•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

My 1984 Ford Bronco II Project

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score

I've been busy lately and not online as much.

I bought this Bronco II in 2010, painted it, and it has sat in my garage since.

A week or two ago I began working to finally finish it.

I replaced the rear springs with Explorer leafs and 2-inch factory Ranger blocks along with a traction bar.

I relaced the front pivot bushings and radius arm bushings, and reassembled it with Trailmaster suspension brackets and 4-inch springs.

The front spindles were seized to the knuckle, but I eventually got them off, and checked the bearings, cleaned everything back up, and reassembled everything.

New brakes front and rear.

Flushed the front diff and put in new fluid.

Wire wheeled the frame, axles, springs, and coil buckets - and then painted them black.

Replaced the front brake hoses with longer Chevy Suburban hoses.

More to come.

Attachments

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
I like the colors you picked. It's looking great and I wish I had the money to make my B2 look that nice lol . :D

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
I had a steering box with a dropped pitman arm, so I just swapped the box instead of pulling and reinstalling a pitman arm. I broke the metal line trying to remove the drivers side front brake hose, so I had to get a new metal one and bend it up. Today I should have it all back together rolling.

I have (2) transmission issues:

1 - There is a leak where the dipstick tube goes in to the transmission. I apparently didn't get it in right when I did the motor swap.

2 - I topped of the fluid with type F before realizing it was a C5 and not C4, so I have to drain it.

Speaking of the motor swap, it has the 302 I built and put in my old Ranger. I took the motor out of it and stuck it in here. Sounds badass.

3rd Petal

Reaction score
A BII with nice paint, I've noticed that is a bit of a rarity haha. Very nice:icon_thumby:

Does that thing have a body lift too, or do those bumpers just make it look that way?

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
It had a 3-inch body lift on it. I need to raise the bumpers up. I started to remove the front bumper today, but the evil carriage bolts had plans to stick around a while longer.

3rd Petal

Reaction score
Lookin good. What kind of paint did you go with for the frame and suspension parts?

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
I actually used Rust-Oleum Professional Gloss Black Spray Paint for the frame and suspension. I've never been a fan of it before because it takes to long to dry, but this newer stuff is pretty nice and doesn't take long to dry.

3rd Petal

Reaction score
Cool. I've got the same stuff on my sliders right now, it seems to be about the toughest thing you can get out of a fizz can

Kara

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I have paint envy... and runnability envy...

I attempted to remove my bumpers after I did my lift but they remain stubbornly attached. Let me know if an air chisel is the answer.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
I have paint envy... and runnability envy...

I attempted to remove my bumpers after I did my lift but they remain stubbornly attached. Let me know if an air chisel is the answer.
You can try soaking the nuts on them for a couple of days with PB Blaster, and then cranking on them. It could even help if you put Gorilla tape on the heads to keep them from pushing out of the square cutouts and stripping.

Unfortunately, I didn't do any of that and they started spinning in the bumper when I wrenched on them.

I ended up taking duct tape and putting it on each side of the bolt head, and grinding the heads off with a grinder. The tape was to keep me from grinding in to the bumper. It won't keep you from grinding through it, but it will alert you when you get to close.

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
I dig the Blue. I'm going with a similar blue from Monstaliner. I have updated my build on TRS, just not here....

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
I need to get some updated photos.

Got the trim back on, fenders, hood & scoop, new grill and swapped in new front buckets (drivers side is power). Welded in patches in to a few spots in the floor, and bought a new carpet and headliner kit.

JetLady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Looks good, any advice for someone who is looking to remain stock?