•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

linear rate or variable rate coils?

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
So which is better? Linear or variable rate springs? I have heard both are better and both are worse anyone have thoughts on this?

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
It depends on what you want out of it (they both have advantages and disadvantages).

My take on coils is:
If you're building a trail machine or rock crawler where flex is important, use linear-rate. Linear-rate coils flex better, where variables tend to restrict your flex on the uptravel side more.

If you're building a prerunner or something for more speed, use a variable rate. Over jumps and whoop-de-doos, the progressive nature of the spring will keep it from bottoming the suspension as easy (though the stiffer effect of the spring still won't replace having decent shocks on it with the proper valving).

Variable rate springs can be useful on something that you will be hauling a lot of weight in/on too (maintains a better ride while unloaded, but becomes stiffer when loaded down).

Hope that helps

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
that's probably the best explanation i've heard on it..

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Okay, I was plannig on using some variable rate springs from wild horses which they call Rock crawler springs. But maybe I should use the deaver super flex springs.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Variable are nice for daily drivers, the stiff section helps with road manners (body roll, for one), and helps avoid bottoming out your suspension on large bumps.

Linear rate are better for flex, so are generally preferred for a build. Personally, I would never use variable rate springs in a 4x4, unless it was also my dd that saw lots of highway clicks

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Well It may see daily driving but I only live 12 miles from work and have used it as a daily driver before with no top, no doors, and no AC/Heat so I guess I wouldnt mind the ride. I def want the most flex. Looks like the deavers it is! They are cheaper anyway.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yeah, I basically see variable rate coil springs as a spring attempting to double as a bump stop... Not the ideal choice.

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Yeah I know they are good for prerunners and stuff. Anyone have any experiance with the deaver super flex springs? Ill be using the Ballistic fab coil buckets and the 4.5 inch lift springs and hope to run 37s...