•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Finally got a winch for the B2!

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
[/IMG]

Finally decided to find a winch so I dont end up spending the night in the woods again like last weekend. Found this bad boy on craigslist for $200. It was a winch used by the local sheriff's office dive team. The guy says he tried it last night and it worked but I haven't tried it. I have his business card and he said give him a call if I have any issues. My buddy says with it being a WARN winch I should be ok because any issues as far as with the solenoids or motor I can just by replacement parts. I went to my local haborfreight today and bought the winch mount for the reese receiver so I will work on mounting it tonight and hoping tomorrow I can go get stuck some where and try it out! Super excited now because usually I have to beg a buddy to come wheeling with me just so I have some one to pull me out but now I have a way to pull myself out!! I looked these bad boys up online and they are selling anywhere from $600-850 so I feel that I get a good deal on it! I will mount it and take a pic of my setup and see what yall think. My bumper is pretty ghetto looking but hopefully it'll be good for what I built it for.

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Good score.

I've had a XD9000i on my Ranger since about '95. Never given me any trouble outside of one of the pre-crimped ends on a motor wire got hot and started smoking once (fix was cut the crimped end off and then solder a real end onto it, followed by soldering all the rest as well).

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Yeah I gotta find a roller for the cable. My local harbor freight has them but not sure of the price. Ebay has them for about $20. I guess I am going to use it tomorrow night without the rollers and work on getting something next week some time.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
First rule of off road is never go alone, if something breaks your still stuck. Oh! good deal by the way, well done.

94 lngbd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
for $299 you could of bought the 12,000 lb winche brand new at Harbor Freight. There on sale now with a coupon in there latest flyer which expires 4/30

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
I would gladly trade a new 12,000lb harbor freight winch for that one.

I have that Warn winch. Hands down, it's a better winch, and it's sealed so you don't have to worry about it getting in the water.

12,000 winches are typically slow because of the gear reduction. Had one of those too. The XD9000i is much faster.

Great score jkufen.

Schnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
The harbor freight winches are slow but they are actually pretty good quality. I haul trailers for a living and I use it every day to winch trailers onto my 53' wedge trailer. About a year and a half of trouble free use. For the price you can't beat it. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364658105.801481.jpg

Sent from my iPhone.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Yeah I saw the winches in harbor freight but I wasn't sure about having access to replacement parts. With this warn winch if one little piece goes wrong I can call up Warn and get another one I was scared with the Harbor Freight winch they would say sorry you have to buy a whole new winch. I bought the winch mount from Harbor freight and it will need a little modification before I am completely satisfied with it but all in all it wasn't bad for $30. I will post some pics soon of it on the truck.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0

This thing weighs in at a total of 105 pounds so my next project will be beefing up the front in