•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

New Bronco Upgrades

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
So a new member comes along asking for a little help keeping his 2.9 engine running and all you can offer is to tell him he owns a piece of crap and should do a motor swap... your not offering the guy any help what so ever... and your rude about it. If your not here to offer anything related to the original post then your just being an annoying troll... yet again.

to the mods- last time I checked this was not a 4L ONLY forum... why do I have to put up with these trolls?

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Just keep it down. Theres no need to argue over it. The OP hasn't made a big deal of it but i'd be annoyed if this became a pissing match between two members.

Both of you have an opinion of it, as well as everyone else but let the OP do what he wants and lets help him out.

No more stirring the pot. Leave the 4.0 vs 2.9 crap alone. Just help him with his problems.

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
So a new member comes along asking for a little help keeping his 2.9 engine running and all you can offer is to tell him he owns a piece of crap and should do a motor swap... your not offering the guy any help what so ever... and your rude about it. If your not here to offer anything related to the original post then your just being an annoying troll... yet again.

to the mods- last time I checked this was not a 4L ONLY forum... why do I have to put up with these trolls?
You are the one trolling dude...

I'm offering the OP the benefit of my expieriences. You are making the big deal . OP hasn't commented since. If he doesn't wanna do ithe doesn't have to. Let the OP tell me off, not sure why you are, but whatever, have a nice day.

I guess we will just agree to disagree.

To the OP, good luck with with whatever you decide.
I know the 2.9's are infamous for having bad oil passages and that is what causes the poor oil to the lifters.

Last edited:

NoahS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I appreciate the help given so far and the opinions given on both sides. As has already been pointed out my original question was about the 2.9 engine in particular but I realize the put a 4.0 comments are trying to help. I have tried to do research on the 4.0l swap and what I had found is that to do it well it was a little more complicated than just bolting it in and doing the wiring. Most recommended a new transmission as the 4.0 would kill the 25 year old transmission that wasn't that great to begin with as well as needing to potentially beef up the front suspension, these aren't things that are impossible, I know that, it is just more work than all the "Just put a 4L in" comments make it out to be

fastpakr

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
For what it's worth, it's quite possible that your '89 has the Mazda trans already (same as the 4.0). The instant way to tell is look underneath and see if it has a removable bottom pan.

lakpierre1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
trailing the 2.9L vs 4.0L contraversy

I have an 88 b2 with auto tranny. might look into the 4.0L swap in the future. prev owner just had the tranny rebuilt with all new parts, bands, pump, tq converter, but the front seal is leaking bad. so i recieved this problem, and plan to fix it. I can tackle the project, but limited tools would cause me to have a weekend job, and busted knuckles, so i have a friend with a profes mechanic shop that will do the job for less than i can work all weekend. says the engine was rebuilt 6k miles ago. so can i tell if i have the better tranny or do i need to start keeping a lookout for a better tranny? thanks for any info!!!

werx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Isn't there a solvent, or some treatment you can get at the parts store that might help those lifters? Also, can't lifters be taken out and cleaned up instead of buying new ones?

I just bought a 89 B2.....I'm feeling depressed after reading this thread.....:popcorn: