•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

need some performance ideas . . . my '84

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
the 2.8 is horrible as far as acceleration. Hey I know its not going to be fast, but its almost dangerous slow. My '84 had 54K on it when I got it. I tore the heads off and replaced the seals, went with a Durasprak ignition and HEI module. I'm running a jetted 2100 and headers into a y-pipe and 2 1/2 catback. It runs fine, starts easily, runs down the highway as fast as you want to go . . but acceleration is embarrassing. So . . I might end up swapping a 5.0 sometime, I think I can get get as good MPG with a carefully built 302. But . . for now . . what if anything could be wrong? It feels like a locked up TC. I know the C5 had a centrifugal TC . . anyone have experience with them staying locked up? If it was this as the problem, everything would make sense. Ideas??

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Get an Explorer with a 4.0 and whatever tranny u want and put it in there. A decent donor can be found for under a thousand dollars and u'd have everything u need for the swap right there in the donor.

U get a few more horses and some more torque, A d35 and an 8.8, fuel injection better springs, all while keepin the weight down.

Lots of info in tech section

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Don't want fuel injection on this vehicle. Show me a way to put a carb on a 4.0 and I'll listen :) You can even carb a 4.6 now :)

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Might wanna go that route and do a tech article on it. That would be cool to see. I like my fuel injection.

There are several people who swear by their 2.8. Just contact them

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I have no problem with FI, I taught it for many years. I have 5 vehicles with fuel injection now :) I just don't want it on this Bronco II. If the 2.8 people would chime in, I'd be grateful :) My experience with the 2.8 has been in early Fox Mustangs and Pintos . . not sure what a Bronco II should feel like with it I guess.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
I had my 2.8 for more than twelve years, and after ripping out all the computer crap (shortly after buying it) it would perform quite adequetly. It did have a five speed behind it so keeping it in the power band was easier than with an automatic. I was running 33's with 4:10 gears so nothing special in that area. It needs to rev to perform.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Its a 3.45 gear, stock.
switch it out with a 3.73 or a 4.10 and the corresponding speedometer gear.

your problems will be fixed.

the B2 is a heavy truck.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 and carb. That will solve your power problems.

As for the 2.8, its a dog and there isn't much to do about it. The T-bird TBI mod is about the only thing I can think of to squeeze and more power out of it that you haven't already done.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
3.45s and no OD is plenty steep for a street cruiser. My tires are 225/75 . . don't need steeper gears.

Ivy Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
3.45s and no OD is plenty steep for a street cruiser. My tires are 225/75 . . don't need steeper gears.
The Bronco 2 is a lot of truck to try and push around with the old 2.8. I don't think you're going to find any magic bullet other than the ideas mentioned.
Steeper gears will do wonders if you want a little more get up without tearing into the engine. Go to a slightly taller tire so you don't kill your top gear mileage outright or swap in an OD trans. 5 speeds are plentiful.

A truck weighing in at more than 3000lbs with the aerodynamics of a barn and the power of an old VW Golf is not going to do anything quickly.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
A truck weighing in at more than 3000lbs with the aerodynamics of a barn and the power of an old VW Golf is not going to do anything quickly.
I disagree. They sure do go downhill fast.

If you keep up with the brakes they come to a stop durn quick too.

I was just thinking about this though. Does anyone make an aftermarket head for the 2.8 that doesn't use the siamesed exhaust ports? I bet that would unlock a few HP.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Effective final gear ratio is what counts. If you use steeper gears then run a taller tire, you haven't changed anything,nothing. At least as far as gear ratios go. Thats why I stated what I did about the 28.8" tires I have with 3.45 gears. It would be equal to running some 4.10s and 33 " tires, exactly the same.
Anyway . . . I guess what would be good to know is what is the performance of a 2.8 and a C5? Anyone have a 0-60 time, accurate? Then I'd know how mine is performing. Having a benchmark would be good for everyone.