•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Going to put a 99 Explorer d35 and 4.0 into my 86 B2 need advice.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Ok a good deal on a 1999 Ford Explorer 4.0 4x4 Manual Transmission just fell in my lap so I am going next weekend to get it. Here goes the questions. Is there are threads here where people have used newer model explorers for the swap? I checked the tech library and the newest was 1994. Also I believe the Explorer has auto locking hubs because I don't see a transfer case shifter by the gear shifter. Is there a way to make a electronic locking t-case a manual locking t-case like my B2? Can I use parts from my 86 B2 to do that? I really have too many question to ask in a thread but if yall have any advice about the swap I'd really appreciate it. I am doing the engine, transmission, transfer case, front and rear axles hopefully one after another and get it done quick so I can get back on the road! I also thought about swapping the dash but I don't know if the Explorer dash is too big.

PlumCrazy

Solid Axle Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
95+ Explorer front suspension/axle is completely different and not going to work under a B2.

You can use the engine and trans, but use your current tcase. You will need to use an older Ranger/Expo for a wiring harness/PCM donor.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
So are you telling me there is no way to put the front and rear axle underneath the B2 or are you saying it won't just bolt in like the older models will? Some modifications I can do.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Sorry miss read he post. What would it take.to get the front axle in?

PlumCrazy

Solid Axle Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Do yourself a flavor and look under both vehicles. If simply looking at both doesn't explain why it wont work, then I don't think you are ready take on the motor swap yet either.

About the only way I see to put a 95+ Expo setup under a B2 is to just swap bodies and shorten the frame.

-PlumCrazy

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Sorry miss read he post. What would it take.to get the front axle in?
You would effectively have to graft the entire forward section of the frame to get the mounting points for the pumpkin and control arms.

Do you actually understand the differences that we are talking about between the two setups?

What this question generally boils down to whenever it come up is that those who want to usually don't have the skills/equipment. Those who have the skills/equipment don't bother because it is not worth it.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Well if thats the case then Ill just use the rear and see if I can trade the front for an older model at a pick and pull. No I do not have the know how to actually plan this swap in my head. I have never done anything like this. I am a novice mechanic but I will never know how until I take the leap and do it. I have several mechanic friends that I can turn to if I need to but I am going to try this on my own to understand it better. I have been studying writeups and the tech library about older model explorers so I didn't realize there was that much of a difference between the two. This is going to be a trial and error experience for myself and my dad who is helping me. I have an understanding of the engine and all of its components and I have another 4.0 vehicle to try and use as a guideline with the help of lots of pictures and labels I will take as I am disconnecting things. As far as the rear end, will it fit like the older model explorers? Is it still the 8.8 like the older models I believe? Lastly does anyone know the gearing off hand and if so is there an older model explorer front end that will work without having to regear? I am a beginner at this so I don't quite know the ins and outs of the explorers like you guys do but that is why i am asking these questions so that you experienced members can share yalls knowledge. Thanks for the help so far.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Your on the right track now use the older dana 35 out of a Ranger or a explorer and forget about your ifs setup.Mine has a 93 motor in it I traded the dash and steering column at he same time.It worked real good for me like the newer dash better but you need to research to find out about the newer ones.When you get the Explorer the rear end tag will tell you the gear ratio.When I did this to mine the enjoyment of driving it went way up not because its faster but the drivability is so much better.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
ok well glad i finally got that stuff straight. I will check the local pick and pull and see about a front end. I will look at the dash once I get the truck here. The truck is 3 hours away so I havent seen anything but pictures of the truck. When I get it I will work on figuring if the new dash will fit or not. I think as long as it is a good width I can make brackets to get it to fit in. If not I will just wire the old dash to the new engine. My dad is a master mind when it comes to electronics and wiring. This project is going to be a learning experience for me. If anyone has any tips that makes the 4.0 swap easier I am all ears.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0

These are just a few pics of the donor. I am not really a big fan of the 4 door explorer but if I was I would just keep this instead of stripping it down.

PlumCrazy

Solid Axle Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
The only good way to put the 95+ dash in an older truck is to actually cut out and swap firewalls.

The mounting points are completely diff, the columns are diff, the brake booster/pedal brackets are diff. Etc

Like I said earlier, find yourself and older Expo or Ranger for a dash/wiring donor.

I almost done with my buddys B2 done this way.

96 Expo 4.0
93 Ranger Dash/column/pedals
93 base model Ranger complete engine/interior/chassis harness PCM
95 Ranger D35
96 Expo 8.8

Its almost all plug and play. Just have to splice on your old headlight and market plugs.

We probably won't ever hook up the rear wiper or defrost, but it wouldn't be hard.

-PlumCrazy

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Ok ill have to go looking for an older explorer dash and wiring. Ill probably try to trade mine off and see if i can get it without paying money. Next question is the stock transfer case going to handle mild off roading? Or do i need to get that from an older explorer too?

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
And whats the PCM? Is that any different then just the regular wiring harness? Also is there a tip or trick to getting the wiring harness out the easiest or just like i figured and strip the whole truck down on the firewall.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
lol thanks I am knew about the ECU but didn't realize there was a more centralized computer that operated the ECU. I was under the impression the it started with the ECU. I guess I learn something new every day :icon_thumby: Thanks again for the link.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Next dumb question... Is the interior/chassis/engine harness one piece or is it separate harnesses?

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Bubba, I ain't trying to pick, but you are making this harder than what it should be.

The best source for a swap is a 91 to a 94 Ex. Then the dash, front end and wverything you need will be there. Might wanna fix up the 99 a bit, sell it and find a more suitable donor.

I understand that you really wanna do this, but be patient. Once you start rushing, you're bound to screw something up.

A lot of the builds on here, have taken years. With even more time in preparing for them.

Read through the build threads. Follow them closely. There is a reason some things aren't done very often.

Good luck

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Well I have been reading yalls post and yall really have helped me a lot. If i could back out of the deal I would. I jumped the gun a little and gave the man the money before I really looked into using the 1999. I paid $500 for a running and driveable 4x4 explorer so the deal was good. From what I have read through the post the reason I would have to swap the dash and wiring harness is obviously the 1986 wiring won't do very well with 1999 components and the other issue was the dash would not fit in the B2 because of the different brackets. Well after talking with my dad and my buddy that works at a classic car place we have come up with a way to use the 1999 ford explorer dash parts in my B2. My buddy that customizes classic cars says he can build me an all new fiberglass dash that will house all of the dash components from the 1999 expo and then build it to fit my stock 86 B2 dash brackets. Now before all of the negativity starts I know this is more time and more money that it should be but with a new dash I can customize how I want things to look and where I want them to be.

Now my question to you guys is, as far as the wiring goes, what components will not be just a plug and play setup if I use the 1999 dash, engine, and transmission? As far as I know by the previous post the headlights and I am sure the taillights won't hook up but I am going to rewire the whole thing anyways so I can run HID's without setting my truck on fire. I will use the explorers relays and computer and etc. Before I bought this explorer I was just going to use this truck to stick in the woods but the more and more I thought about doing a fiberglass dash and center console the more I think I will take my time on this bronco and really fix it up nice.

Again right now I can safely say that everyone reading this thread is probably shaking their head and saying some bad things about me lol but I believe I can make it work. I mean the guys that put the big blocks and the one guy that has the 6.2L diesel didn't have a dash to use and the harnesses wasn't plug and play so it can be done. I think with a little time and patience, I can probably do 80% of it without the use of other professionals.

PlumCrazy

Solid Axle Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I know of a chop top BII with the SOHC 4.0 and 95+ dash and firewall. It can be done, but it will take time, patience, fab skills, and wiring diagrams.

-PlumCrazy

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Yeah I know it can be done. This project was going to originally be a 2 month project but I will probably run the B2 stock for now and I am going to go through the engine and clean it and paint it and I am going to wire everything up while the engine is out of the truck then once I know I have everything and everything will wire up I will put it in the truck. I will end up painting the engine bay and clean it all up. I have to do some patch work where there is some rust.