reasons. There were times where I was ready to pull my hair out, but I freakin love it. I would do this swap again and recommend it to anyone.

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
go for it :icon_thumby:

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
I agree, with the ease of the 4.0 I'll never consider a 302 swap for my b2. The 4.0 was cheaper, easier, faster, and better gas milage... Hmmm sure it's not the power of the 302 but dang that 4.0 will mess with some imports lol

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Oooh you guys are making me jealous and motivated! I have the 4.0 in and wired up but have only moved it once around the block. I haven't yet had it fully on the road. Ya'll know how it goes... Motor runs freaking great! But the power steering oil all over the floor the next day was bummer..... Got a new one and now need to get my rear in gear to button this truck up and go play in the snow.. Thanks for all the support you guys give us all!! TRS is AWESOME!!!!

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
BII + 4.0 = 100% Awesome

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score