•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Help with Stability in corners

Wyld3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hello, i would like to know what kind of steps i can take to help with Stability (aiding in rollover protection) on an 87 4x4 Bronco II. It appears that some have installed longer axles, maybe spacers and such. Is there a certain type of rim width, or tires recommended? This will be my sons first car, and we are in the process of working on it. The truck is all stock at this point. I would like to upgrade the rims and tires, which is the reason for this question. If it does get off road it will be trails only. I run nitto terra grapplers on my full size. Is this a good option? I will not be lifting this truck at this time.Just curiuos to see if this is a major issue or if im taking the "rollover thing" out of context. The boy is fully aware that this is not a racecar, and that there is always the danger of a rollover. Thank you in advance.

richard booth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now.
Dont know if I am qualified but making sure the sway bar bushings are good, and I might add a steering stabilizer to slightly help the steering be consistent and less jerky if a sudden reaction occurs. No lift is good idea for now, then maybe a little at a time? Also tire pressure is important, you probibly know all this but there is my 2 cents. Hope someone more knowledgable has safety suggestions.

Swepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Maybe some wider offset wheels or spacers. Add some wheelbase if its got stock tires. Might but on some 235/75r15. More tire on ground.

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
More offset wheels is the first thing I'd do, then try to get a wider tire that isn't much taller. Then check out your sway bar bushings and links. You can get poly bushings for around 20 or 30 bucks, and they make a huge difference over the beat rubber ones the factory used. But if you have intention to wheel it in a couple years it will limit flex quite a bit.

broncogal

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 Loaded XLT
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
"Can't Never Did Shit"
Your main concerns should be good shock absorbers, good sway bars, good brakes, tight steering gear box, "and don't jack it up too high", as the center of gravity will change drastically! Short wheel base 4x4's usually have a 4 plus turn steering gear box, to help compensate for hard quick turns, so teach him to react to sudden direction changes, and he will be fine.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
I think the best thing you can do for your son is buy him a course in rally racing. He will be less likely to do something stupid if he has an idea of how vehicles react at the limits of adhesion.

Richard

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
to tell ya the truth i got my b2 at 17 and i took corners like they were not even there and from what i heard before i got it i thought i would role it and i never did so if your son is carefull and doesn't over do it he will be fine in stock form

CarsonChris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/87
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0/2.9
I had an 86BII that I lost control of. I was on a mountain highway and hit a pot hole in the road on a sharp curve. My front end started chattering and I lost traction. I slid sideways and came to a stop by a guardrail. Not sure If I couldv'e done anything different. Accidents happen, slow down is best advice.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The pedal in the middle is the "roll prevention device". Ford called it the SFD system or "Slow the F Down".

I have been driving one for about 1.5 years now after learning to drive on a Ranger. Once you get used to the way it feels on the highway it is just like any other vehicle.

Frankly I think these things feel a LOT better than a Wrangler.

Wyld3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thank you everyone for the great suggestions!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Teach your son how to drive correctly and he will never have a problem. Its not a sports car by any means, but with some good driving instruction he won't have any problems. I have an 84 b2 and it has the sway bars on it, which will help a lot if it don't have them it really helps stabilize the vehicle in higher speed turns, its no substitute for slowing down however especially until he gets used to how the vehicle handles. DO NOT put larger tires or a lift on it period. He needs to learn to drive correctly long before worrying about venturing offroad at all. A lift and larger tires will instantly give him the feeling that he's invincible and well he's far from it, an inexperienced driver in a modified truck will get them into trouble in a heartbeat. Trust me these Bronco 2's are pretty damn capable in stock form, people don't give them the credit they deserve in their capabilities. No they won't win any races but they will do more than what someone thinks they can. Get the Bronco running and driving correctly for him, get a good set of tires put on it, leave the wheels alone it don't need to look pretty its a first vehicle he's gonna mess it up. Teach him well, teach him to care for his vehicle properly for maintenance, driving, etc. As he advances in his driving abilities then possibly work on some accessories, a lift, tires, wheels, etc. But DO NOT start him out in something lifted it will lead to huge trouble for him, keep him lower to the ground and keep him safe.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
I never had an issue feeling like I was gonna roll my B2, even with the 4.0 power.. I did a body lift and still drove it to hard, then the 4" RC lift and never felt like an issue... Idk.. even with softer coils and extended radius arms with Bilstein 5150's I still don't have an issue. I just keep the sway bar connected now (where I didn't before).