•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Jeep Guy Looking at a Bronco II

Ender

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Hello all. I am looking for some advice and opinions.

Let me start out by saying I owned a 1993 Wrangler 8 years ago before selling it and really enjoyed it. I loved working on it and learning about it. I am very familiar with Wranglers and have some confidence when working on them. I am no mechanic but with help of forums and factory service manuals I can usually figure it out.

I am looking at a 1986 Bronco II Eddie Bauer with 30,000 original miles (stored in a barn most of its life). It's has the 2.9 V6 - 5 speed with the push button 4x4. It has some minor rust bubbles around the doors and rear fenders. Frame is mint and never seen salt from the look of it. The power locks don't work and the driver side power window (I hate power windows) has a glitch where it will get stuck in the up position.

The current owner (co working and friend) replaced the fuel tank, some fuel lines, fuel pump, injectors and suspension parts.

This Bronco is in great shape. The price is right and Jeeps at this point are just over priced for what you get (don't get me wrong I still want one just cant afford it at this time). The Bronco's use will be for a daily driver and will be taken care of. However this is a whole new ball game for me and I really don't know what I am doing. I wanted to see if people thought this vehicle would be suitable for a role as a daily driver in the winter and back up vehicle in the summer.

Also how easy is it to work on and are parts still available (i know about the grave yard)

I am having a hard time finding write ups on the internet on how to do basic maintenance... changing the oils in the transfer case,trans ect. Even what kind of oils to use.

Thanks,
-Nick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
drive it a week or so then post up before you decide to buy...i know i would let my bud do that.

oh and welcome.

the b2 is ridiculously easy to work with. like anything it has pros and cons. i like them over the pre tj wranglers.

i have owned a few and currently have one that was gifted to us that is heavily modified.

very fun but in winter and wet conditions you have to respect them, just like a wrangler.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Engine gets 10-30, trans gets 80-90, t-case gets Mercon. Changing them is straight forward spill-n-fill. Make sure you can get the fill plug out before you spill.

Some of the original parts for an 86 are getting hard to come by. The good news is the 80-some% compatible upgrade parts from later models are generally easy to find.

shane96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Hello all. I am looking for some advice and opinions.

Let me start out by saying I owned a 1993 Wrangler 8 years ago before selling it and really enjoyed it. I loved working on it and learning about it. I am very familiar with Wranglers and have some confidence when working on them. I am no mechanic but with help of forums and factory service manuals I can usually figure it out.

I am looking at a 1986 Bronco II Eddie Bauer with 30,000 original miles (stored in a barn most of its life). It's has the 2.9 V6 - 5 speed with the push button 4x4. It has some minor rust bubbles around the doors and rear fenders. Frame is mint and never seen salt from the look of it. The power locks don't work and the driver side power window (I hate power windows) has a glitch where it will get stuck in the up position.

The current owner (co working and friend) replaced the fuel tank, some fuel lines, fuel pump, injectors and suspension parts.

This Bronco is in great shape. The price is right and Jeeps at this point are just over priced for what you get (don't get me wrong I still want one just cant afford it at this time). The Bronco's use will be for a daily driver and will be taken care of. However this is a whole new ball game for me and I really don't know what I am doing. I wanted to see if people thought this vehicle would be suitable for a role as a daily driver in the winter and back up vehicle in the summer.

Also how easy is it to work on and are parts still available (i know about the grave yard)

I am having a hard time finding write ups on the internet on how to do basic maintenance... changing the oils in the transfer case,trans ect. Even what kind of oils to use.

Thanks,
-Nick
Just thought I'd say welcome to TRS. Lots of great guys with lots of great info on here.

Ender

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Good advice so far!

I got a little nervous about finding a forum until I found this one. Alot of the others have very little traffic and usually are geared toward the full size Bronco.

Anyone know where to find a factory service manual? Do they have a free one online in a PDF?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
sometimes theres factory stuff on ebaaay.

the chiltons and haynes go a wsys towards the basics, i have both and usually have some online stuff like alldata to work with depending on what i am working on.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Welcome to TRS! Bronco II's are a fun little vehicle, but you have to take care of them just like any other vehicle. Keep searching through TRS and you'll find mounds of info on them!

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
Also rangers from 86 to 88 take the same parts, so if you find one of those you can harvest from them as well.

Good Luck :icon_thumby:

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
The modifications are endless, a really nice 88 B2 to look at is is 4.0B2's.

Check out the build threads.

Welcome.

RICO9

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Title says 84.
Vehicle
Furd
Engine Size
2.8L w/ Chevy TBI.
Welcome! The BroncoII is a very addictive little truck. Like you, I have a 97 TJ that I drive every day, but I get way more enjoyment out of my B2! Like the others have said, there is an endless supply of info for them here. Check out the tech library!

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Toyota
Engine Size
with all of those gremlins and rust, are you sure it doesnt have 130k miles?

Ender

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
I am pretty sure about the miles. The current owner says at one point it was re-painted and not prepped right and thats the reason for the rust.

My guess is after sitting for so long and possibly a crappy factory clear coat it might of faded and that's the reason it was repainted. It's the interior that looks like it only has 30k on it. Here are some pics to see what you guys think. Would you pay $3000 for this...

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
Wow :shok:

That is a very nice truck :icon_thumby:

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Toyota
Engine Size
yeah i would pay 3k for that haha

Ender

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
I saw that build and I will have to do the same with the rust. I will follow it closly.

Well last night I went back out and drove it on the highway....

I'm going to pick it up on Monday. I couldn't believe how smooth it drove at 75 mph. I hit some speed bumps at high speeds and it held true. It defiantly has 30k on it.

Owner went over all the things he has replaced and was for the most part almost trying not to sell it to me because he wanted me to understand it will need work just due to the age. It comes with a bunch of extra parts and workshop manuals. He even has a brand new factory 2.9 ford motor for it (sold separate). He might even be on this forum but I didn't ask.

Thanks again for all the help and advice. I'm sure you will see me posting up questions soon enough on questions I have. I did stop by the Tech Library and it does have ALOT of good info.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
keep the oil changed and that spare motor will rot before you use it.

never let it get hot and it will last a long long long time.