•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

inertia switch

gimedic1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Is the switch suppose to be up or pushed to be reset. I just bought 1989 BII with 85,000 miles the owner parked.He said It just quit running so he bought a Chevy. He had replace the fuel-pump, she will turn over and run a few secs on starter fluid. I will remove the fuel filter and see if she is pumping gas and/or clogged.Also which one is the fuel relay under the fuses. Thanks.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The switch button should be down most of the way and feel floppy if the switch is set. It will be up and firm/springy if it needs reset.

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
x2 on what adsm said. i just got a 92 expo and it wouldnt start one day so i checked the inertia switch and it was still set so i took it and hit it against the floorboard and then set it again and my truck started so just cause its set doesnt mean its working all the time i guess so tap it and reset it.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The fuel pump relay socket will have the green base.
Brown is the PCM.

rochhound

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
when you turn your ignition switch to on you should hear your high pressure pump go on for a few seconds if you dont it could be inertia switch or high pressure pump located on frame near driver side door under vehicle. also there is a low pressure pump in the fuel tank that can cause fuel loss. you need to use process of elimination to find the problem. i once got stuck dead on the road no fuel pressure so i jumped power to my high pressure pump under vehicle and it fired write up and home i went,my interia switch was bad and wouldnt reset replaced end of problem. there are also relays inconjuctin
with inertia switch than can cause this problem.try the high pressure power jump to the battery if you have fuel pressure its the inertia switch, relays or open circuit. pressure should be when tested around 30 psi.
good luck hope this helps pm if you have more question steve!

gimedic1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Is it suppose to rattle(like a marble in a paint can) or not, been raining so can't play outside. I guess I NEED a garage, what about a dirty fuel filter? Also has anybody heard of TWO fuel filters on a BII, Thanks a LOT..

rochhound

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
yes it is,and it does have a ball bearing in it,inertia switch is safety device to turn fuel off in a roll over situation ! if you test it for continuity it should test as a closed circuit when upright

gimedic1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
If the ICM is bad will it allow the pump to work, the previous owner kept replacing fuel pumps, So I figured it might be the ICM(Ignition Control Module) easier to check than pulling the gas tank,Thanks