•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Official A4LD Problem Thread!

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
I have a 1987 Ford ranger STX 4X4 Extended Cab that has a A4LD My problem is I have NO Gears except Neutral I had My great uncle Bob Chandler run a dianostics test and I found out the clutch is shot And the bands are broke Now I got a hold of a transmission guy Names John Evans Over at a private garage in Leadwood Mo He said he can rebuild it for $700 And up I found a FULL Rebuild kit at O'Reilly Auto Parts part number (FOA4LD) They want $1,837 And a $100 Core charge Now heres the problem I CANT Afford that And they said there IS Another kit out there I went to Auto Zone They have a kit for $300 $50 Core Charge OR I can pay $1,420 for a new transmission That has a 3 year warranty $400 Core Charge But I want to keep my Original Transmission The truck has 57,701.9 Original Miles The transmission Was rebuilt by Ford Motor Co. back in 06 But they only replaced the bands and the Over Drive gear My question is How hard is it to rebuild my OWN Transmission And what tools Ill need Im wanting to rebuild my OWN Stuff instead of paying people $1,000s of dollars for work

Check out the tech forums, they have all the info you will ever need, and also any special tools that might be needed.

I have taken a few of these trans apart, and really didn't need any special tools.

Robert

sent from the back side of heaven.

91rangercustom4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have a 1991 Ford Ranger with an A4LD that was sitting for 2 years i just put a new motor in, the tranny worked before i had stored it and now it wont shift from first to second without manully doing so. Also wont shift out of second into third when put into drive fluid level is normal. Any Ideas?

mihulka3

Reaction score
Same exact scenario yesterday coming home with an empty 6x10 single axle trailer and 90F outside temp. Going to add tranny fluid today and go for a drive. Will see if it just blew out or front seal jacked?

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
I have a 1991 Ford Ranger with an A4LD that was sitting for 2 years i just put a new motor in, the tranny worked before i had stored it and now it wont shift from first to second without manully doing so. Also wont shift out of second into third when put into drive fluid level is normal. Any Ideas?
It's hard for one to sit that long, stuff starts to get sticky, the servos on the side can be easily be removed and cleaned, that might help.

also go ahead and do a trans fluid and filter change, that also should help, be sure to blow all the fluid out of the trans lines and cooler.

Robert

Posted from somewhere, doing something, and going somewhere else.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Same exact scenario yesterday coming home with an empty 6x10 single axle trailer and 90F outside temp. Going to add tranny fluid today and go for a drive. Will see if it just blew out or front seal jacked?

Whats the same exact scenario ?!?!

Robert

posted with out tapa talk and without a cell phone.

hidesertrat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l
I have a 1987 Ford ranger STX 4X4 Extended Cab that has a A4LD My problem is I have NO Gears except Neutral I had My great uncle Bob Chandler run a dianostics test and I found out the clutch is shot And the bands are broke Now I got a hold of a transmission guy Names John Evans Over at a private garage in Leadwood Mo He said he can rebuild it for $700 And up I found a FULL Rebuild kit at O'Reilly Auto Parts part number (FOA4LD) They want $1,837 And a $100 Core charge Now heres the problem I CANT Afford that And they said there IS Another kit out there I went to Auto Zone They have a kit for $300 $50 Core Charge OR I can pay $1,420 for a new transmission That has a 3 year warranty $400 Core Charge But I want to keep my Original Transmission The truck has 57,701.9 Original Miles The transmission Was rebuilt by Ford Motor Co. back in 06 But they only replaced the bands and the Over Drive gear My question is How hard is it to rebuild my OWN Transmission And what tools Ill need Im wanting to rebuild my OWN Stuff instead of paying people $1,000s of dollars for work
What did you do? I am in the same boat now, looking at doing the rebuild myself. Automatic transmissions seem to have that "Oh crap, do I really want to do this?" feeeling about them!! :sad:
I found this kit: http://www.onlinetransmissionparts.com/servlet/the-42/HD-Upgrade-Package-for/Detail

Not sure about it, I don't need the cooler, already have one. Any suggestions out there on these older tranys? What is the best approach? :dunno:

stealhorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
a4ld lost all gears for a moment then fine again

Hi I was hoping someone can shed some light on this problem. I was wheeling it all day, then before I decided to go back home, I tried climbing this ten foot tall steep incline just like I did earlier a couple times I went half way up then back down for a moment then went up again then all of a sudden the tran. let loose like I put it in nuetral. No revers or forward gear. So I turn it off real quick after backing down the incline and testing the gears like I said. I looked under the truck and the linkage seemed to work properly. I didn't notice any leaks. So I fired it back up on level ground and it shifted fine in all gears, and I drove back home fine. I have a trans temp sensor and external cooler. It said it was normal temp. So. I hope someone might be able to give me some possibilities on the problem. It seemed to have something to do with the incline, but it didn't do that all the other times I was climbing up stuff that day, but it was one of the steepest. I thank anyone who replies in advance.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Hi I was hoping someone can shed some light on this problem. I was wheeling it all day, then before I decided to go back home, I tried climbing this ten foot tall steep incline just like I did earlier a couple times I went half way up then back down for a moment then went up again then all of a sudden the tran. let loose like I put it in nuetral. No revers or forward gear. So I turn it off real quick after backing down the incline and testing the gears like I said. I looked under the truck and the linkage seemed to work properly. I didn't notice any leaks. So I fired it back up on level ground and it shifted fine in all gears, and I drove back home fine. I have a trans temp sensor and external cooler. It said it was normal temp. So. I hope someone might be able to give me some possibilities on the problem. It seemed to have something to do with the incline, but it didn't do that all the other times I was climbing up stuff that day, but it was one of the steepest. I thank anyone who replies in advance.

Sounds like you lost pressure when you did the incline, make sure your trans fluid is at it's proper level.

Robert

sent with a box a crackers and a milky way.

morbid1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
a4ld

I have a 94 explorer with 138000 miles the transmission just started not shifting when put in drive or overdrive only goes about 25 till it gets warmed up then its fine i can manually shift from first and second but not drive or overdrive till warm then it shifts smooth i have already replaced filter, fluid, vacuum modulator, tps sensor air idle control plugs wires and upper intake manifold gasket can this possible be the shift solenoid or maybe valve body gasket

m-kay69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
A4LD trannie problems!

i bought an 1989 ford ranger XLT, 4x4 2.9 and i love the truck it's tough and usually simple to fix. about a year ago i was doing donuts in the winter on some ice and my over drive stopped working when i came to a complete stop. i changed the ATF/filter and looked for any wear and stuff like that when i had the pan off. i understand vehicles, just not so good with trannies. every other gear works perfectly fine, shifts when it's supposed to. under load everything works great. there is no loss of ATF. i am confused on what i could do to fix the problem. from reading these threads i am assuming that it is either the band of the solinoide itself. any help would be greatly appreciated. :buttkick:

JSerr5130

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have a 1994 Ranger ext.cab.3.0 w/ A4LD . Mileage is taking it's toll on the engine(200K). The tranny has had a filter and oil change and constantly slips . Just wandering if there's any other tranny that will fit in it's place?(auto)

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
I have a 1994 Ranger ext.cab.3.0 w/ A4LD . Mileage is taking it's toll on the engine(200K). The tranny has had a filter and oil change and constantly slips . Just wandering if there's any other tranny that will fit in it's place?(auto)
Nope, not unless you want to go to a 5 speed manual.

Robert

posted with a broken arrow and a jar of jelly beans.

BrucesBlack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
Engine Size
Nope, not unless you want to go to a 5 speed manual.

Robert

posted with a broken arrow and a jar of jelly beans.

Actually There is a Trans that Bolts in , But you would need to do Wiring and Some other Modifications to make it work , To save you some Time I will Post a Link to the Full Thread Here . http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308447 .

This Guy Knows His Auto Transmissions , He Has Helped me And countless others on the Explorer forum ! .

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Actually There is a Trans that Bolts in , But you would need to do Wiring and Some other Modifications to make it work , To save you some Time I will Post a Link to the Full Thread Here . http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308447 .

This Guy Knows His Auto Transmissions , He Has Helped me And countless others on the Explorer forum ! .
Now that is a very good read, I wonder if this would work in a 2gen BroncoII?!?

Robert

posted by a black bird and his merry band.

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
Now that is a very good read, I wonder if this would work in a 2gen BroncoII?!?

Robert

posted by a black bird and his merry band.
The 5R55E is still technically an a4ld. They just keep updating bits inside as time went on. There are several articles and threads guiding you on how to make a Hodge podge tranny using bits from a couple of the different variations.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

BrucesBlack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
Engine Size
If it was Still an A4ld It would be Called an A4ld not a 5r55e or 4r . They Upgraded them for a reason and The Reasons show with the people that treat there Trans right ! .

1991fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
what other alternatives do i have other than a a4ld? im talking like a direct bolt in replacement.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
what other alternatives do i have other than a a4ld? im talking like a direct bolt in replacement.
As far as I know, there isn't one. only other thing you could do is swap in a 5 speed manual, and that isn't quite a easy and quick job.

The other post that had the link to the 5r55e of what ever it was, is the only other option.

I would love to be able to put a C6 or something like that in my little BroncoII, but......oh well

Robert

posted by Bender and Flex'O.

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L