•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Project El Taco...1990 BII

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
DAMNIT! Ok.....I was really wanting to buy that engine..but never contacted him because he thought his stuff was GOLDEN!! lol. Glad engine and trans went to a good home!! I look forward to following this build.

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Working on it, trying to raise some $$ for the project.

Got some changes im going to make to it, I havent given up, ill get some updates as soon as I have anything substantial to post.

93Ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93, 96
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 4.0
woo, been a while, anything new going on with the project yet?
BUMP for an awesome build.

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Alright guys, little update.

I have the B2 sitting on all four wheels again. I had to source a D35 which I got from the JY, and I had to buy a new radius arm crossmember, rockauto sells them new fairly cheap.

I did the explorer rear leaf spring swap w/o the overloads, and it sits a little more than stockish with 30x9.5 Maxxis Bighorns, Id say there might have been a 1-2" lift, its hard to tell since I never measured with the stock springs. I was more after the stiffer ride over the lift.

The front D35 is out of a 93 explorer and Im using the front coils. With no engine the thing sits sky high in the front, but I assume it will all change when the SOHC is in there.

Today I grabbed the injector harness from a 90 4.0 ranger at the JY, it was different than the 93? injector harness that I was planning on using. The connector to the main harness is square instead of round like the 90 harness. The computer was gone out of the 90 ranger, but I lucked out and found a Navajo with a 90 computer in it.

Next project is to run the 4.0 main harness and set the SOHC in for good.

I get some pics up tomorrow.

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Here is some pics, I pretty much got the wiring harness in today.

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
I just read all of this and wow this is great. I saw that you were going to put a solid axle under it and said yes, and then when you said D35 i cried.

I put a TBI on my 2.8 and it runs great, but I can only imagne how great that broncho II is going to drive with that engine.

Keep up the good work.

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yeah, I lost my job and couldnt continue the solid axle I was building. I have to get my shop in order for my new business, so a D35 went back in and I have been working on it everyday for about a week. I wanna have it running very soon.

ford boy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc,4.6,460
im gathering parts to do the same thing to a 84 ranger. pulling motor out of a 01 ranger.not shure if i will us a older 4.0 wirring harness or the one out of the 01. :dunno: i will keep and eye on this build.

fordxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/1992
Vehicle
Fo Mo Co
Engine Size
2.9L....for now/4.0L
Yeah, I lost my job and couldnt continue the solid axle I was building. I have to get my shop in order for my new business, so a D35 went back in and I have been working on it everyday for about a week. I wanna have it running very soon.
that sucks man, hopefully you didn't spend too much on the replacement D35. I haven't even done anything with the one you sold me yet. so what are you gonna do out of the shop, machine and fab work? you could make some $$$ modding volvo heads for 2.3Ls and making brackets like the one you made for the r1HD to fit a manual t case.

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
na, I just got one from PAP, it wasnt too bad. Money is not really an issue at the moment, its mainly that fab equipment I had access to at my old work, thats why I didnt finish the axle. Im working on getting my shop setup with some cool stuff, I just bought a lathe today, and I have a milling machine already. Im working on getting a tig welder here within a couple of weeks. .Things are coming together, I just gotta get the BII running, movable and out of my way

I have plenty of ideas for stuff going through my head right now, I think Ill do fine on my own. After 8 years of working to make somebody else money, im a little burnt out on it, its my turn to make all the money for myself.

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
nice build im pumped for it runnin very cool. you should draw up some diagrams showin how to do the wiring. and get more pics. cause we love those. haha

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well I have been meaning to do an update for awhile.

Im really close to finishing it, well not finishing it, but getting it driveable.

All the suspension is in, explorer rear springs, explorer D35 and front springs, manual hubs.

The engine and transmission is in, I had a custom power steering hose made, replaced the EGR with a homemade IAT bushing in the intake. Peeled the crap off the stock engine harness and re-taped it with the adjusted connector positions. Amazingly enough, the OHV harness fits nearly perfect on the SOHC engine, just minor adustments in positions were needed.

Anyway, Ill get some pictures up very soon, but here is a couple of teasers.

Last edited:

jims89broncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
makes me wish i kept the 4.0 sohc out of my explorer i sold a week ago!! :bawling:

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Alright, lets bring this thread back from the dead....

After doing some wheeling with my friend doug in his XJ, and finally getting some sunny days to work on stuff, I decided to get this sucker running and have fun with it this summer.

Yesterday, I went out to the JY and picked up an almost new clutch hydraulic hose and some inner fenders. Today Doug helped me and we got the T-case in and the shifters hooked up, as well as the injectors rebuilt, intake/fuel rail on and a bunch of little stuff. Tomorrow I plan to hit the JY and grab some stuff and Im hoping to have this thing going by this weekend, its about 85% of the way there. Hopefully I dont have any hang up's.

Also, I challenge anybody to post pics or video of a running SOHC/EEC-IV in a first or second gen RBV. I know there are a couple of people who claim to have done it, but there is no proof, at least that I can find. If your smart enough to do the swap, your smart enough to post video, I know I will as soon as I start it. If nobody can show proof, Im gonna claim first documented SOHC/EEC-IV swap.

Anyway, here is a couple of pics... More tomorrow.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
wow i remember this thread from a long time back, guess i never subscribed

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
SUBSCRIBED!:icon_thumby:

I think you might be the 1st one to mount a Navajo grill on a B2 too!