•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

New guy with fuel problems...

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Just picked up a '89 Bronco II, 4wd, 2.9...

Kid I bought it from chopped the exhaust pipe, causing the fuel pump connection to get melted, I think this fried the pump as well but I'm brand new to Fords, so Here's my situation...

I have the one pump system and I've fabbed my own connections from the old harness to the still existing connecting pins. When I turn the key, I hear the pump prime, but no fuel up to the rail. When I depress the schrader valve, all I hear is air. I removed the inbound line into the fuel filter and a little fuel squirts out upon priming, but it's only about enough to fill a bottle cap.

Is my pump bad? If so, are there viable workable replacements other than the $120 option from the Zone? i.e. Rangers, Explorers, etc?

Secondly, when the harness was melted, the hardline plastic locking fittings normally found at the in/out connections at the tank must've been destroyed and couplers have been put in place connecting the hardlines to standard rubber fuel hose and clamped in. There's no visible leaking fuel, could these connections be my problem rather than the pump, or are they just contributing to an already sorry situation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!:icon_thumby:

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Reverse the wires and see what happens.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yeah I was talking about the wires going to the pump. Is it possible that it is hooked up backwards that the pump is running in reverse.

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
It's possible, it is a DC motor, but improbable. I'll switch the wires and try it out.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
It is worth a try as you did say that the pump was running but had no fuel at the fuel rail.

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
You can run a hot wire to the pink wire and get it to push fuel.

Are you sure the two fuel lines are hooked up correctly?

is your fuel filter on the frame rail clogged?

Have you checked your fuel pump and ecm Relays?

Have you checked the inertia switch under the dash?

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
You can run a hot wire to the pink wire and get it to push fuel.

Are you sure the two fuel lines are hooked up correctly?

is your fuel filter on the frame rail clogged?

Have you checked your fuel pump and ecm Relays?

Have you checked the inertia switch under the dash?
I've traced the line from the tank output tube down to the filter, so I'm fairly certain that's right.

I've replaced the filter with a new one.

I've checked them the best I know how by following an online guide, they seem to be working, I can hear them clicking on and what not while the pump is priming.

The Inertia switch has not been tripped, I've currently got the connection jumper wired bypassing the switch during this problem solving task.

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
You can run a hot wire to the pink wire and get it to push fuel. QUOTE]

A constant 12V to the pink wire fitting will make the pump run consistently, but I'm under the impression that if the pump is working at 100%, it will push fuel all the way to the rail during the priming cycle.

Is it more likey that I'll have to run the pump continously until I get fuel at the rail and then the pump will always keep pressure in the line? kind of like bleeding air from a brake line?

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Yes it'll be a constant 12 V, but it'll tell you if you are getting fuel to the rail or a plugged line or something.

Stupid question, but did you install the filter the right direction? No offense.

glackey88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
you might have a rubber line collapsed inside.i would toke lines off at pump and up at motor and blow air thru them and see if you get air out at both ends

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Good news.

I applied 12v to the lead while my buddy held the schrader valve open, and then we applied vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator via handpump. I manually ran the pump until he had fuel come out of the valve, then we released the vacuum, reconnected the line to the manifold, and it fired up and ran strong. Shut it down, waited for 10 minutes and retried it, and it fired up again. Just like bleeding a brake line, I had to get the air out of the line.

Thanks for everyone's help, but I think we're good....

for now.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Stupid question, but did you install the filter the right direction? No offense.
You know that is not as dumb a question as it sounds.

I used to work with a guy who took a perfectly running car, looked at it for inspection, and said "I think your fuel filter is on backwards". He turned it around, and sent it down the road. Guy brought it back two days later saying "I don't think it is running quite right".

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
You know that is not as dumb a question as it sounds.

I used to work with a guy who took a perfectly running car, looked at it for inspection, and said "I think your fuel filter is on backwards". He turned it around, and sent it down the road. Guy brought it back two days later saying "I don't think it is running quite right".

:icon_rofl:

Sounds like a guy everyone in the neighboorhood used to know who changed a customers tire at the corner service station he worked at, and as the customer pulled away, the wheel popped right off and went rolling on while the car skidded to a stop. The guy, who's name was Lee Racer, (No joke) went chasing the tire down a major street in Phoenix, while people just stopped and watched. The best part is, that he was yelling STOP!! while chasing it. It was solid gold.:shok: