•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Project Dirty White Boy

kroussinoffroad

October 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ferd
Engine Size
as promised here are some pic's 1 of the motor sittin in place. and a couple of the modified factory fuel tank. utilizing a factory fuel pump and sending unit (94 ranger)
this may have been one of the hardest part's of the swap. everything else was just time consuming this is the only thing that acctually took some figuring out. tonight the rear should be all tied up just have to mount the skid plate and vent the battery box (mounted in rear cargo area)

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
I would have found a BII with a 2.9 in it and used its fuel tank with pumps.

Looks good so far.

kroussinoffroad

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ferd
Engine Size
we were almost to that point. but this work's. if we had to build it again it would be alot easier. hoping to be able to get the exhaust hooked up and be able to run it for a little bit

kroussinoffroad

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ferd
Engine Size
the list is gettin shorter by the day. in no time flat the waggy 44 will be sliding under the front!

I am really tempted to do a complete write up on swapin the 4.0 into a carbed B2 but I think it is gonna take hour's! Think anyone would be intrested or find the info usefull? there definately isnt much usefull info on this particular swap as ppl are mostly doin it to fuely vehicles???

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I will say that one day, my truck may see a 4.0 as my 2.8 wont last forever. My truck already has the fuel pumps on it for EFI but my in tank one is shot.

Boggin

Reaction score
so we got the truck sittin level now and we ran into an issue.

First off the lift kit uses the plate style drop bracket, which i know is frowned upon but hey it work's. But now that the front is sittin level with the rear. when you go over large whoop's with any speed the center yoke (middle axle joint) come's in contact with the drop bracket. more specifically the bolt's for the center drop bracket. we have tried maxxing out the flex and cant seem to get it close but it is most definately when the front is compressed hard. not sure what we are going to do to remedy this but if it's and issue now im sure it will be magnafied when the 35 is swapped in. Not like the truck will be runnin the BAJA or anything we may just have to move the bumpstop's down significantly to keep them from interfering with eachother.
when i get the lift from you what ill probably do is before i install with everything else bolted up i will cycle the suspension up to see how far it will go and then add bumpstops there, should be easier than cycling the suspension with the coils installed like you tried

kroussinoffroad

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ferd
Engine Size
wheelin TTb compared to Solid axle is similar to drag racing a honda compared to mustang

it can be done but there is alot more you have to do to make it performe well

(oh boy is this gonna start the debate)

Boggin

Reaction score
I agree 100 percent, I am just unsure of beating on a jeep axle with 33s, since a d28 couldn't handle 235s in my experience I am just not sure of the 30. I do have a d44 out of a 79 bronco that was a spare for my bronco and I debated narrowing that one but I doubt I'll do that. What size tires are you running on your d30, 33s?

kroussinoffroad

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ferd
Engine Size
yeah 33's i havent experienced any catastrophic failure YET. however i am on my second axle. the first needed all new bearing everywhere. found it was cheaper to just replace it as i am building a HP44 out of a 77 ford. the axle hold's up pretty well as long as you dont drive it like your on 1-ton's which i have from time to time. has held up to mud, high speed sand whoop's (air time), and what little rock's we have around here. goin 44 partialy due to strength and partially to width.

Last edited:

Boggin

Reaction score
yeah i think i may put a d30 in it instead of a d35, my mud truck is the 79 so the b2 will just be a dd so she will only see a couple feet of snow and trails up in the hills so the d30 probably would hold up

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
You see if you can find th vids of him mudding with his D30. From the looks of it, he doesnt hold back on it plus with a 4.0 and doing all this, I think you may be just fine.

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
wheelin TTb compared to Solid axle is similar to drag racing a honda compared to mustang

it can be done but there is alot more you have to do to make it performe well

(oh boy is this gonna start the debate)
not really- my dana 35 ttb flexes really good right now. so no reason to go to the next step. of course I have 33's, dana 35, limited slip, 6 inch lift, skyjacker long arms, bw1354 with explorer drive shaft, and i already clearanced the axle beam window.:icon_rofl::icon_thumby:

I would like to switch to a dana 44 HP just to gain more clearance under pumpkin. It really plows in the snow

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well I might be doing this same swap to my truck. Co-worker has a ranger that had a 4.0 put into it (told its a gen 1?) But it does run. As far as driving told that the tranny is shot (an auto tranny in it) and its a 2wd. All he wants for the truck is $100. Hopefully go look at it soon, tow it to my house yank out the engine and everything it needs to run it the tow the rest of the truck to a J/Y to scrap it off. I just need to find a stronger tranny (manual of course) for the 4.0, dont think my TK4 will hold up to any abuse that I may put it through. But I plan on reebuilding the engine from scratch, depending on its condition, so that should give me time to find a tranny.

How the BII holding up so far, having fun with it?

kroussinoffroad

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ferd
Engine Size
honestly if you do get the truck I would focous on just swapin the motor in. once the motor is in place, running and driving then i would look for a similar 4.0 to rebuild. once the motor is in place it will be easy to replace. however if you take your time and do thing's right this swap is gonna take some time. Check on the location of the computer i'm not sure if those are in the kick panel or in the inner fender like the Gen2's, if it's in the inner fender (driver's side) it is doable but you need to either make a waterproof box or extend the wire's into the cab. This swap was nowhere as easy as anyone portrayed. i dont think it would be possiable to get done in 1 weekend if you are doing it into a 2.8 truck. definately alot of cutting, splicing, some welding, finaggling and figuring

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I'll do stuff the first time around and just rebuild the engine then put it in if it needs it. Going to put new gaskets on it all the way around and a HV oil pump if I dont rebuild it from scratch. I think its already in a gen1 truck just what like i have so as far as wiring goes I will just copy the setup in the other truck to mine. May just hook up the 4.0 to my TK4 tranny while im on the look out for a 4.0 maunal tranny and transfercase.

Got pics of the waterproof box that you made?

kroussinoffroad

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ferd
Engine Size
yeah I'll post up some pic's as alot has been done since the last update. i do hvac work so making a box took me about 5 min's but it serves the purpose.

kroussinoffroad

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ferd
Engine Size
hmm look's like i still need to post some pic's that were requested. well as far as progress, not a whole lot has been made. it's been just sittin for the better part of a month now. not sure how ready it's gonna be for this spring but we'll see.

kroussinoffroad

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ferd
Engine Size
waggy dana44 is backtogether after goin thru wheelbearings,break's and spindle bearing's. planin on runing a pair of explorer leaf's up front as that is what we had layin around that was still in good shape. still waitin on the soa perche's. and uppin the tire size to a set of 35'' BFg A/T's is everything work's out. pic's to come soon.