•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Holy rotting metal Batman!

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well,
I picked up a maroon 93 Explorer XLT with a bad auto tranny for a song, at least here in Alaska, $400. Motor ran fine but needed a tune up. I put the 92 A4LD from my 88 BII project into it and tuned the motor up; runs perfectly now. :yahoo:

Well, I replaced the door hinge pins as the front ones were wiped. Felt pretty good so I decided to investigate the rust bubble I saw above rocker covers. Hmm, I knew these trucks with the fancy rocker covers develop rust there but.... Yikes, here's what I found on the right side. :shok: Like I said I had seen this on other Explorers with the covers so I was not overly surprised. I have not yet looked at the left side yet but can see it will be about teh same..... Cleaned it up to see what I had to repair. After removing the rotted stuff there was not much left so I looked into replacement panels and shipping to here. Yeah right, that's more than I paid for the truck! I happen to have a 91 I bought for the manual tranny with all new clutch parts and flywheel to replace the auto I took from my 88 BII project. It has perfect sheet metal in those spots. So before I junk the shell I'm going to excise those parts and repair this truck. So for now I cleaned it up with metal prep and coated everything in sight with POR 15 until I can get to it; no pics of that though as my hands were icky, even with gloves on. Looks bad but is just the outside metal to make the truck pretty. More to come.

Attachments

Last edited:

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Looks like your extended cab windows are leaking like mine are...I have a small rust bubbLE starting and its pisssing me off...I would be furious if I found that lol

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
man am i glad to live in MS

azbronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
seen them all in mich like that. my sister got one it was cherry garage kept and everything and one year later it looked like swiss cheese

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Suzuki,Inf
Engine Size
not too bad, but rust is only an issue if you have my truck

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yeah I've seen way worse too, just not on one of my automobiles. I got the "new" metal cut out of my 91 donor last night. That's one thing about summer here in Alaska as it was 1100 clock last night when I got done and I had no idea it was that late as it was still full light. I was using my plasma cutter, cut off wheel in my angle grinder, sawsall and an air hammer and no one two houses over who were having a get together and no one complained.....

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Ya I got a rusted out radiator support that makes noises over every bump. Hoping to buy a welder and do it myself... Seen one advertised by Eastwood. A mig welder for 339.99, I just need all the "other" stuff to go with it...

Original_Ranger84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Yeah I've seen way worse too, just not on one of my automobiles. I got the "new" metal cut out of my 91 donor last night. That's one thing about summer here in Alaska as it was 1100 clock last night when I got done and I had no idea it was that late as it was still full light. I was using my plasma cutter, cut off wheel in my angle grinder, sawsall and an air hammer and no one two houses over who were having a get together and no one complained.....
Gotta love Alaska, I get so much more done in the summer time its insane. I was driving to anchorage last summer at like 2am and it just started getting dark and by 3am it was getting light again.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I bought my Lincoln HD100 a couple years ago and have run a lot of wire through it. I finally got the mig conversion kit for it, now to swing a gas bottle for it......

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
I drive worse...

Parts runner at work, one of those running board deals was dragging and I ripped it off so I didn't run over it, the other one is about to do the same.

It keeps getting flipped back and forth if they are going to fix it or sell it and get me a half ton to drive around (would be better IMO) Ex is nice for keeping stuff dry, but it would be nice to be able to haul bigger things too.