•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

m5od swap slave cylinder fitting question

richard booth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now.
Ok, so I am doing an a4ld to m5od swap in an 88 B2 and I have a nice steel braided line from the master to the slave but the trans is a 93 explorer and the slave fitting is different (earlier I believe, the black one), my question is can I get the earlier fitting for the 93 slave cyl? The custom hydraulic place said they have none of the fittings. I already have the 93 slave cylinder and want to use the after market line I got.

ZMan

TOTM Coordinator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford,Jeep
Engine Size
4.0l,3.0l (soon to be 302),5.2l
I went through this a few years ago, I had one for a 93 and needed one for a 92, you're best off just getting the slave cylinder for the right year, then just sell the slave cylinder you have, I sold mine on the classifieds here.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
you're best off just getting the slave cylinder for the right year, then just sell the slave cylinder you have,
Unless the slave you already have is used, in which case the safest place for it is in the trash can.

ZMan

TOTM Coordinator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford,Jeep
Engine Size
4.0l,3.0l (soon to be 302),5.2l
Unless the slave you already have is used, in which case the safest place for it is in the trash can.
Good point, the one I had was installed but not used, got it with a centerforce clutch I had bought on here.

richard booth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now.
But can I just get the fitting? I pushed out the roll pin and pulled out the connector and wonder if I can just swap w an earlier one? Appears to be the same size at the cylinder side, guess I will just have to go get a jy one and see. Thanks for replies.

richard booth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now.
Oh, yea the slave is new, wouldn't do all this w a used one, just hope to use the steel braided line and not have to get a new one.

forgey4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l both
I have an 89 bronco 2 and they gave me a slave for an 94 ranger I ended up getting the line for a 94 and it worked, but I didnt want to tear everything back apart. You can switch the fittings you might just have to get the right part. Just bought an 89 ranger and the guy just put a clutch/slave cylinder in but the fitting is wrong on the slave, unfortunately I have to tear all apart because I have no idea what year of slave is in there. I am going to just change fitting, I still have the old slave from the bronco 2, and its the same fitting

jonboy1225

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I've learned through past experience to always try and match all three components (line, master, slave) to the same year model. The fittings were changed quite a few times, and can be a royal pain to sort out. Did an 84 BII once with an 85 FM145, had to make a hybrid line with a joint in the middle out of desperation. Thing blew apart twice before getting a good solid solution to hold it together.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
The 1988-92 fitting is black
(some 1988-89's were anodized Red)

The 1993-up fitting is a gold/yellow color

The 1993-up slave is plastic
The 1988-92 slave is aluminum

The end of the coupler at the slave cylinder end is different and not compatible

IF you really want to use your aftermarket braided line buy the slave to fit it.

If that slave is the 1988-92 aluminum slave you also need to use a 1983-92 master cylinder