•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

I'd like to clear up b*****t about gear oil in a M5OD trans.

90B24wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
As I am cleaning up a 2.9 M5OD tonight getting it ready for a rebuild, I have noticed that this trans is in very mint condition internally. :yahoo: And why I say this is because while I was cleaning the bearings with solvent, it spins quietly & smooth (even when dry). What I got here is a well broken in trans!!!
I don't remember what the mileage of the truck but, it was an 88 2wd bought 7-8 years ago for parts. (payed $75.00 for it) The outside was caked with grime. This trans is the in best condition compared to the other 4 that I tore apart this week. Some of the others were screwed up rebuilds. The machined & bearing surfaces looks like a mirror. Even the syncros is in mint condition.
I do not know how long the gear oil was in there but thank you to the person who put it in.
The bad part is where the syncros mates to the gears, it is shiny and smooth. This can be corrected with 80 grit sandpaper. The only reason why I think that gear oil should not be used is because where the syncros meshes with the cone part of the gears, it becomes to smooth not letting the syncros to bite the cone for smooth shifting.
I do not have to change any bearings. I'll only change the output shaft & seals.
Gear oil is good for gears & bearings but not for smooth shifting.
I would like to try a trans oil made by Specialty Formlations but don't know where to get it from.
So for those who have gear oil in their M5OD trans it is not all that bad. :icon_thumby: And it is not because this trans has close tolerances ATF must be used either.

Last edited:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Coast Mountain Crawlers
Supporting Member
Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2002/2008
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/4.0L/6.4L
K...it was DESIGNED to be run with Mercon ATF in it. Nuff said.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The gear oil that was in it more than likely wasn't 80w90...it was probably a thinner gear oil. Sanded the mating surface for the snycros? WHY?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
OR you could just use ATF and change it often (or really just when you're supposed to). No sanding syncro's, no hard shifting, and no crazy wear.

shane96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I would bet it's more likely it's motor oil than gear oil. This is quite common.

I just had my T5 built and it's had 15W-40 (diesel oil) in it for years, so that's what went right back in it. When I put the oil in, it was starting to make noise and shift rough, and this cleared right up when I changed the oil. My friend owns a trans shop, and he has a builder in there that's been building manual trans' for years. I asked him (without giving my history on it) what fluid he recommended for the T5 and he said 10W-30 or 15W40. Ford says ATF should go in it.

Last edited:

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
what good is the trans if the synchro's wear out sooner due to gear oil vs Mercon?

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
You take your findings from one single mazda trans that ran gear oil through it and post them as if they are gospel. I have seen plenty of these transmissions which ran gear oil for a prolonged amount of time and one thing is certain, they get hot and bake gear oil onto every single non-moving part inside the transmission. That baked gear oil holds any metal which would have made it's way to the magnetic drain plug. That little plastic "pump" in the front of the transmission actually does alot more than you think it does too and when faced with a thicker fluid it's almost useless. I have already drilled out lexan for use as a top cover so that I could see the difference in splash feeding between heated gear oil and transmission fluid and it barely pumps the stuff at 2500rpms. Not to mention the extra cushioning between the bearings causes the transmission to experience a longer slow-down time between shifting. Oh and did you know that certain gear oils are corrosive to yellow metals?

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
I don't see the point of not using what it was designed for. If it was designed to use ATF, then use ATF.

7.5L_STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
unnecessary
in my old 2.3 2wd i ran 80/90 and besides being a little hard to shift when below freezing i never had a problem with it.

but i only put that in there cause i didnt know better, so if it takes ATF and you KNOW this fact then put ATF in....is it that hard to follow directions?

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Man......can we beat a dead horse or what??????????

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
As I am cleaning up a 2.9 M5OD tonight getting it ready for a rebuild, I have noticed that this trans is in very mint condition internally. :yahoo: And why I say this is because while I was cleaning the bearings with solvent, it spins quietly & smooth (even when dry). What I got here is a well broken in trans!!!
I don't remember what the mileage of the truck but, it was an 88 2wd bought 7-8 years ago for parts. (payed $75.00 for it) The outside was caked with grime. This trans is the in best condition compared to the other 4 that I tore apart this week. Some of the others were screwed up rebuilds. The machined & bearing surfaces looks like a mirror. Even the syncros is in mint condition.
I do not know how long the gear oil was in there but thank you to the person who put it in.
The bad part is where the syncros mates to the gears, it is shiny and smooth. This can be corrected with 80 grit sandpaper. The only reason why I think that gear oil should not be used is because where the syncros meshes with the cone part of the gears, it becomes to smooth not letting the syncros to bite the cone for smooth shifting.
I do not have to change any bearings. I'll only change the output shaft & seals.
Gear oil is good for gears & bearings but not for smooth shifting.
I would like to try a trans oil made by Specialty Formlations but don't know where to get it from.
So for those who have gear oil in their M5OD trans it is not all that bad. :icon_thumby: And it is not because this trans has close tolerances ATF must be used either.
WOW ! You sure told us !

90B24wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Sorry if I got anyone angry. All I'm doing is posting my observations on a trans that someone else has put fluid in other than ATF. ( it's gear oil I can smell it) I'm putting
ATF back in there. What I'm saying is that the gear oil did not mess it up internaly, it only helped the moving metal parts in the trans honed itself for a better fit. I can't wait to put this in trans in my truck cause the other trans in there now is a whiner. I'm working on 4 other trans and did not like what I saw in the others. (they probaby only had ATF in it?)
Alot of these trans whine because ATF failed to properly lubricate the gears & bearings. They say
to put ATF why, only because it will make shifting gears easier!!!

Last edited:

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Okay, you take your finding on one tranny you pulled apart, and I'll give you my rebuttal.

I bought my Mazda with 140k miles, at 170k miles it started vibrating HORRIBLE at 15mph. I'm talking enough vibration where I could mix a drink by setting it on the dash, and you can't see out the rearview mirror as if I had subs. After putting it in the air and getting awfully confused when everything checked out, changing wheel bearings, changing brakes, tearing the rearend apart and replacing rear bearings and brakes - my uncle Ricky suggested we check out the fluid. It was gear oil, no question. So, I put in ATF, and 200 miles later - no more vibration. Truck drives like a new one.

90B24wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
What I'm saying is I liked what the gear oil did to the gears & bearings in my trans.
(mirror smooth surfaces) Probably the gear oil was in your trans so long it turned in to
goo. You didn't say what it looked like when you drained it. Did you ever try mixing thinset (used in setting ceramic tile) when you don't have the right amount water. The drill
that is used to mix it with will take a beating. And thats what I think your drive train was going through. But I'll bet that your trans with the ATF in there is better than new!
I am not putting back gear oil my trans! The gear oil cleaned up the rough spots already. I'll be putting ATF back in there.
I scored 2 more m5od's on my lunch break yesterday at my favorite JY for $25.00 apiece. Also found a m5od-r2 at another site for free. :yahoo:

Last edited:

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
I scored 2 more m5od's on my lunch break yesterday at my favorite JY for $25.00 apiece. Also found a m5od-r2 at another site for free. :yahoo:
Thats it?! Lucky man...Do they need to be rebuilt or?

90B24wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
1 is for 2.9 2wd. Gears looks OK and rotates freely. I think syncro's needs to be replaced. The other is for a 2.3 2wd. 3rd gear & counter gears are in pieces. What I like about this one is it has the upgraded 5th & reverse gears which I will be putting in my 88 trans.

Last edited:

90B24wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Okay, you take your finding on one tranny you pulled apart, and I'll give you my rebuttal.

I bought my Mazda with 140k miles, at 170k miles it started vibrating HORRIBLE at 15mph. I'm talking enough vibration where I could mix a drink by setting it on the dash, and you can't see out the rearview mirror as if I had subs. After putting it in the air and getting awfully confused when everything checked out, changing wheel bearings, changing brakes, tearing the rearend apart and replacing rear bearings and brakes - my uncle Ricky suggested we check out the fluid. It was gear oil, no question. So, I put in ATF, and 200 miles later - no more vibration. Truck drives like a new one.
You're another one, you still don't get it do you. The answer is staring at you in your face. You admitted it "Truck drives like a new one". YOU CAN NOT LIE WE READ WHAT YOU WROTE!!! Don't you see your truck got a anama shot of gear oil and now everything is better. Kapish
AS for your vibration, it could of been something else or it could of been related. :beer:

Last edited:

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size

Like I stated in a previous post you are beating a dead horse. For the immaculate internals (as you say) that you found with the inside of your trans may not be the same for someone else.....consider yourself lucky. Cause it wasn't 80w90 gear oil that was in there...there are thinner grades of gear oil that somebody else may have dumped in it. You can talk till you are blue in the face about the gear oil and it won't change a thing....ATF does just the same as what you say the gear oil did. Enough said.