•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Gotta drop the tank on my 86 B2 need help!

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Well my B2 has been running pretty rough here the last few weeks and I have narrowed it down to either the fuel pumps or the tank itself. I am going to drop the tank and see if there is anything in the tank clogging up the line. Any tips on how to go about dropping the tank? Are the lines and hoses long enough to drop the tank to the ground then disconnect the lines and wires? I almost wish my truck was a pickup because they are easy to get to the top of the tank but I have a feeling it won't be so easy with my B2. Thanks.

Swepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I cut a access hole in my hatch he'll of a lot easier. To mess with it. But if you don't want to do that. I think there is 4 bolts in the skid plate. Then 2 straps. With 2 bolts each. Take plate off. Then. Put jack under tank. Lower downs little then there's 2 fuel lines. And one wire plug with 4 wires. Give or take a few. Direct on top. Centered toward the front. After tnk is down. There is a kind of lock washer holding in fuel pump i used a screwdriver to turn it then pull out the fuel pump and hanger.

Hope that helps. Mine was a 89 but should be about same.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
I cut a hole to access my tank. If you can get a piece from another b-II it works great;

Richard

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
But will the lines and wires reach the ground when I drop the tank?

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
Sorry, I'm not near my truck to look. I would imagine that there would be enough slack to lower the tank enough to remove lines. I don't have personal experience tho.
Good luck,

Richard

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
There's enough slack to lower the tank a few inches so you can get your hand in there to disconnect stuff.
Certainly there is nowhere near enough for the tank to reach all the way down to the ground with everything connected though.

As was said, 4 bolts for the skidplate, remove skidplate, 2 bolts up front on the tank straps (1 bolt each), remove straps (disengaging them from the slots at the rear crossmember), lower tank.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Ok are the lines on the 86 the "air hose" lines where you have to slide the end back and then pull off the line?

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Never mind I see the pics of the 89 above Im sure they havent changed lines. Thanks for the help!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
You'll have to slowly lower the tank enough to get your hands in there to disconnect stuff, other than that there's not enough slack in the wiring or the fuel lines to drop the tank completely. What I used on a vehicle to lower a tank like that was a floor jack with a transmission jack attachment on it that gave it a larger platform and used that to steady the tank as I disconnected everything then slowly lowered the tank, it worked great as the tank was about 3/4 of the way full naturally when the pump failed.

darken

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford truck
Hi, I Have An 86 B II, Did My Fuel Pump A Few Years Ago...
Be Sure To Drain Your Tank First! My Gauge Read Empty, But There Was 11 Gallons In It. Nearly Crushed My Self!
You Need To Lower It About 3-4 Inchs And The Disconnect Your Lines.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
In the pics I posted above ^^^ the pump is adapted to the tank to feed a 4.0.
I didn't do the install so I'm not sure what it's from tho I talked to the guy that did the install a few years after I got the truck. He recalls that it's from a mustang tank. I don't know what if any bearing that would have on the lines you see in the pic.

Richard

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
Richard, Other than your connections being in different locations the connectors themselves appear to be identical to the stock setup.

Just to thow in my 02 cents I opted to drop the tank rather than cut the body pan and it wasn't overly difficult.

Last edited:

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
I've done both. I would cut the hole rather than drop the tank again.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Well I found a faulty wire in the relay connector for the fuel pump so i went to advance auto and bought an alternator plug that i will adapt to fit my fuel pump relay and then I might not have to drop the tank if that was the issue. I am keeping my fingers crossed but if I do I am sure I can do it with no extreme difficulty.