•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Low/No Lift and Big Tires on a BII

TrikeKid

Reaction score
Probably going to be trading my current Toyota wheeler for a '65 Mustang soon, and I'm selling another car i have to give me the funds to buy another 4wd rig. I'm considering a BII based on the availability, already comes with a good v6 (4 bangers and big tires don't go together), and the fact that TTB rigs never cease to amaze me with their capability even in bone stock form.

A big problem I have with the 'Yota is just how tall it is, I rolled it twice in two months, in situations that really shouldn't have been a problem. Had I been wiser and seen this build when I started on mine, I would have gone a very different direction, spent a great deal less money and had a better wheeling rig. This is 37" MTR's on no lift, same body style as my truck.

Soo, I'm wondering if the same sort of thing is possible on an RBV. I wouldn't go as extreme as that 'runner but there is an abundance of used 33's for sale in my area. 33's, locked axles and a disregard for body panels will get you through just about any trail at my local wheeling areas anyway.

bullardbs

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
you can fit 31s with it stock not sure if you can trim enough to fit 33s I had 33s on a stock 85 4x4 ranger with triming

Original_Ranger84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
With fender trimming and a 3" BL you can get 33's under there I bet. Older rangers have small wheel wells. a 93+ ranger I bet you can get 33's under with minimal trimming.

TrikeKid

Reaction score
That's what I'm talkin' about!

I know the BII is pretty close in the back as far as opening the cab when you cut the fenders, would that one have been a major pain to seal back up? Part of the reason (aside from much shorter wheel base) I like the BII is the fact I would actually have a back seat for once.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
i know 30x9.5's fit with little effort and no lift. of course 33's will fit with the help of a torch!
:icon_welder::icon_welder:

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
I have 30 x 9.5's on mine. need to do a spring change in back cause mine sag, but no prob whatsoever

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
That's what I'm talkin' about!

I know the BII is pretty close in the back as far as opening the cab when you cut the fenders, would that one have been a major pain to seal back up? Part of the reason (aside from much shorter wheel base) I like the BII is the fact I would actually have a back seat for once.
I used that expanding yellow foam in a can stuff to reseal the gap on mine ("Great Stuff" I think it's called). I then cut & scraped it smooth inside the fender and shot it with some black spray paint to make it look "in place" if you will. So far it's been good for 4 years now.

TrikeKid

Reaction score
I have 30 x 9.5's on mine. need to do a spring change in back cause mine sag, but no prob whatsoever
I know 30's will fit, but I don't think I could take being on the same tire as the subaru guys around here.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I have a 2" body lift and shims on my springs and the front realigned I think its at least 4"total maybe a little more.The front and back of the fenders trimmed about 1.5 inches wider.Then I was able to fit 10.5 33's which I really like on the b2 good DD and pretty good off road and gets 18MPG with the 4.0.

RBVRager

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002/99/90/84/&
Vehicle
Ford
Probably going to be trading my current Toyota wheeler for a '65 Mustang soon, and I'm selling another car i have to give me the funds to buy another 4wd rig. I'm considering a BII based on the availability, already comes with a good v6 (4 bangers and big tires don't go together), and the fact that TTB rigs never cease to amaze me with their capability even in bone stock form.

A big problem I have with the 'Yota is just how tall it is, I rolled it twice in two months, in situations that really shouldn't have been a problem. Had I been wiser and seen this build when I started on mine, I would have gone a very different direction, spent a great deal less money and had a better wheeling rig. This is 37" MTR's on no lift, same body style as my truck.

Soo, I'm wondering if the same sort of thing is possible on an RBV. I wouldn't go as extreme as that 'runner but there is an abundance of used 33's for sale in my area. 33's, locked axles and a disregard for body panels will get you through just about any trail at my local wheeling areas anyway.
Stick with the stock wheel width & backspacing, cut the fenders, weld-up any holes you make and don't buy it with any engine less than 3L.:icon_welder::icon_welder:

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
and don't buy it with any engine less than 3L.:icon_welder::icon_welder:
That would prevent him from buying a BII altogether, being that the only two engines ever offered in one are the 2.8L and 2.9L (unless he were to find one that's had an engine swap done).

Fortunately the 2.9L is fairly decent if it's geared properly for the tires (4.88 for 33s / 5.13 for 35s).

Explosive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
That must have been some serious fender cutting on the B2 for 35's.

I've got 30/9.50 MTs on mine with no lift or fender cut right now and they rub a little now and then.

Frank The Tank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
98 70
Vehicle
Protege' F100-R
Engine Size
1. sumthing 7.3 gasoline
I'm digging the no lift idea....... to keep from being top heavy on the trail.

I really like this idea.

Really you only have as much clearence as your axles are up (and that means bigger tires)

Frank

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
I rocked 32x11.50 SX's for a while with explorer springs and trimmed front fenders. Pretty low and stable.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Did you guys see fender cutting 101 in the body work section of the tech library?He did a real good job fits 33" tire on still nice and low, low buck and it looks good and you don't have to wear a bag on your head to drive it in front of your friends.One of the things I try to remember is they don't make cars like this anymore because they roll to easy stock. If you park yours next to a stock one even low lift with big tires they get taller fast.

93rangerXLT4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
CopyKat

ya i agree looks good. i have a set of those rims on my s10 right now. the s10 is up for sale but i dont really wanna sell em. i have the stock rims right now for the s10 that i could put on but if the rims (like on your rig) fit on the ranger, i will use the rubber too, but i dont have money to get rubber swapped over right now. then i'd have an extra set of ranger rims laying around which is no big deal.. will those rims fit a 1993 ranger XLT??