•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

If you had $2000 what will you do?

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
just be prepared for the nickle and dime crap... no matter how much you plan, you will miss a few items... and they will add up!

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Nuts and bolts add up. VERY quick. As do brake lines, hoses, and fluid. Dont forget the cost of paint, cutoff wheels, wire wheels, grinding wheels, welding materials, drill bits, etc.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1936/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
V-8...Carbed/fo-barrel
What will you do to this 1987 ford bronco II? I need ideas
If you want it to LOOK better........(A) go with bigger tires/lift to accomodate tires.....

If you want it to perform better....(B) swap to a bigger engine.....

OR.......do.........(A) & (B)..................for the time being...........

but i drive a street-truck...what do i know ;missingteeth;

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Lets see, brake lines $100, Gears that's $100, you need an install kit too, that's another $100, if you're gearing the front you probably need to gear the rear too, that's another $100 plus another $100 for another install kit. Carrier breaks, depending on your gear ratio, you're probably going to need new carriers too. That's $50 each. Gear oil, for your fancy new gears, $6 a quart, but you have to change it after about 50 miles on your new gears, so double that. Steering, $200 for tube and rod ends. If you need a drop pitman arm, that's another $50.

If you're going to put a new axle under the truck, may as well rebuild it. Ball joints, you need 4 of those at $40 a pop. Wheel bearings, inners and outers, Timken's are $50 a piece. Calipers, you need two of those, $50 each. Hubs, you're spending all this money on this axle, may as well put some good hubs on it. I mean, what's another $100, right?
Your prices are way off, $100 for brake lines? $160 for ball joints/$200 wheel bearings/$100 calipers? I have less than $150 into all of that and I did not buy cheapo parts (and none of it has broken over the last 3 years that my SAS has been done either.)

You can get insanely good deals just talking around and playing the waiting game, I got a free disc brake 8.8 with 4.10s and a complete HP Dana 44 with 4.10s for $50. Factory steering parts can be made to work, $50 Explorer leaf springs, $50 2" block kit, $50 Belltech shackle kit, $200 worth of coil spring parts, $200 worth of shocks and probably $500 for driveline length changes, bushings, bearings, and other supplies.

Right there you are sitting with $1100 out of pocket and a rig that is useful on 33's.

That said I do NOT have $1100 into my D44 and 8.8 swap, I did everything myself and got insanely good deals on a lot of stuff and spent way less than that $1100 figure.

Back to the original question, what would I do with $2000? Hard to say, probably wouldn't spend it on my truck, but if I absolutely had to spend it on your B2, I'd SAS it.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
not everyone can walk into deals like that either.

plus there is a lot of small stuff you didn't include in your $1100, every build is different. some people have to buy bolts/nuts where I can get them at the shop... some people don't have decent junkyards around that they can find the stuff they need, heck... some people don't know how to cross reference parts numbers to really know how to junkyard build stuff. so of course, their builds costs more.

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
If Obongo is still President in November! Buy a s__t load of ammo!!

richard booth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now.
I would catch up all the maintanence like tranny service, fluids, tune up etc, then I would do a 2" body lift, it makes everything easier. Then I would get a lift I would be happy with, 4" rough country that brinker suggested or better yet a 4" w extended length radius arms and tires. You would have so much fun with it you would be hooked for life like some of us.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
New tires on the B2, repair the rust issues, and have it painted.

CarsonChris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/87
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0/2.9
I would find an exploder to swap drive trains with. I'm seriously thinking about that right now. I found an A4ld in a junkyard that wants 400. I can pull one for 100$ if I can find one. I could find an exploder for 500 and get a trans and an engine. I may sale the axles if I find a sploder. I don't plan on serious 4x action in the new BII. More daily driving with the occassional off road trip.