•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Project Dirty White Boy

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Are you going to be changing the Ac box, I'm doing about the same thing on the dash, but it's a 92 Explorer dash going into a 88 Ranger, I heard/read some where on here that the firewall needs a huge hole cut in to it.

I haven't got the Ac unit out of the Explorer yet so I don't know if it's true or not.

Robert

kroussinoffroad

October 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ferd
Engine Size
up here there isnt much need for A/C. when it's that nice out were typically on the bike's. wheelin is mostly a spring and fall thing. as far as the whole it sounds like we will need to enlarger the hole for the steering. we will need to drill a couple hole's as we will be swappin out for a manual trans as well. we are planin on extending the wire's for the computer and making a mount for it up under the dash. we are gonna run the as much of the ranger harness as possiable. but some splicing will be necissary.

kroussinoffroad

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ferd
Engine Size
I checked out your build page last night. while searching for some info i stumbled accross it.

Update:
the motor is out all the suspension is stripped and the cab and frame is sittin on a trailer to be hauled to the scrappy tomorrow. it turns out the lift on the ranger is a 6'' lift. We are debating cuttin the coil's or running a set of jeep coil's we have in the garage. it is too tall the way it sit's right now.
When people see it there first thought is WOW it look's tall there second thought is WOW look's tippy, and there right as we had the close encounter last weekend. we would just take the BL off but unfortunately we built the front bumper to compensate for the lift. I have thought about refabbin the bumper so we could take it off but i have a feeling the BL is gonna come in handy when we do the motor swap

Do I have to take picture's to prove that it's "COMPLETELY" gutted ?

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Do I have to take picture's to prove that it's "COMPLETELY" gutted ?
YES, pictures, and more pictures, and when you think you have enough pictures, post more pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures, we all like pictures.:icon_rofl:

Robert

kroussinoffroad

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ferd
Engine Size
Big ol pile of ranger .
Just to make thing's official.

\/ Gotta love the SWEET wiring job on the cab light's \/

kroussinoffroad

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ferd
Engine Size
so we got the truck sittin level now and we ran into an issue.

First off the lift kit uses the plate style drop bracket, which i know is frowned upon but hey it work's. But now that the front is sittin level with the rear. when you go over large whoop's with any speed the center yoke (middle axle joint) come's in contact with the drop bracket. more specifically the bolt's for the center drop bracket. we have tried maxxing out the flex and cant seem to get it close but it is most definately when the front is compressed hard. not sure what we are going to do to remedy this but if it's and issue now im sure it will be magnafied when the 35 is swapped in. Not like the truck will be runnin the BAJA or anything we may just have to move the bumpstop's down significantly to keep them from interfering with eachother.

Last edited:

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
That is what I did, made lower bump stops and cleared the drop for the diff. Worked good! I could jump mine and not worry.

kroussinoffroad

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ferd
Engine Size
workin on the 4.0 swap as of right now. the motor, trans, xcase are all bolted in along with minor item's (shifter,throttle cable, etc.) workin on the electrical end and what a PITA. using a ranger for a donor may have been a bad idea (everything is flip floped) but we will get it runnin shortly. goin through the process of swapin the interior and splicing wire's to shorten/ lengthen wire's will post picture's shortly.

And it now has some sweet flame's painted on the hood.

next will be to swap the waggy d44 (runnnin leaf's)
and a chev 10 bolt. but that's not needed right now jsut before spring time

kroussinoffroad

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ferd
Engine Size
picture's as promissed

gettin ready to yank the old out

swapin the new in

the upgraded interior. planing on taking the dash back out a sprayin it with ruberized undercoating, the paint is not turnin out that well.

and the hood painted up. after the hood get's bolted back on the same schem will continue down onto the front fender's, not too bad for two can's of
spray paint, some tape and an hour of time.i just wish i could say that i did it.

rngr4x4beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
dam hood looks sweet that 4.0 will be beast in that thng

89PBR96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The hood looks very uniform almost like you could fold it in half and the flames would match up

kroussinoffroad

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ferd
Engine Size
hopefully we can power the 4.0 up today and crank it over. dont think we will be able to fire it up yet (fuel lines) but it will be nice to at least hear it crank.

kroussinoffroad

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ferd
Engine Size
IT RUN'S !!!

All i have to say is what a P.I.T.A.
seemed like we had everything going against us on this swap and had about the two worst candidates for the swap

an 84 B2 with no fuel pump and no mean's for a fuel pump.
and a ranger that has all the engine control's on the opposite side of the engine bay.

there is still alot to button up
mount the computer in the custom waterproff box, move and remount the power distribution block, drill and mount the crossmember, make lower radiator mount's, adapt to windstar air filter housing(only one we could find that fit under the hood), finish off interior , shorten rear driveshaft. among alot of other stuff we decided to address at this time as well hopefully we will have it driving mid week next week.

and picture's will be posted tomorrow as it is way past my bedtime

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Wish I was able to do the 4.0 swap but Im tired of wiring for EFI. When I get my dads truck, the engine is going into mine along with my new headers and his is getting a diesel.

kroussinoffroad

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ferd
Engine Size
if we would have been able to find an explorer for this swap. it would have made life a whole lot easier. but in the end it wont matter. running the wire's was one of the easy (but time consuming) part's everything was pretty straight forward except for mounting everything and making room for everything. the modified gas tank turned out pretty good as well. we did this whole swap with the thought of when part's need to be replace or serviced in the future we wanted it to be easy to find replacements and easy to service them.

thing's will be a little cramped around the master cylinder but will still be easy to work on.

dirtycoupe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Freakin awesome really want a broncoII can't wait for some action shots of this thing

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If you use Valspar flat black (can get it at lowes) on the vinyl parts, its the perfect color, its more of a semi-gloss/semi-flat color, and bonds well with the vinyl.

kroussinoffroad

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ferd
Engine Size
YEP the valspar is at Tractor Supply as well.

the interior will do for now tho

kroussinoffroad

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ferd
Engine Size
we have to pull the dash away from the winshield anyhow(havin it resealed) maybe we can tarp everything off and give it another shot. hoping to be able to get some snowy action shot's by as early as sunday. most likely next weekend for the action shot's tho.