•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

My 89 Bronco II Choptop project...

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
subscribed... I just now noticed this thread. Nice work, keep it up. post some pics of the cage

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
subscribed... I just now noticed this thread. Nice work, keep it up. post some pics of the cage
Yay! Someone is interested in following the build! lol

I know I have to get some more pics up, was trying to hold off till I had a significant change I could show. Just haven't really had a lot of time to work on it this year with all that's been going on, I think I've spent more time working on every other vehicle but this one. Not sure it'll make it on the road this year, but I hope to have it back on it's wheels in the near future, I want to get at least the front of the cage in place and welded and get a new windshield in it. The back part of the cage will wait till spring since I want to put it in and promptly get a cover made for the back.

I also have another interesting idea kicking around for the back as well..... I'll share it when I actually get to trying it out to see if it works....

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Oh cmon now, you can't tease us like that.

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Oh cmon now, you can't tease us like that.
Sure I can! :tease:

I'm not sure if I can make it work yet, there's going to be a bit of :icon_confused: and some :icon_welder: going into trying it and I have other things on my plate right now. But fear not, should it look like it's going to work out when I try it, I will post ALL of the details so that others may follow. Since I lack Gwaii's fab skills, you'll just have to wait. :thefinger:

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
So you're going to put a Jag V-12 in with 2 trannys and 3 t cases and make it float????

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Got a little bit of welding done on the one arm, it's about ready to be plated but then the rain moved in. Not having a garage to work in sucks. I have to weld up the other arm yet, plate both, then squirt some paint on 'em and bolt them up. After that it'll just be a matter of getting the U-joints in the shafts and getting everything put back together. I may have to devote some welding and fab time to my plow setup on my F-150, but we'll see how things go.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Subscribed! Good to have another build RBV in Pa.

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
This work thing really sucks sometimes.... but at least it's been buying me a pile of parts for my toys! If I could just get some time, an extra set of hands, and some halfway decent weather (or access to a garage) I could get some stuff done!

Got both arms plated and painted the drivers side one. Passenger side needs the shock tabs still, probably gonna have to stick it on the truck temporarily and get some weight on it before putting the tabs on to make sure they're close to being right.

Aside from that and getting my rims and tires ready to go (35's) I just haven't had time to do anything else to it. Wish there was an aftermarket option for axle shafts for the D-35, if there was something out there already notched for full circle clips I'd probably be inclined to just buy 'em instead of trying to find the time to notch out the shafts I do have - just to get this project back on all four without waiting for half of forever.

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Drivers side is assembled aside from the axle shaft and brake stuff. I also need to come up with an upper spring retainer to use, been trying to get my hands on some F-150 upper coil retainers.

Passenger side is temporarily assembled, need to get the shock in place and tabs welded on so I can paint it and do final assembly.

Most of my free time when it hasn't been ridiculously cold out has been devoted to working on dad's Ranger, the plow on my F-150, the plow on my tractor (had to fabricate some stuff to make it work), or my dog.

Hopefully I'll get some time here to work on things, I'd like to have it back on all four by the end of next month and get started on an engine swap - planning on yanking the 4.0 out of my 88 (the one that I never got around to wiring up) and drop it in my choptop and take the 2.9 out of my choptop and throw it in the 88. It'll simplify my wiring problems and give me a little more power to turn the 35's with, so it seems like the way to go. Of course, while the engines are out I intend to clean 'em up and throw some goodies on.....

RajunCajun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Where did you order your cage from? I'll be doing a chop top this summer, and would like to get a nice cage for it. Love the build man so far. Gives me motivation to start.

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Where did you order your cage from? I'll be doing a chop top this summer, and would like to get a nice cage for it. Love the build man so far. Gives me motivation to start.
I ordered a 10-point cage for a Ranger from Jegs. Just holding up the parts it looks like there is enough extra metal to make it fit pretty decently although I do plan on adding a sort of family bar setup for the back like most Jeeps have and I'll probably change how the tubing is done behind the front seats since I want to be able to crawl through to the back between the front seats. But for the price, the Jegs cage was the way to go, I couldn't buy the steel locally - much less get it bent up - for the price of the cage from Jegs. Of course, there is a bit of welding involved and a little trimming, but I have someone who is neater at welding than myself lined up to put it all together when the weather improves around here.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Glad to see you back working on it again. I'll be watching this

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Glad to see you back working on it again. I'll be watching this
lol, I know, it's been a long road to get this far.... it'd be easier if I had a garage to work on things in then it wouldn't be so dependent on the weather to get things done.

But I'll admit, I have been having fun playing around with dad's Ranger... the 5.0 in it is fun as all get out to drive around in... that is, when it's not acting up...

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Weather permitting, assembly will commence on Friday. Only thing I'm missing right now is a couple castle nuts for the tie rod ends, I should have a handful of 'em but wouldn't you know I can't find one of 'em. Of course, it appears to be a M14x1.5 thread which naturally is not readily available. Other than that, the last of the parts showed up today (I was going to get started this afternoon, but of course between the thundershowers and my dog insisting on taking our usual walk, nothing got done). We've finally started getting some nice weather around here and I'm getting anxious to drive the beast.

2813josh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
I think I used 9/16"-18 for mine,if I remember correctly. Got them at ACE.
$1.79 each,pretty proud of them,I guess.

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
I think I used 9/16"-18 for mine,if I remember correctly. Got them at ACE.
$1.79 each,pretty proud of them,I guess.
I guess it depends on the tie rod end.... I got a new one and thought about just stealing the nut off it for now... seems the new one I got is an SAE thread and the old one on the truck is Metric. Go figure.

Only got to make a little progress between Friday and today, still have to get the U-joints in the shafts, install the shafts and put the outers together. Found another problem in my efforts for assembly, I bought new nuts to use for mounting the spindles... I was extra careful by taking one of the new studs (factory Ford) and testing it, found it was a 3/8"x24 so I bought those. Guess what, the old studs that are still in good shape in the axle are not the same thread....

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L

So I can see that this thing is going to fight me all the way to completion. Spent yesterday afternoon working on it and didn't really make much in the way of progress. Tried getting just the one tie rod end off that I need a nut for and it was too badly seized to the adjusting sleeve. No problem, I picked up a new sleeve just in case (the sleeve came off the inner tie rod just fine, go figure). Pull out the new sleeve and find that..... it's the wrong size. Of course, it's the only one listed too.

Also finished grinding out one of the shafts for full circle clips and decided to squirt a quick coat of paint on it..... which for whatever reason refused to dry - it's probably still tacky out there.

Tried getting my alignment bushings in. I don't have a metric thread chaser so I just filed a notch in the end of the new bolt for the drivers side and figured that since the old one came out the threads shouldn't be too bad, right? Wrongo. Took me half an hour of slowly working it in and out to get it together. Fired up the drill to get rid of the half of a broken bolt in the passenger side and the new bit started walking off course. Got most of the way through before it started getting too bad though so I figured I'd switch to a little smaller bit, center punch the other side and go at it from that direction. Yea..... it started walking right from the start. It's not like I buy cheap drill bits either....

All I want to do is get this project together so I can drive it this summer...