•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Late bronco 2 frame with eb66 ??

Angie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 4X4- His 92
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9-4.0L
Hey all, was wondering if a EB 66 body will fit onto a second generation bronco 2? has anyone did this switch? we have a 66 without papers and was thinking of getting a later bronco2 and building it up. we have a 302 (carbed early 70's mustang motor) for this bad boy.

cheers

broncogirl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88 BII in a 66
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Suspension Style
4wd
Late reply, but I have a '66 on an '88. If you build yours, I'd love to hear more. I don't have much advice to offer, as mine was built when I bought it, but I'll describe it as best I can here.

2.9L Engine and all running gear is '88 plus most of the interior - steering wheel; dash and components (except stereo won't fit in the reduced depth of the dash, so elsewhere) AT and manual 4x4 shifter; Eddie Bauer front and rear seats, dash, cargo area panels, etc. all fitted with just the early bronco shell. It even has the seat belt warning bell. Built by an obsessed welder who died before I bought it - he spent a couple of years building - custom made a whole new floor so the seats sit much lower than the EB (tall guys love this), custom shaped fenders so they are cut but do not look like it, massive bumpers, integrated roll cage that doesn't look like one, fuel door, swing-away tire carrier, etc. I can see lots of places where he had to lengthen or shorten things to fit. The whole transfer case linkage assembly, for example, has almost every part cut and welded to fit right.

Most EB guys shake their heads and say he was totally crazy when they look underneath, especially with the 2.9L engine. I use it as a daily driver and on snow covered roads - but not rock crawling - so I like the slightly better mileage, the reliability (I bought it with 40K and now am approaching 90K), the anti-lock brakes, AC, cruise control, etc. with the cute looks and removable top of the EB.

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Late reply, but I have a '66 on an '88. If you build yours, I'd love to hear more. I don't have much advice to offer, as mine was built when I bought it, but I'll describe it as best I can here.

2.9L Engine and all running gear is '88 plus most of the interior - steering wheel; dash and components (except stereo won't fit in the reduced depth of the dash, so elsewhere) AT and manual 4x4 shifter; Eddie Bauer front and rear seats, dash, cargo area panels, etc. all fitted with just the early bronco shell. It even has the seat belt warning bell. Built by an obsessed welder who died before I bought it - he spent a couple of years building - custom made a whole new floor so the seats sit much lower than the EB (tall guys love this), custom shaped fenders so they are cut but do not look like it, massive bumpers, integrated roll cage that doesn't look like one, fuel door, swing-away tire carrier, etc. I can see lots of places where he had to lengthen or shorten things to fit. The whole transfer case linkage assembly, for example, has almost every part cut and welded to fit right.

Most EB guys shake their heads and say he was totally crazy when they look underneath, especially with the 2.9L engine. I use it as a daily driver and on snow covered roads - but not rock crawling - so I like the slightly better mileage, the reliability (I bought it with 40K and now am approaching 90K), the anti-lock brakes, AC, cruise control, etc. with the cute looks and removable top of the EB.
And yet what were those old inefficient carb'ed Bronco V8s rated at for HP? 150 or somewhere thereabouts? The little 2.9L is almost there with it's 140 :) (of course you gotta rev it more to get that 140 lol).

Post up some pics, I wouldn't mind seeing how he did that myself.:cool:

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
word of warning, if you're trying to get around not having papers, you'll run into a problem with your frame swap: the papers go with the body, not the frame, so if you put your EB body on a B2 frame, you still won't have a title.

broncogirl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88 BII in a 66
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Suspension Style
4wd
the papers go with the body, not the frame, so if you put your EB body on a B2 frame, you still won't have a title.
Think that depends on the state and the vehicle(s). If the BII comes with title and the EB isn't stolen, your state should have some way to either use the BII title or retitle in some special category. Even if both titles are "lost", as long as the vehicles aren't stolen and they have VINs to verify, you should be able to get some sort of title(s) and registration(s).

My state, for example, has complicated definitions and rules for "salvage", "reconstructed", "assembled", "classic", "antique", "special interest", "street rod", etc. Many rely on the year of the body, but others do not.

Find out what your various title options are and what sort of VIN inspection might be required before you start your build. You may have to preserve some or all the VIN location(s). If your build will not include one or both VINs, you might want to first tile both vehicles and get VIN inspections on both so you have proof that neither were stolen before putting the two together.

I believe the BII only has the vin on the door label and the front window pillar or dash (correct me if I'm wrong, mine does not have either) and you probably would not include these in your build. You don't want to just register with your BII title and then later find out that you have to get periodic VIN inspections for that year of vehicle.

Last edited: