•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Lost all my oil on 2 seconds - like an oil bomb went off

arineod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II 4x4
Engine Size
2.9L
Yeah, it is the stock one. Never put any faith into it but figured it might be worth mentioning. I will check the valve covers again, I replaced them last week with the good felpro ones but there was a corner on the back side of the valve cover (passenger side) that had a bolt that only caught a few threads when I put it in. Didn't leak any after that but who knows maybe it is now. Will have to tap it and get a new bolt just to be sure. Passenger side valve cover is much easier anyhow.

Will run it and check again, then report back.

ryan

/mode channel +b *!*@*
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
I believe it was a Fram filter
that happened to me as well - same problem, same filter

the filter failed spectacularly - it wasn't double gasketed. just a bad filter. no post-failure engine problems, but it happened while i was still on the driveway

arineod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II 4x4
Engine Size
2.9L
that happened to me as well - same problem, same filter

the filter failed spectacularly - it wasn't double gasketed. just a bad filter. no post-failure engine problems, but it happened while i was still on the driveway
I will never by Fram oil filters again. Glad you caught it in the driveway! Driving down the highway would surely cause some damage by the time you stopped. I was lucky that I stopped immediately and didn't think twice about towing it back to the house. If I had tried to drive it, I would have destroyed my engine! $6 oil filter could have turned into a lot of money and still might.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Maybe excessive crank case pressure.

How plugged is your PVC valve?

arineod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II 4x4
Engine Size
2.9L
I think it was a coolant leak that mixed with the excess oil still left over from the Fram explosion. I see coolant coming down the front side of the block. Looks like it is coming from the area behind the thermostat but I can't be sure if it is the thermostat or not. Too far back to be the water pump and not loosing a ton of coolant. is there anything else besides the thermostat area that could be leaking?

must be the intake manifold

Last edited:

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Fram filters have been used on all my families vehicles for years and never had a problem. Had problems with other ones leaking but never had a Fram leak on us yet.

dirtsquirt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 2005
Vehicle
ford And jeep
Engine Size
2.9 And 4.0
Fram filters have been used on all my families vehicles for years and never had a problem. Had problems with other ones leaking but never had a Fram leak on us yet.
it's not a leak that is the problem the SOB'S blow holes like it's been shot with a 357 mag.. $60,000 motor replacment in a 385 excavator over a fram filiter...

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
IIRC, Totalled had 3 Fram filters blow up on him...

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
I was just saying that we've never had a problem. How the hell do ypu blow a hole in a fliter anyways, what would cause that?

Syko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Just wondering if we could get a pick of the fram oil filter?? if its not long gone by now

Thanks,
Syko

Explosive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Frams suck, I always use motorcraft.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
did you make sure the old oil seal came off the oil filter when you last changed it? If the old seal stays on the engine and the new seal from the new filter are pressed against each other, exactly what you describe will happen. Always check the old filter before a new one goes on. Engines have been lost this way. Also, you could have a bypass valve in the oil pump stick and allow pressure to build. This will cause the oil filter to split wide open. Its harder to diagnose . . see if it happens again.

Last edited:

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I also had a Fram oil filter blow up less than a month after changing oil on my Windstar van, puked it all out without notice. I will only buy Motorcraft now.

ifergusson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I used to have a Mercury Zephyr with a 302 that used to blow up oil filters on a regular basis until I changed the oil pump.I figured the pressure bypass valve must of been sticking.There is a good oil filter study floating around the internet and after reading it I have never used a Fram filter again.

ryan

/mode channel +b *!*@*
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
i had pictures when mine exploded, but i don't know where they are. this was a couple years ago

never had a problem with any other filter on that truck again, and AFAIK i haven't heard of problems since i sold it

the filter had ruptured on the side - i figured it was just one that made it past a QA inspection