•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Helga, My 88 B2 Build...

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Let her rest in peace!

So yeah as I explained in my text I tried two different batteries (the one I swapped in was known to be dead but not exactly how) and tried starting it with a 200amp booster with no more than a half a revolution of cranking, so either both batteries are super dead (remember that one I lost up on Larch that wouldn't even light the dome light?) or I have an electrical problem, a quick glance over the wiring and it looks fine. I need to try using the battery out of my truck.

Moreover I really need to start over on the engine wiring and use my spare Megasquirt box. I never have liked the Ford EFI. So I need to order a new MS harness and a wideband O2 to do that and take a weekend to wire it. Then I need to get the stock shackles back in, and it really needs a new front bumper.

The tires are starting to get down there too.

Also that goddamn windshiled leak that I never could get fixed has destroyed the carpet so that has to go too.

I might as well show evidence that it was out with WoodyB2 during the winter :thefinger:

Last edited:

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Yeah man it just sounds like a dead battery. What are you planning on doing about tires? Are you going to get new swampers in the same size? How hard is the mega squirt system to setup? I am thinking with my engine swap I may just ditch the speed density and swap to MAF. And I thought you fixed that windshield leak lol. Are the floors rusting out?

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
If you can do a 4.0/5.0/5.8 swap you can do MS wiring. Personally I don't like MAFs (the default MS setup is SD, but it can use a MAF), I think it's a finicky, expensive sensor that adds unneeded complexity to the intake. Tires still probably have about 5k left in them, I'll either buy them again or switch to some kind of 33x12.50, the width would be really nice to have in the snow.

You could build a MS2 for about $250, plus harness, sensors and a wideband. I really like the infinite control at my fingertips.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
If you can do a 4.0/5.0/5.8 swap you can do MS wiring. Personally I don't like MAFs (the default MS setup is SD, but it can use a MAF), I think it's a finicky, expensive sensor that adds unneeded complexity to the intake. Tires still probably have about 5k left in them, I'll either buy them again or switch to some kind of 33x12.50, the width would be really nice to have in the snow.

You could build a MS2 for about $250, plus harness, sensors and a wideband. I really like the infinite control at my fingertips.

Is that $250 for all that stuff together or separate? I haven't researched a system like MS yet, I want to look into it though. How is the learning curve on tuning it? I would assume wiring it isn't to bad either?

BTW you will definitely like the wider tire in the snow, I would say go with a standard mud terrain though, but that's just because I can't stand swampers driving them to the trail. And I hate mud too.

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Ok, it was a little more than I thought, $280 for the MS2 kit (you have to solder the board, much like some of the stuff you did at work). The 8' harness is $67. A wideband is around $175, add in another $50ish for sensors and such. Tuning isn't too bad, there's quite a bit of info out there to make a good baseline tune to start with.

Now that I think about it, they make adapters to plug the MS directly into the Ford harness (very commonly used by 5.0 mustang guys). I would assume the 5.8 uses the same ignition setup, IAC, ect, as the 5.0. You would want to compare the connector pinout.

As far as the swampers though, they straight up get it done in the sticky stuff, which is all too common around here. They don't bother me too bad on the road, except for the wear.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Yeah actually putting a ms computer together doesn't bother me, but the tuning aspect of it would be a while new ball game. I will probably just stick with the stock ford PCM and speed density at first just to make sure I have everything together correctly.

Do you still have that 14 bolt you bought along time ago?

Last edited: