•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Picked up a 1990 Bronco II XLT over the weekend

holeshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I got an awesome deal on this one. Bought it for a parts vehicle for my 86, but when I saw it in person...I decided to make this a new project.

An older couple owned it for years and hauled it behind their RV. I bought it from the second owner and it had been sitting since 2006 because the tranny went bad.

Theres a little rust on the hood.

Interior is pretty much flawless!!

more exterior shots:

Dana 35

Will this rust be a major issue on the front end components??

Here is my 86 that is in desperate need of body work (which is what I bought the 90 for)

My plan was to use the 90 for parts...but since it is in such good shape I plan on swapping the drivetrain over. I would like to eventually put a 4" suspension lift on the 90 and run some 31X10.5's (not sure on the wheels yet).

You guys have any thoughts??

alabama0redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
i swap the 86 wheels to the 90 first off i kinda like the 86 rim better and fix the trans and have a pretty nice rig

DRanger024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
The only time the rust on the suspension components will be an issue is when you want to take anything apart up there. Other than that it will be fine. How do the break lines look?

holeshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The only time the rust on the suspension components will be an issue is when you want to take anything apart up there. Other than that it will be fine. How do the break lines look?
They are the same way. Surface rust pretty bad. For sitting idle that many years outside (and i live in the rust belt)...i guess that is expected.

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
not a bad deal, looks clean

holeshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
not a bad deal, looks clean
Yeah, for $500 I think I did pretty good! The guy jumped it and it fired right up and he drove it up on my trailer. Purred like a kitten. (Although he had to put it in 4WD to get it to move). Not sure if the rear end is shot, or if something in the transfer case is broken...but the rear wheels have no power getting to them. I cant get it to run now, but I suspect its the 3 year old gas in the tank! I am surprised it even ran before.

There is a really nice Pioneer head unit and Pioneer speakers installed and it sounds really good!

Duke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
What a great deal! I'd get the mirrors off of the 86, and I agree with alabama0redneck that the tires should come off of the 86 too.

CJREX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
You've got the D35 and a manual t-case so you have the highly sought after manual 1354 case.

Looks like it may have manual hubs to boot.

Swap the A4LD for an M5OD, the 7.5 for an 8.8 and you have a solid drivetrain.

Plus...

A 4.0 is basically plug-and-play in a '90 BII.

That truck has TONS 'o potential.

Great Score! :icon_thumby:

alabama0redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
i have always like they look of the older bronco 2 rims

windsordeath

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Yeah, consider the 86' to either be sold or if you just HAVE to..Use the parts for your 90' But other than that don't part the 90'...Sweet score!

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Yeah, for $500 I think I did pretty good! The guy jumped it and it fired right up and he drove it up on my trailer. Purred like a kitten. (Although he had to put it in 4WD to get it to move). Not sure if the rear end is shot, or if something in the transfer case is broken...but the rear wheels have no power getting to them. I cant get it to run now, but I suspect its the 3 year old gas in the tank! I am surprised it even ran before.

There is a really nice Pioneer head unit and Pioneer speakers installed and it sounds really good!
Rear dual-CV driveshaft is shot (very common problem)

holeshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Rear dual-CV driveshaft is shot (very common problem)
I climbed underneath and tried to spin the rear driveshaft and it is very tight and I cant rotate it. If it was shot, would you be able to spin it??

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Not necessarily...

Have someone look under there as you try to drive it in 2WD. Chances are good you'll find one end of it just spinning in it's socket.

IlovemybroncII

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Chev
For
Engine Size
350/2.9/2.9
Great deal wire brush the rust off repaint and grease everything and i would change brake line and spray a ton of cable lube in e brakes most definately part out the 86 or sell it to another bronc lover and give him or her a great deal as they say pass it on i agree change the rims have no advise on drive problems you just have to get in there and look i also have a 90 and have chopped mine just waiting to get a little money and finish it keep us updated on the new project and have lots of fun with it

holeshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Not necessarily...

Have someone look under there as you try to drive it in 2WD. Chances are good you'll find one end of it just spinning in it's socket.
You were right man! I just couldnt check anything until I got it running again. First thing I did was drain the fuel out of the tank. Then I put a couple fresh gallons in and used a little starting fluid in the intake and she fired right up!!!

I made sure it was in 2wd and then put it in drive and as I figured....nothing. I had the front end chalked up, so I climbed out while it was still in gear and sure enough...the rear driveshaft was just spinning away! Looks like the CV joint at the rear end failed. I had one go out on my 86 a few years ago, but it never did this...it just came apart!!

I am gonna swap out the one from my 86 to see how it drives. I did a little test run up and down the road in 4WD (except only the front wheels were the drive wheels) and it shifted just fine.

So i think the guy I bought it off of just assumed it was the tranny and thats why he parked it.

I'm not sure if it was wise to run it without changing the oil or any other fluids after sitting so long....but I did notice a knocking noise (hopefully its just lifters ticking)

Last edited:

holeshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Great deal wire brush the rust off repaint and grease everything and i would change brake line and spray a ton of cable lube in e brakes most definately part out the 86 or sell it to another bronc lover and give him or her a great deal as they say pass it on i agree change the rims have no advise on drive problems you just have to get in there and look i also have a 90 and have chopped mine just waiting to get a little money and finish it keep us updated on the new project and have lots of fun with it
Thanks man! I dont know if I will chop this one...but now that I got it running again, maybe I can chop the 86!

crawlin91

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
awesome truck. nice clean body on that one

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
You were right man! I just couldnt check anything until I got it running again. First thing I did was drain the fuel out of the tank. Then I put a couple fresh gallons in and used a little starting fluid in the intake and she fired right up!!!

I made sure it was in 2wd and then put it in drive and as I figured....nothing. I had the front end chalked up, so I climbed out while it was still in gear and sure enough...the rear driveshaft was just spinning away! Looks like the CV joint at the rear end failed. I had one go out on my 86 a few years ago, but it never did this...it just came apart!!

I am gonna swap out the one from my 86 to see how it drives. I did a little test run up and down the road in 4WD (except only the front wheels were the drive wheels) and it shifted just fine.

So i think the guy I bought it off of just assumed it was the tranny and thats why he parked it.

I'm not sure if it was wise to run it without changing the oil or any other fluids after sitting so long....but I did notice a knocking noise (hopefully its just lifters ticking)
Cool deal you found the problem. :icon_thumby:

When I bought my '90 back in '04 it too was making a clickety-clackety sound on acceleration, so it was only a matter of time. I swapped it out using a double-cardan front driveshaft from a '92 Explorer (you'll need to shorten it 2" to fit the rear of a '90, also you'll need to swap the t-case flange for a yoke).

I doubt driving yours that little bit with the old fluids caused any immediate damage, but I would still change them ASAP.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
very good deal. Im starting to look for another 2nd gen and get rid of my 88 here pretty soon.

holeshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Cool deal you found the problem. :icon_thumby:

When I bought my '90 back in '04 it too was making a clickety-clackety sound on acceleration, so it was only a matter of time. I swapped it out using a double-cardan front driveshaft from a '92 Explorer (you'll need to shorten it 2" to fit the rear of a '90, also you'll need to swap the t-case flange for a yoke).

I doubt driving yours that little bit with the old fluids caused any immediate damage, but I would still change them ASAP.
I found some sites that offer a direct bolt in replacement using u-joints...but they are in the $300 range. but, I guess for what i paid for the entire Bronco, the $300 might be a good investment. I was gonna swap out the driveshaft from my 86, but its so rusted I cant even budge the bolts. I am afraid I will snap the heads off.

If I plan on doing like a 4" suspension lift on the 90, will I need to get a different driveshaft (longer)?

By the way, I put some of that chevron techron fuel system cleaner and some lucas oil octane boost and topped it off with some 93 octane....man that made a huge difference! I am gonna run that out, then change the fuel filter, etc, then repeat.

I noticed a big exhaust leak at the passenger side manifold. Cant tell if its at the head or what. Do they make headers for 2.9's???