•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Official A4LD Problem Thread!

sledneck07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Been manually shifting for now and been doing good, if I shift to drive too soon it will rev up like it hit neural, drop back to second and grabs right away then I can get drive

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Good (in a way). Sounds like you also just have a stuck governor. See if cleaning helps. If your fluid is as dirty as mine, It could be causing it to stick.

If youre brave enough, go for replacing the fluid and filter.

sledneck07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
I'll do fluid and filter, did it about 50,000 ago when I got the trans and it had about 125000 on it and she's still going strong except the hopefully sticking governor

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Good. I have no idea how old my fluid is. I've had the truck for about 60k and it was dirty then. It's got almost 200k on it now and I got it at 130k.

You might still have to go in there and clean up the governor but at least you know the governor and fluid change will help....For what it's worth, I'd look into getting a 35mm weight for the governor. Just google A4ld Governor 35mm weight and it'll come up. its about 8 bucks and it'll unseat the governor if it ever gets stuck again. The bigger weight helps keeping binding at a minimum anyway.

sledneck07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Ok I'll look into that thanks for the tip

sledneck07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Well turns out my feeling that someone else was in my tranny before I got it was right. The gov valve is not there just the spring and counter weight are there. Guess it's looking like ordering a new valve

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
You'll find that there are a few Gov valve styles out there. Mine only had 1 groove so you're should also be a one groove Gov.

sledneck07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Where did you find it? I've looked for over an hour and haven't found one yet

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Sonnax Part Numbers are below. I got mine from wtttrans.com

U56680A Governor, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .385OD) (Valve Has 1 Groove).

U56680AA Governor, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .385OD) (Valve Has 2 Grooves).

U56680AB Governor, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .385OD) (Valve Has 3 Grooves) .

U56680B Governor, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .326OD) 1990-95 3.0L.

U56680C Governor, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .314OD) (Valve Has 1 Groove).

U56680CA Governor, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .314OD) (Valve Has No Groove).

D56681-1 Governor Body, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .314OD) 2.3L 1989-90.

S56681-4B Governor Weight, A4LD (35mm OD).

The items i bought were in bold. You should check your parts before you buy to make sure you're right.

ravingracer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have a 94 B4000 with the A4LD, and the torque converter is staying locked all the time when in 3rd and OD, when coming to a stop it bogs the engine down a lot, until it shifts down to second. I am trying to figure out where to start the troubleshooting. Any ideas?

UPDATE 1/28: Problem fixed! I found a wiring schematic for the 3-4 shift solenoid and TC lockup solenoid, and tested wiring. It was getting a constant ground. I disconnected the computer and the plug on the trans, and tested the wire. It was grounded, so there was a short in the harness. I ran new wiring to it, problem solved!

Last edited:

westchase19

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have a 92 ranger with a 4.0 engine has like 191k miles but last year i put a used a4ld(113k miles) in it because the other one was giving me problems. When i switched trannys I flushed the fluids, put new in, new filter, and a new modulator valve. The transmission shifts good most of the time. The only problem I have is when im getting in the throttle hard like say getting on the interstate or something if im in 1st gear when it shifts to second it doesnt feel like a normal shift. It more or less..Umm. Fades, into 2nd gear, Now there is no high rev, no stall no hard shift when it does engage. It just, feels like a manual transmission shift. just takes a second to go into gear. Was wondering if the problem might be where i didnt adjust the mod valve when i put it in? Anyone else have this problem or know what i could do to fix it? thanks!!!

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
I have a 94 B4000 with the A4LD, and the torque converter is staying locked all the time when in 3rd and OD, when coming to a stop it bogs the engine down a lot, until it shifts down to second. I am trying to figure out where to start the troubleshooting. Any ideas?
This could be either a sticking valve, or believe it or not a computer problem.

I would try changing the fluids and filter, just be sure to try and blow out the trans cooling lines, then go from there

Robert

posted with a picture of a snowy fence, and a warm blanket.

sledneck07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Got my governer now just gotta get time to throw it in

BAYNE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
i think i have a a4ld trans

alright i bought this 1984 ranger 2wd. it has a 2.9v6 which wasnt offered in 84... it has 1-2-D-OD... so 4 speed.. how do you know if its an A4LD.. my problem is when im on the interstate it shifts back and forth out of OD (slipping) and when you press the gas hard there is a horrible chatter noise... guys at work are saying just do a trans flush and change the filter ... the fluid on the dip stick looks brand new....any help would be great

Last edited:

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
alright i bought this 1984 ranger 2wd. it has a 2.9v6 which wasnt offered in 84... it has 1-2-D-OD... so 4 speed.. how do you know if its an A4LD.. my problem is when im on the interstate it shifts back and forth out of OD (slipping) and when you press the gas hard there is a horrible chatter noise... guys at work are saying just do a trans flush and change the filter ... the fluid on the dip stick looks brand new....any help would be great
As far as I know, the only trans that would bolt up to a 2.9 and have overdrive is the A4LD, IF it didn't have overdrive it could be a c5.

I would do the trans flush and filter change first, it's cheap and quick.

Robert

posted with a number 8 and the color green.

BAYNE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
thanks ill try that first then... the truck does great off the interstate... idk... im in the process of building a winch mount and brush guard for the front so i will get to the trans after and let you guys know if it fixes the slipping

westchase19

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I had an a4ld that would slip in OD as soon as you hit 55 mph so for a year i drove it just in D but i got some time and changed the fluid, and filter and added lucas stop slip and it fixed the slipping.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
I had an a4ld that would slip in OD as soon as you hit 55 mph so for a year i drove it just in D but i got some time and changed the fluid, and filter and added lucas stop slip and it fixed the slipping.
Yep, just changing the filter and fluid can really help a auto transmission, since it is the one item that never gets service till it mess's up, I have gotten to where I change the filter and fluid in mine every 4th oil change.

Robert

posted with a etch-a-sketch, and a post'it note.

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
and I still worry if I should change mine or not. Given it's age and all...Then again, over the years, I've definitely added about 6 quarts of new fluid to it.

I should really change my fluid. I'm starting to warm up to the idea of it (even if it makes me nervous).

whatsyurprob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Slipping!!!

I have problems. I have a a4ld in a 2.9 4x4 that has 205k on it. I have some paperwork that it had a rebuilt kit done to it by a shop back about 100k. Cost em $1,200.00. Anyway, it leaks at the linkage shifter. The rubber seal in the bore. A real BITCH to get to. There's a steel pin there. The Ford Shop Manual for this truck says to use dikes, no chit. I went with trying to smack it a few times with an 1/8 punch on either side of it, (gotta be careful though). Can't get it off. The dikes just eat into the steel. Starting to tear it up. I stopped. So, I decided to go with some Lucas Oil. Bad decision. Since i couldn't get the pin out there was no need to drop the valve body. I was going to put a jr. shift kit in it from Transgo (I noticed it was starting to shift a little hard). I put the pan back on, new Valvoline ATF, a bottle of Lucas, and now it slips every time I accelerate suddenly. It will also slip when going uphill if I have to give it more pedal. Kinda depends on how steep the hill is. Then again even on flat road, if I put my foot in it, major slip. It will actually slam into gear after about 2-3 seconds if I keep my foot on the gas. I don't. Did once to see. . . no more. Now, I'm really thinking about getting a rebuilt a4ld from a guy in N.J. http://tomsrivertransmissions.com/id22.html Any kind of guidance would be appreciated. I'm new at this.