•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

In like a lamb out like a lion!

rednine4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
So I've been wokring on prepping my BII for a 302 transplant. It's pretty close to putting the engine in.. here are a few pics of when I first got it and began dealing with rusted floor boards etc... I will post more pics as I get them uploaded to photobucket.

Had to weld a flat piece over this and re-drill a hole...

Ohio rust is a floor board killer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Wow, that's a lot of rust! I used to drive through Ohio every week to go to Maine, and from OH up through NY I even saw many newer cars and trucks rusted through. Keep us posted... we like pics! :icon_thumby:

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Wow yeah that is a lot of rust. Looks like you have good plans for it. Good luck!

dirttrackracer

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
more pics! rust sucks i will have to sandblast my cab. i hate salt

rednine4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Those first pics were taken early Feb. During the rest of the month of FEB I got it to the following point:

rednine4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
The engine im using is a spare from my 90 mustang gt... This engine was neglected/abused by the previous owner... lots of sludge and excessive wear.. I had it honed, hot tanked, freeze plugs, cam bearings etc... before installing new rings bearings..... it has a ford explorer cam shaft, E7 heads with only 40k (from another mustang) Decided not to go too crazy with it just wanted a fun toy to tool around town in.

rednine4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Has anyone else used these headers in a 4x4 swap? These are the Advanced adapters headers... the only reason I am going to use them is because I bought them for cheap off of a guy who had planned to do the same swap but backed out.

dirttrackracer

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
if they wont fit you can always bend the ends in some to squease them in there

rednine4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Cool.. I will find out how they fit later this week... hopefully. I am currently debating on which route to take for the carb. I have a 2 barrel motorcraft 2100 that needs to be rebuilt which could probably be done fairly easily and cheap.. or I was thinking about going all out and buying a truck avenger 470...:dunno:

traildevil67

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
I have those headers on my 85' ranger they fit just fine.

hddave1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
302 v8
nice job on the floor pans..what is the black coating you used

rednine4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks.. the floor boards were not something I really wanted to deal with at first, but it was actually kind of fun to do.

As for the black coating - I put POR15 on the seams and places subject to future rust, then I top coated it with a flat black 500 degree temp paint... I figured it may get hot in some places due to exhaust, so the temp resistant paint would probably be well suited.

Good to know on the Header fitment :)

I will be mating the trans, flexplate, TC, and engine today

rednine4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford

Refreshed the trans and installed the JW 157 tooth bellhousing.. the engine got the 157 tooth flexplate from summit racing with 50 oz imbalance

still a good ways from running but having it in the BII provides a burst of motivation :icon_cheers:

2813josh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Hell yeah lookin good!
:icon_cheers:

rednine4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Update... got the fuel lines ran, and truck avenger 470 carb. just waiting for a few parts in the mail and the rest is down hill.

In the meantime I will have to find a power steering and associated brackets for the belt setup. I would like to do this on a budget. any suggestions for donor cars etc?

rednine4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
any particular year crown vic?

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I believe my donar was a 86.

These pics are old,let me know if I can get a better one to help,Ill be under the hood of it tomm to fix a FPR leak and I can take some new ones.

rednine4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
It runs! :icon_hornsup: I've got it to the point where I fired it up... and got oil pressure...didnt let it run long at all because the radiator along with other small things need hooked up.

My main concern is what should I do for a radiator and fan? I have looked around and it seems like there is no easy solution that will fit nice and cool it adaquately without core support mods or using pusher fan. :icon_confused:

I guess it's not a big deal but i'm uncertain on which route to take. I want to have enough room to put a transcooler in front of the radiator.

at any rate here are some pics!

This gives a good idea of the space limitations for the radiator.

Here is a radiator from an old ford with a 390... I think it can cool it no prob, but with this one a pusher fan must be used as there is not room for a mechanical flex fan.

I used the shifter from a 89 mustang GT with an AOD. This took some modding to fit it in and make functional but I like the stock look it gives.